Mega day on the drillings..................

Catamong

Cat is very much a 12g man.. being a top end clay shooter as he is...

If I shot more Clay's, I'd probably have a 12g too - but I shoot the old straw bale once in a blue moon.

haha fair enough.

although.. i prefer 12 for field and 20 for clays :yes:

each to their own. :blush::hmm:

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There's an update to this story I do believe :lol:

Well shot mate

500 birds in under a week is going some!

Gutted I had to work today... let's hope your shooting on Saturday is in keeping with the form!!

Cheers Pal, I'd originally intended to go to France for a couple of days, but they'd arranged another "day of action" there over their disgust at raising the retirement age to 62...can you believe it..?? :good:

So, I stayed at home and went out "on spec" as they say, I followed the dawn flight from the roosting woods over 2 farms that I thought would produce, but no, the birds kept on going to a field that was drilled with wheat last Thursday, that always produces some big bags.

After a quick call to the farmer to tell him I'd be there I got set up, unfortunately for me I couldn't drive to the hide position, it was a 350 yard uphill hike, a real slog with all the gear.

I took 150 carts with me as usual with another 225 in reserve in the motor, got set up by 8.50am, they started flooding in from literally all sides, it was fast and furious yet again, I had to go back to the motor for more ammo, but when my magnet battery gave up the ghost at 2pm I decided to call it a day, as I had a major pick up job to do, single handed and without any help from Floyd..!! :lol:

I had 222 on the clicker, but I actually picked up 232, I must have stopped clicking on a few during the red hot period between 11.30 and 1.00pm, over that period as fast as I could get shells in the gun, there were birds over the deeks. :lol:

I had to make 6 trips up and down that damn hill to get my bag and gear back to the motor, I only had one box of shells left in the car, so I fired 350, I'm totally pooped, it's exhausting shooting so many and then carrying them back to the car.

Just for a change I used my Gamba Daytona 31" O/U today, with 1/4 & 3/8 chokes, instead of my usual Benelli Supersport S/A, I even used a couple of boxes of 28 gram trap shells I got from France, and they worked OK, however my preference is always for 32 gram 6's.

There were loads of Red Kites about today, they're dumb birds, floating around over the deeks and spooking the incoming pigeons, but the weather was spot on, a stiff breeze and plenty of cloud, just perfect. :hmm:

No pics I'm afraid, couldn't be bothered today, too busy picking up dead birds. :D

I'm looking forward to a more leisurely day on the Pheasants this Saturday. :lol:

Cat.

Edited by Catamong

Another great day Cat, congratulations. :angry:

Perhaps you should consider selling a few days. :hmm:

Yes, thanks for that, it was a superb, if tiring day.

I have invited other Forum members out on days with me Pigeon shooting, the results have been mixed, some have really enjoyed themselves and have learned a lot about this game, others have turned up several hours late nursing serious hangovers, and clearly not fit for anything, let alone a days serious shooting. It's difficult to plan anything too far in advance as I don't know for certain whether I'm out shooting on a Sunday until about 4pm on the Saturday, as I always do a full recce to work out exactly where the birds are feeding and whereabouts to put the hide.

It's difficult to tell just what sort of an individual you are dealing with from PM's, I would never expect any payment for a day, as it's only a hobby to me, if I had to earn a living from it, that would be a different ball game. :hmm:

I'm not even sure whether I'm out this Sunday, it all depends what we can find after a morning on the driven Pheasants.

Cat.

Yes, thanks for that, it was a superb, if tiring day.

I have invited other Forum members out on days with me Pigeon shooting, the results have been mixed, some have really enjoyed themselves and have learned a lot about this game, others have turned up several hours late nursing serious hangovers, and clearly not fit for anything, let alone a days serious shooting. It's difficult to plan anything too far in advance as I don't know for certain whether I'm out shooting on a Sunday until about 4pm on the Saturday, as I always do a full recce to work out exactly where the birds are feeding and whereabouts to put the hide.

It's difficult to tell just what sort of an individual you are dealing with from PM's, I would never expect any payment for a day, as it's only a hobby to me, if I had to earn a living from it, that would be a different ball game. ???

I'm not even sure whether I'm out this Sunday, it all depends what we can find after a morning on the driven Pheasants.

Cat.

Well done again Cat, it`s good to see that you can share your days and your knowledge on the sport. Shame you had to pick up all those birds yourself??? If you ever need another decent gun with a dog then call.... Ps i did manage a 81 on the charridy day, HAPPY HUNTING. :ernyha: