Mega day on the drillings..................

Catamong

You've all heard the old saying, "the field was blue with pigeons", well on this occasion, even I was surprised at just how "blue" it was, the whole field was literally carpeted with feeding Woodies.

That was on the Friday lunchtime, after a tip off from the Farmer, and he wasn't far wrong.

He'd given me the key to the gate at the top of the field, so, joy of joys, we could drive right up to the hide position.

I had a quick word with garyb, we'd originally planned to go out on Sunday, but in view of the amount of birds there on the Friday, I knew they wouldn't be around in that quantity for that long, so, much to the annoyance of gazza's girlfriend, we shot on the Saturday.

Heavy overnight rain meant a late start, we weren't in position till gone 9.00, but the wind was behind us, unfortunately with the sun in our faces, a bit of a compromise.

Right from the word go the birds flooded in, we used 2 deaduns on the magnet, plus nearly every bird that was shot was put out as a decoy, we had quite a high hedge behind us, which gave us some great shots as birds came streaking downwind over our heads.

Gary had young Floyd the Spaniel along as a retriever, he did a cracking job picking up the odd runner, but got a bit carried away at times, being a bit over excited, simply couldn't wait to get out there.

By 12 noon we had the magic ton on the clicker and they were still pouring in, no sign of a lull, Gazza was confident we could do a double ton, I reckoned it was possible if they kept coming at that rate, not only that, Gazza's markmanship was spot on despite the fact that he was using a 20 bore, I lost count of the lovely right and lefts he had, he was swinging the gun with so much confidence, he'd make a good clay shot if he didn't spend so much time dog training.

There was little time for a food break, we took it in turns to grab a cup of soup or a sandwich, there were so many birds about.

By 2pm we'd got 200 birds on the clicker, Floyd had gone for a well earned rest in the 4X4, and we agreed to call it a day at 250, so we packed up at 3.15pm with 252 birds on the clicker.

It took us over an hour to tidy up, there were a few shell cases to clear, and a mountain of dead birds.

This is the hide just as we packed up:

Pigeons231010003.jpg

And here's Gary and Floyd both looking pretty pleased:

Pigeons231010007.jpg

Days like that don't come along too often, we actually picked up 239 birds, a great days sport..!!

Cat.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A top day...

Still feeling very tired and I know the dog is too!

I'd like to thank my main sponsor "Mungler Cabs of Billericay" for their kind cartridge donation... couldn't have done it without you :good:

Edited by garyb

Hi Cat,

I got out on the field directly behind where you were shooting yesterday, the buzzards were haveing a good feed on a couple of birds you didn't piick.

I set up about 11ish and it was slow for about a hour then they started to come in in 1s 2s up to groupes of 20.

I packed up about 3 after running out of carts and i had 74 on the clicker. If i had more carts i could have had a red letter day as well.

The flight line had moved along to the old M10 and where i was set up was a bit out of view from there line, other wise i would have run out of carts a lot quicker.

So where you were was a better spot as the birds could see you from there flight line.

I was going to shoot that field last Saturday but the Italians were out just standing in the bushes taking pot shots, but i have herd through Gary that they are no longer allowed on there which is great news. But i did here others on there yesterday but dont know who they were :good:

Well done lads anyway, just shows th

that last winter didn't kill all the Herts birds

PELTMAN :good:

Good day there chaps , well done :lol:

PS, don't tell me Cats gone picture shy :o :lol:

There you go, I knew there was one somewhere............my thumb's still sore from shoving so many shells up the mag of my Benelli Supersport. :hmm:

Pigeons231010006.jpg

Unfortunately the "White" woodie is already at the Game Dealers, he wasn't pure white but a bit mottled, I was cursing Gazza for wasting a shell on what I thought was a feral, I didn't see it clearly as I was watching other birds coming in on my side of the hide, but he was adamant it was a woodie, and so it was, I picked it up behind the hedge 5 minutes later. :hmm:

Cat.