Which Moderator

Glensman

Spent the last 20mins trying to find the answer in old posts.... but...

I just zeroed my new .270 and although the recoil is manageable, my Schmidt 6x42 is lacking eye relief :good: I checked the webpage and it's 3.27 inches.

Rather than rush out to change scope I was thinking I'll probably need a mod at some stage anyway and I have a slot for one. I always liked the idea of an over-barrel mod because I think the gun would handle better. However, I've heard the T8's are prone to rust.

So...

My Howa is stainless so I was thinking an ASE Ultra or Jet-z?

Do ASE do an over-barrel mod?

Are there any non-T8 over-barrel mods that are good?

Wildcat Predator 8, strippable cleanable and if you have more than one rifle another £60ish and you can swap them over !

Yeah I seen the post for your adaptor mate... Mite look into one of those. Any other Suggestions?

@ Ollie. Not over it completely mate, think my eye socket and nose took most of it! :good: :good: :good:

The Predator 8 is a big mod but isn't heavy. It can be stripped for cleaning and seems to work well. I like mine.

The Ase range seem good too. I have an S5 which isn't strippable, weighs the same as the P8 but is 1/3 the size. It's good but I'm not sure I'd buy another. Better to have some of the weight over the barrel as it then feels lighter. This mod is bomb proof though!

Ase also do the Northstar. Very nice mod. I've not used one but they're all stainless and more compact than the Wildcat. I'm keen to try one as I've read great reviews. They can't be stripped but the build quality is that good you'll never need to anyway (and they're stainless). It's over barrel too so doesn't add too much length.

The Pes mods are lovely and slim. Again they work well but I'd want a stainless one. I've known them to rust easily if not.

I wouldn't buy a T8 with the other options that are available. Did you know that initially were intended to be cheap disposable items for the military? Would I pay the same price as a P8 for something that's made of bog standard steel and can't be cleaned properly! Not likely! :)

Guys, as always- thanks for the great answers. I'm leaning toward the ASE Northstar but I'm going to get my dealer to price me up it and a wildcat to see what it works out at.

I want something fairly low maintenance, light, compact and preferably over-barrel... :)

The Mod question goes round and round, and there is without doubt a lot of history on the site about them.

There is a lot to consider, size, weight, over barrel, stripable, usage/life expectancy, and cost is a factor for many, the overall sound reduction does not vary a lot between most of them.

So decisions have to be made, many suggest the Predator 8 and they work for me, but the COMPACT version is rarely mentioned, it works even better for me as its smaller and lighter than the full version but still has exactly the same baffle stack!

It's my first choice at the moment and serves my purpose!

ATB!!

.223/.243/.308

EDIT

The tube below the mod top right is the tube from a full P8 which I converted to Compact, and shows how much bigger/heavier the full P8 is. :hmm:

post-20848-1288899926.jpg

Edited by Dekers

The P8 is good but is not what I'd call compact!

The normal P8 is pretty long (300mm total, 200mm over barrel), but the Compact is a fair bit shorter (212mm total, 112mm over barrel)

There are 6 different lengths in total - i have the Steyr version (250mm total, 150mm over barrel)