The Student Protests

Mungler

What a lot of people on here seem to be missing is not that students are against paying towards their education, in fact none that I have heard interviews have stated that and most have expressed a wish to contribute.

It is the fact that it is to TRIPLE in price and will automatically make attendance at university more elitist, with the rich not caring and the poor not being able to afford to go.

Class War anyone???

Ironically, I suspect that many of the people slating them for protesting about such a significant increase in costs, potentially disrupting their planned futures beyond their control will be the same people on here in January bellyaching about the VAT rise :rolleyes:

We are all about to be bent over by this government as with Maggie, but they have the foresight not to just steamroller in as she did but are attempting to divide the country in the hopes that we don't notice what they are doing as we are too busy squabbling among ourselves!!

As for that jug-eared **** Charlie and his waste of blood and gristle missus, what the hell were they doing there anyway??

'Oh Charlie, can we go and see the proles get a right royal shafting off the government on the way home, might put me in the mood for one too'.

Claims of treason against these puppets, please!!

What a load of old clap trap.

"This" government has been in power all of 5 minutes and is trying desperately to shovel away the massive poo laid over the course of the last decade by the labour party.

To lay any blame at "this" government's door is frankly hilarious. There is a bit of me that wished labour had won the last election and were currently in power. Who could the delusional lefties then blame? Oh yeah, it was Thatcher... :rolleyes:

Edited by Mungler

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not disputing that chap, but I don't think that the conservative agenda has changed much over the years. Labour may have put the icing on the cake but the country's downward spiral began many years ago.

"Icing on the cake?"

you are joking right?

this country was in a far far better state when Labour took over than when they left...

it happens everytime they get in......

If Labour hadnt signed us up to the "human rights" agenda just to keep Tony's wife in a job we wouldnt have the problems we have now.....

The "Dome" was built cos Tony's kid thought it would be a good idea....

Labour have been a joke for a long time and always will be...."Things can only get better"....yeah right!!

I think Labour might have made a difference if John Smith hadnt died and let "new labour" take hold,

Blair wanted to be a tory.....

Shaun

What a load of old clap trap.

"This" government has been in power all of 5 minutes and is trying desperately to shovel away the massive poo laid over the course of the last decade by the labour party.

To lay any blame at "this" government's door is frankly hilarious. There is a bit of me that wished labour had won the last election and were currently in power. Who could the delusional lefties then blame? Oh yeah, it was Thatcher... :rolleyes:

Just to be clear, I have no allegiance to Labour, but I do believe that conservative are just a different side of the same coin.

Of course they are furiously shovelling, it is the promise that they got in under.

Will they continue shovelling or will they turn out to be as self-serving as any other politicians over the last XXX years?

That is another question and I would love to be proven wrong on this one and them get the country back on track :yes: .

is it a promise they got in under or is it blatantly ovbvious we'd be in the same situation as Greece and Ireland if we kept putting everything on credit. They have a proven history of getting spending under control and then the unwashed vote labour back in and the cycle goes round again.

As for self service well just a quick one does the PM actually need to work?

Edited by al4x

What a lot of people on here seem to be missing is not that students are against paying towards their education, in fact none that I have heard interviews have stated that and most have expressed a wish to contribute.

It is the fact that it is to TRIPLE in price and will automatically make attendance at university more elitist, with the rich not caring and the poor not being able to afford to go.

Class War anyone???

Ironically, I suspect that many of the people slating them for protesting about such a significant increase in costs, potentially disrupting their planned futures beyond their control will be the same people on here in January bellyaching about the VAT rise :rolleyes:

We are all about to be bent over by this government as with Maggie, but they have the foresight not to just steamroller in as she did but are attempting to divide the country in the hopes that we don't notice what they are doing as we are too busy squabbling among ourselves!!

As for that jug-eared **** Charlie and his waste of blood and gristle missus, what the hell were they doing there anyway??

'Oh Charlie, can we go and see the proles get a right royal shafting off the government on the way home, might put me in the mood for one too'.

Claims of treason against these puppets, please!!

Biggest load of claptrap posted on PW for a long while.

As for self service well just a quick one does the PM actually need to work?

Does it matter? Whether he needs to work or not is irrelevant, whatever his situation I maintain that he does not do this because he is so tired of crying himself to sleep worrying about whether mine or your mortgages are paid this month.

As I said, I hope he is a better man than I give him credit for and manages to turn the country round, but I guarantee that whatever he does will result in the pockets of the public being as empty as they feel they can get away with, hence my initial comment.

, but I guarantee that whatever he does will result in the pockets of the public being as empty as they feel they can get away with, hence my initial comment.

yep that is exactly what will happen and its the only way out of this sadly, the only way forward is carefully balance cutting spending and raising tax and this is why! Gordon tried to spend his way out of this and its a slightly strange concept

http://www.debtbombshell.com/

Edited by al4x

As for it being a class issue how many parents are going to stump up 9k a year for their kids while at uni? some may but the majority won't and realistically that then leaves the students on an even footing. They will be equally qualified and in theory earn the same over a lifetime so why should it be down to parents to pay

Nail hit on head

The student loan rates are very low and only repaid when earning a certain amount, ok so it might take a while to repay but it's not going to cripple them.

Im going to stick my head above the parapet but how about all those on this site who went to uni way back when it was free should pay back the cost of said degrees with interest? dont think that would go down well. And is it right those looking to do a medical degree could be stumped with £9000 a year of debt for tuition? this is without the cost of accommodation and living in a 7 year degree thats a hell of a lot of debt. I also don't think its right to treble the cost of fees from one year to the next it could have been a more gradual increase. It wont effect me as im starting in september after a gap year so i'll still be on the current fees and i think that fees should be increased but not at such a drastic rate and I also think the scots should damn well start having to pay the same as english and welsh students do. However the violence and vandalism performed by these students makes me feel sick.

George

Im going to stick my head above the parapet but how about all those on this site who went to uni way back when it was free should pay back the cost of said degrees with interest? dont think that would go down well. And is it right those looking to do a medical degree could be stumped with £9000 a year of debt for tuition? this is without the cost of accommodation and living in a 7 year degree thats a hell of a lot of debt. I also don't think its right to treble the cost of fees from one year to the next it could have been a more gradual increase. It wont effect me as im starting in september after a gap year so i'll still be on the current fees and i think that fees should be increased but not at such a drastic rate and I also think the scots should damn well start having to pay the same as english and welsh students do. However the violence and vandalism performed by these students makes me feel sick.

George

Watch this space......its under review

shaun

And is it right those looking to do a medical degree could be stumped with £9000 a year of debt for tuition? this is without the cost of accommodation and living in a 7 year degree thats a hell of a lot of debt.

Ok why should we pay for them to better themselves, the average gp gets (if you believe the papers) 80-90k so in one year they could afford to pay off the debt not taking into consideration food, gas, electric but you get the jist .So one years salary then you have the rest of your working life ,Hmmmm small price to pay.

Should get rid off the stupid worthless degrees out there

I work in a jobcentre and a third of all my customers,cough cough, are in the 18-24 age bracket. Half of them are graduates. they cannot find work. Most of them when I ask why they studied in their field say it was because it was the thing to do and had no idea whatsoever what they would do with their degree. most of them put retail down on their job seekers agreement, even if their degree is in bio-science. there were not enough placements for grads ten years ago abd there are certainly not enough for them now. subsidise important degrees such as engineering, medicine and ex-officers of the army and charge for fine arts and media studies and sociology.

jim

I work in a jobcentre and a third of all my customers,cough cough, are in the 18-24 age bracket. Half of them are graduates. they cannot find work. Most of them when I ask why they studied in their field say it was because it was the thing to do and had no idea whatsoever what they would do with their degree. most of them put retail down on their job seekers agreement, even if their degree is in bio-science. there were not enough placements for grads ten years ago abd there are certainly not enough for them now. subsidise important degrees such as engineering, medicine and ex-officers of the army and charge for fine arts and media studies and sociology.

jim

I do agree with that last sentence Because thats what we need

subsidise important degrees such as engineering, medicine and ex-officers of the army and charge for fine arts and media studies and sociology.

jim

As a Charted Chemical engineer I can not agree more (spits on media students LOL), but it is all supply and demand.

Just look at the plumbers shortage a few years back, and then everyone was packing in their stockbrooker jobs to be plumbers, then to many plumbers.

Same in my industry, 1998 when I graduated, 10 people in my class as chemcial engineering was not "trendy", placment student I had working for me last year 300 in his class! He gets a 1st class Masters (you have to go for masters now as a dergee is taken as run of the mill) and he still can not get a job.

There is work out there, good paid work in skill shortage areas (science/Engineering) and still a skills gap extends.

I have just read paper and watched news on the attack on Prince Charles and his horses car - I am totally disgusted and hope the Police find those responsible - How could anyone do damage to such a lovely old RR.

dave

:lol: I am very close to the deputy editor of a national newspaer who is of the opinion it was a put up job to grab a headline and not perpetrated by student protestors at all. He cant print that of course because i think it may be his newspaper who paid to have it done... ;)

Intersting the decension in the house and the close vote though...things are not rosy in the coalition garden ;) This could be the beginning of the end for the three schoolboys.....I certainly hope so..They are utterly clueless massive defecit or not. :yes:

Far to many University places available and far too many students passing A levels. As I said before University should be free, encourage the elite and entry criteria should be made harder by similarly stopping the easy passing of A levels which no longer means Advanced but moreover Average....Too many teenagers leaving school now expecting to go to University to study for degrees that are just not needed in their chosen career. Ofsted and the Current education system have created this problem and its only them who can sort it out.

I blame the imigran.....................oh wait, that was the other one :lol::lol:

It should be like this. If you are clever, then you can go and get it payed for. If you are daft, then you should be sent down 't pit.

No point polishing a ****, you only get ****ty hands.

Edited by MM

This could be the beginning of the end for the three schoolboys.....I certainly hope so..They are utterly clueless massive defecit or not. :yes:

What was the alternative gordon brown and blunkett, Or should i say the blind leading the blind. At the end of the day everyone is getting sqeezed because of a inept labour goverment, hell bent on linning there own pockets

So, the Country is skint and the numbers involved are ridiculous; the level of the Country's debt is like winning the Euro Millions lottery quintuple roll over and then placing a bet on a horse at a billion to one and in coming in.

So, it's belt tightening time. VAT's going up, prices are going up, benefits are being slashed.... Should the students be exempt?

I've done a degree and it was fun. Yes I learnt 'stuff' and got a degree but it was a massive f-about. Don't get me wrong, through my degree I had a part time job that was "car counting" for a market research company - yes, it sounds daft but we did 16 hour shifts by the roadside and I earnt enough to have to pay a fair whack of income tax.

The core point however is this... I could have done the degree course in 12 months full time, possible 18 months and 24 months at an absolute push. I genuinely believe that the average degree course can be done in less than 2 years and possibly 1 year full time working hard. How's that for slashing the cost of a degree course?

Indeed, back in the old days people that wanted to get on went to night school.

And on that note, until the Open University students go on a march and reap havoc then I'm not interested.

Some courses are easier to manage timewise,and in a nutshell yes a degree course could be done in a shorter timespan but is the quality still there at the end of it?

If you look at the Europeans for example, to gain a degree in engineering (France or Germany etc) it is the full bifta of five years. And yes the quality is there although in fact they specialize in more unique areas of one subject.

Its alright saying in doing it in a shorter timescale but should'nt we be striving towards the par excellance that we as the United Kingdom have traditionally always been proud of?

While you are on the subject of basket weaving, there is a fella from my neck of the woods who made his his mint from basket weave products made from traditional methods- selling them to the nouveau rich professionals who like something baskety to put their shopping in at the delicatessen on a saturday afternoon.

Funny thing is, he did no degree in it, in fact when I was at school with him he was a skinhead.........

Edited by starlight32