HEATING OIL TANK HELP!

SHOOTEMUP

Only last week they tried to steal my heating oil but the dogs caught them befor they got any.

Obviously the dogs are not there all the time so I have now put a board fence round it so they will need a ladder but how can I improve on this to really put them off trying?

I await your learned advice :good:

I had thought of an electric fence but it might hurt them, also we have had two pieces of land near us bought by travellers and as they are always driving round past our house both day and night I want as much security as possible for my family and property,not that I am suggesting for one minute that they were involved in the last attempt but the van I saw when they tried to take the oil last time lives at one of the camps :hmm:

I have put trip wire alarm mines but to be honest they arent daft and soon suss them out and cut the wire however well its hidden.

We had our iol stolen a couple of years ago and that lost us £400 so with the latest increase from 44pence a litre to 82 we just cannot afford to lose it.

So PLEASE PLEASE if you have any ideas please share them with me, it really is both worrying and makes me so Bloody mad..

Edited by SHOOTEMUP

Conceal it, lock it up put up lights fence it ,if the thieving ####s can get a pump to it they will,they then sell it for 60pa litre and some one will buy it,because it's cheap ,put it this way up the road from us they drove 4 miles off road drained a hot tub and had it away while the owners were in,so the brick wall round it would need a lid/roof to stop a true oil thief

complete.jpg

Pics are a few years old but you get the idea. Built it up higher now and built the sides up with spare wall stones to match the house and pointed it all in. Quite a heavy duty wall now and it offers good protection to the tank.

Thanks for the answers so far, I have already put a high board fence round it about 8 foot but that dont seem to put them off.

As for a lock I have been told by others in the area that the thieving S*ds just prise it off which ruins the tank so more expense.

Fit an outdoor PIR sensor, either to your existing house alarm(If you have one)or a wireless one.

http://www.ultrasecuredirect.com/acatalog/perimeter-and-driveway-alarms.html

Another option is to wire a 230v PIR to a 230v sounder.

These options will alert you before they can get anywhere near your tank.

Also you could use this, but it wont alert you until they are draining the tank.

http://www.ultrasecuredirect.com/acatalog/Watchman_fuel_tank_alarm.html

Edited by proud dad

With your alarm mines do not attach the end of the line to the tab that engages in the firing pin, Fit the trip line with about 6" of bungee elastic at each end and make sure it is tight and then tie the firing tab close to one end of one of the bungees ,That way if someone trips it it will go off and if the line is cut it will go off.

If you position the alarm mine the right way you can get away with just one length of bungee and put the trip line through the padlock fitting and over the tank's top hatch that way lifting or messing around with it will result in a very loud noise.

Edited by Andy H

I think the best thing would be for people to refuse the offer of cheap oil when they are offered it?

I have never been offered cheap heating oil, and would'nt entertain it if I was it due to the fact most new oil boilers are now running in at 2k with the vat and that is without installation, you just dont know what is in the stuff.

I ended up moving my tank into the workshop beside the house a while ago. Far better for them not know you have one that anything else. I am glad I did after the price increases lately.

I think the best thing would be for people to refuse the offer of cheap oil when they are offered it?

I have never been offered cheap heating oil, and would'nt entertain it if I was it due to the fact most new oil boilers are now running in at 2k with the vat and that is without installation, you just dont know what is in the stuff.

I ended up moving my tank into the workshop beside the house a while ago. Far better for them not know you have one that anything else. I am glad I did after the price increases lately.

That's the idea put the whole tank in a garage,my mate replcaces tanks and has seen holes drilled in the plastic tanks at any level just enough to get a tube in,but he does sell oil that they strain out the bottom of the old tanks,but that's the only cheaper legal oil I have ever heard of,

That's the idea put the whole tank in a garage,my mate replcaces tanks and has seen holes drilled in the plastic tanks at any level just enough to get a tube in,but he does sell oil that they strain out the bottom of the old tanks,but that's the only cheaper legal oil I have ever heard of,

Thanks for the repies so far, any other ideas folks??

Trouble is that my tank is next to a field and that is where they get in, even though the fence is high! :sly:

not really as with a plastic tank its easily drilled, as said make sure its well lit and possibly if you are that worried get a small cctv set up covering it and possibly the field as well. Then at least you have evidence for the police, a decent dog with free run of the garden helps make a noise just depends f anyone is near enough to hear

http://www.Tanklok.com/

Would this work on your tank?

Not going to be bullet proof by a long way, but if it makes yours more hassle than someone elses then job done.

Thanks for that but my tank is steel with a 2" filler at both sides and even the locking ones to fit those at around £75.00 they just rip off and ruin the tank which at the moment I cant afford to replace!

Once again thanks to you and everyone else for your advice. :good:

not really as with a plastic tank its easily drilled, as said make sure its well lit and possibly if you are that worried get a small cctv set up covering it and possibly the field as well. Then at least you have evidence for the police, a decent dog with free run of the garden helps make a noise just depends if anyone is near enough to hear

The last time they emptied the tank they took out the security light with a catapult and the dogs were inside at the time!

so they would probably do the same with CCTV cameras?

How about this one then?

http://www.shelfordheating.co.uk/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=76&Itemid=292

Like i said, its not a case of making it impossible to steal from the tank, its about making your tank more hassle than its worth.

Sorry just read your comment on these ones and them ripping them off.

you need a mate to knock up a big steel band to go around the tank which has covers for both filling points and a padlock that allows it to be removed or the covered parts opened.

The last time they emptied the tank they took out the security light with a catapult and the dogs were inside at the time!

so they would probably do the same with CCTV cameras?

only if they can see them, they are pretty small these days, as for the security light just fit a pane of acrylic over the front should stop them. Realistically if they want it they will get it just make it as hard as possible, if they are coming over a back fence then plant a load of berberis in front of it. Makes a nice looking hedge and they won't come over the fence twice onto it!