Need new wellies

sitsinhedges

After getting a hole in some wellies I am going to buy some more. I also have two pairs of the Hunter short welly but was thinking of buying a neoprene pair for the warmth. My O/H has a pair of Muckboots but the soles are very thick and they look like Frankenstein boots on her delicate little pins so I think maybe something a bit lighter for me.

Any suggestions bearing in mind that I like cheap :blush:

I think this is a tricky one and I have had this dilemma myself.

Depends on a lot of things, are we considering all weathers and freezing ice, snow, frosts, etc, are we beating or simply walking, is the terrain rough and do we need support, etc etc etc.

I don't get on personally with walking type boots, but many do, so I always use wellies.

I have some really cheap, DIY store types and some low end expensive types, none of your £200-300 wellies.

I seem to get by but often feel there may be better, the problem I find is £100+ wellies puncture just as easily as £10 wellies and there is always a Hawthorn, Barbed wire, etc just waiting for me to turn up.

It will be interesting to read other contributions here, I may well pick up some tips myself!

ATB!

I think this is a tricky one and I have had this dilemma myself.

Depends on a lot of things, are we considering all weathers and freezing ice, snow, frosts, etc, are we beating or simply walking, is the terrain rough and do we need support, etc etc etc.

I don't get on personally with walking type boots, but many do, so I always use wellies.

I have some really cheap, DIY store types and some low end expensive types, none of your £200-300 wellies.

I seem to get by but often feel there may be better, the problem I find is £100+ wellies puncture just as easily as £10 wellies and there is always a Hawthorn, Barbed wire, etc just waiting for me to turn up.

It will be interesting to read other contributions here, I may well pick up some tips myself!

ATB!

Of course you are right about the puncturing and one of my Hunters has dweveloped a squelch in the heel, which is great for lamping :rolleyes:

I certainly wont be paying big money for whatever I get because I see wellies as disposable after a lifetime of leaks regardless of price.

After getting a hole in some wellies I am going to buy some more. I also have two pairs of the Hunter short welly but was thinking of buying a neoprene pair for the warmth. My O/H has a pair of Muckboots but the soles are very thick and they look like Frankenstein boots on her delicate little pins so I think maybe something a bit lighter for me.

le chameau verzinod got mine for £114 there comfy ans very warm you wont go wrong with them :good:

I had this dilemma in September and saw a pair of these on a stand at the Burghley Horse Trials, tried on the Classic wellie and promptly bought a pair. The neoprene is nice and thick, lovely and warm, the only problem I think you may find is the thickness of the sole since you mentioned it in your post. These have a big thick vibram type sole that you'd find on a hiking boot, I love them as you get great grip and extra warmth with your foot being that bit better insulated. I'd definately recommend them, but as with everything I'd rather anyone considering a purchase try to find a stockist and try them for themselves rather than taking my word for it!

ATB :good:

http://www.gumleaf.com/categories/gentlemen/wellington-boots/

Edited by Ian750

Have looked at all the wellies about and couldnt decide which ones to take a mortgage on so bought a pair of karrimors form 'sports direct' £19.99 reduced from £50 inc a bag,they have padded insole and adjustable calf and are plenty warm with tog 2.3 socks :good:

Best solution: Pair of hard soled boots matched with Berghaus Yeti gaiters.Keep you bone dry and much easier for the hill.

I know they are exspenciv but le Chameau all the way if you shop around you can get full zip neo for 150 like wearing slippers with good grip and I have never punctured a pair. Ps have punctured hunters agile and they fall apart. My current Chameau boots are five years old just purchased a new pair as I have worn the soles out

In my honest opinion, which I know others will no doubt disagree, if you want wellies just buy a pair from TOOLSTATION for £8.99. A welly is a welly at the end of the day not a flippin' fashion accessory. They are good enough, I wear them for work and they stand up to it but for £8.99 who cares. Their boots are very good as well

I have had a pair of green Muck boot Esk for the last 3 years and they are awesome. The Esk has ammoisture whicking lining which stops you getting so sweaty, and the rubber lowers are bomb proof. Will set you back £70, but I will never wear anything else again. I use them for fishing as well and have not cleaned them since I bought them.... Work boots. They are instantly warm, grip your ankle so you don't get blisters, and have a good grip. I used to have a pair of Le Chemau gortex "wellie" boots with vibram sole, but a vibram sole needs to be laced to your ankle as it does not bend, and they gave me horrific blisters.. Binned them in the end, and could have had three pairs of muck boots for the same price!

In my honest opinion, which I know others will no doubt disagree, if you want wellies just buy a pair from TOOLSTATION for £8.99. A welly is a welly at the end of the day not a flippin' fashion accessory. They are good enough, I wear them for work and they stand up to it but for £8.99 who cares. Their boots are very good as well

Yup, that's me sorted :blush:

Two pairs for £18 and I don't care if they don't last for years or get punctured like the Hunters I bought last time around :good: