How well did we shoot today? 2011 edition.

paulos

• Replies 941
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I,ve just sent off a cheque for the North South Shoot mate, do I have to register any where or just wait out now for confirmation? :hmm:

I will have too make it a more difficult shoot for Sunday if you were only a couple down out of 50 today!!!!!

Nah, that was hard enough, thank you very much! :yes: Just send me that £100 now and we can save wasting all those shells and cartridges on Sunday <_<:big_boss:

Just got back home after leaving the house this morning at 5-30 for a rather long day trip down to Westfield Shooting ground for the 2nd England Team selection shoot. What a delightful experiance it was too. I only shot a 66 but the targets were brilliant. Quite challenging but i did come to grief on stand 15 were i dropped 7 birds :blush: but some of the birds i did manage to kill, i even shocked myself. I'm not sure who set the course but it was one of the best layouts Ive ever shot. from Auntie. :yes:

Just got back home after leaving the house this morning at 5-30 for a rather long day trip down to Westfield Shooting ground for the 2nd England Team selection shoot. What a delightful experiance it was too. I only shot a 66 but the targets were brilliant. Quite challenging but i did come to grief on stand 15 were i dropped 7 birds :blush: but some of the birds i did manage to kill, i even shocked myself. I'm not sure who set the course but it was one of the best layouts Ive ever shot. from Auntie. :yes:

Glad you enjoyed it, Had a really good turnout at Marne for the charity shoot today considering there was a few other shoots on in the Area.

Had 118 Entries and raised £940 for the Organ Donors.

Paulos won the £100 high gun with 45/50. Think everyone felt sorry for the hard up student :lol:

He shot well today so all credit to him. :good:

Agree with you, a very clever set of birds, certainly sorted me out (63), blanked a couple of birds, but a thoroughly enjoyable day,

kermit

Managed a 69/100 at Lupton today with some tricky birds on offer.I think Shaune shot 74 and i'm sure the other lads will be onto put their scores up.A very enjoyable days shooting with Phil and seb, shaune and Mr Potter also a mystery guest who hopefully may join us on here. Come on KB. from Auntie.

Hi Auntie,

for me 65/100 beating Seb for the first time in a while, he had a bit of an off day but he still sticks at it and he as time on his side.

Take out the rabbits and a couple of the other stands where I completely made a bit of a pigs ear then the score might have been a bit better for me but thats shooting and very enjoyable.

Phil & Seb

Not 100% certain of my score but I think I heard Auntie say I had shot a 78. I wasn't too displeased with that as it was really quite a tough shoot, ignoring the stand with a report pair of very low, very fast driven and by low I mean literally 4 or 5 feet above your head appearing fast from behind a gorse bush no more than 15 feet in front of the stand. Like all but one (Shaun) of our little gang I tried 1 pair and gave up, finding another stand (I think it might have been the pool stand) to replace it. there was an awesome teal on one stand which I think we all only hit 1 of and a straight going away rabbit which again was a bit of a challenge!

All in all a good day, nice weather, good company, tough targets and a meatastic BBQ on the go when I got home.

The only thing that nearly spoiled the day was that I hadn't realised how low on fuel I was and before you start tittering I didn't run out ;);). Stopped at Asda about a mile from home and filled up ready for the rest of the long weekend's shooting, £118.28p lighter in the wallet later I left. As usual the cashier had asked if I wanted a VAT receipt? and I gave my stock answer " I wish I did because it would mean someone else would be paying for it" :lol::lol::lol:

Till tomorrow.

Mr Potter

what did you think of the the stand in the ghyll with evil bird into the bank

Not 100% certain of my score but I think I heard Auntie say I had shot a 78. I wasn't too displeased with that as it was really quite a tough shoot, ignoring the stand with a report pair of very low, very fast driven and by low I mean literally 4 or 5 feet above your head appearing fast from behind a gorse bush no more than 15 feet in front of the stand. Like all but one (Shaun) of our little gang I tried 1 pair and gave up, finding another stand (I think it might have been the pool stand) to replace it. there was an awesome teal on one stand which I think we all only hit 1 of and a straight going away rabbit which again was a bit of a challenge!

All in all a good day, nice weather, good company, tough targets and a meatastic BBQ on the go when I got home.

The only thing that nearly spoiled the day was that I hadn't realised how low on fuel I was and before you start tittering I didn't run out ;);). Stopped at Asda about a mile from home and filled up ready for the rest of the long weekend's shooting, £118.28p lighter in the wallet later I left. As usual the cashier had asked if I wanted a VAT receipt? and I gave my stock answer " I wish I did because it would mean someone else would be paying for it" :lol::lol::lol:

Till tomorrow.

Mr Potter

My hands were hurting when we got to that stand and as i couldnt hold my gun up long enough and the trap kept giving us no birds on the right to left, i ended up shooting the l to r only, so i guess i can't really comment on that one but i did OK on the l to r. from Auntie. :yes:

what did you think of the the stand in the ghyll with evil bird into the bank

Not too shabby on that one, fenntay 9 x 10. We shot the right to left with the left to right on report and it was one of the first birds that I missed.

About the only criticism I had, other than those low fast driven at the top of the course :o :o, was that there was no guidance or recommendation on each stand as to which way round it should be shot. I know it's only practice but it would help, a simple A and B on the buttons would do it.

It would only be a recommendation as everyone wants something different from a non competition shoot. For some it is a competition between friends, thats when the stand instructions are necessary, for others it's a chance to have 50 shots at rabbits or teal or whatever their personal bogey bird is. For many it is playtime, how early or late can I shoot that target, personally I like the following;

If the stand is signed up as A with B on report I will shoot 1 or 2 pairs like that and if I've killed them comfortably I'll take a pair the other way round, B with A on report, you would be surprised how much difference that can make :hmm::hmm: . If I hit both of those I'll finish off with a simultaneous pair, if I don't feel comfortable/missing either of the targets I'll shoot them as a single if required until I have either found them or run out of shells. Occasionally, like those driven targets today I soon realise that if I stood there from then till doomsday I'd only fluke the occasional one.

But that minor criticism aside, a cracking, good value for money shoot, just a pity it's too far away for regular visits.

Mr Potter

yes i agree with what your saying signage on each stand could be better, it used to be , i shoot a 100 and if i struggle on a clay i,ll go back and try and boss it. but as you say part from that a good ground and its only 10 minutes from home

Just got back from the All Round Weekend at Doveridge and am knackered!

Managed 2nd in A Class yesterday at the English Open with an 86 (ABT 23, DTL 22, ESK 22, ESP 19, pipped to 1st place by 1 clay :oops: The shoot was won overall by Richard King, who shot an awesome 99! :o

Went back today at the British Open and faired much better, managing a 93 (ESP 25, DTL 24, ABT 20 :ermm:, ESK 24). That was enough to win me A Class by 5 clays and also put me in joint 3rd overall. Finished off with a 5-way shootoff between myself, Ian Mullarkey, Jack Rowley, Kevin Mayor and Richard King for 3rd place. I lost out, shooting a 23 on the DTL, 1 behind Ian Mullarkey but didn't disgrace myself so can't complain. (Just regretting missing the first bird out - which I'm not too ashamed to admit was due to nerves! :blush: )

Good weekend :yes:

Edited by paulos

Went to a virgin ground, well virgin to me anyway, Orston in Nottinghamshire. What a ground, everything about it was first class from the clubhouse, the grounds which were as tidy and trim as a Stately Home, to the targets which were good but tough hardly a gimme on the course. If anyone is considering going there don't hesitate, in my view it was a match for Hodnet totally different, a flat ground, but at least as good on all criteria.

Surprising considering the praise I've deservedly heaped on the ground I shot rather badly, it was one of the toughest (but fair) shoots I've had the pleasure of competing at for a very long time. The ground is CPSA registered but they also hold competitions under the World Sporting organisation banner. This is a handicap system which I haven't yet understood (is it a viable alternative to the CPSA classification system??)

Can't put it off any longer, a disappointing 75 x 100 but will be interested to see what the final results look like, it was a tough layout.

Till Catton Hall tomorrow

Mr Potter