why do you have to lock away your rifle ammo

farmshooter

Sorry, locking ammo up is a requirement, the bit about the bolt was more another question, hence why I said "do you not have to store the bolt seperate".

It is something I picked up on at my local gunshop, they keep the bolts seperate on guns in storage but not guns locked in the racks, when I picked up my new Cz from them, the rifle was out but the bolt was locked in the safe.

As I say, I do it as it seems to make sense, in the end you just have to make it as difficult as you can for someone who may want to take whats not theirs.

a friend of mine who owns a gun shop removes the bolt before putting them on the rack, to stop people stealing them.

• 2 weeks later...

It’s a bit off topic but when I was in army cadets the rifles were kept in a massive heavy duty safe, in a room with no windows and a heavy steel door.... yet they had this puny chain you put though the trigger guards then secured with a padlock.....

Always made me chuckle.

Actually being very pedantic, none of this is law. It doesn't say it anywhere in the acts governing firearms that you have to. Its in the guidelines which are issued to FEOs which is not the same as law but might as well be for all the difference it makes.

The trouble with that is guidelines are open to interpretation and can be revised or even rewritten at any time. This has happened many times over issues of security,with police operating their own rulebook. I know over the years people who have been told all sorts of things. Things like you can't store more than a certain number of firearms, over three and you require a burglar alarm, ammo cabinet must be on a different floor to main cabinet etc etc.

The overwhelming evidence is that very very few guns which are stolen end up being used in crime. The vast majority are sold abroad. A burglar may leave gun cabinets alone as mentioned in a previous post but he has seen it and could well tip off somebody else. A cabinet with several thousand pounds worth of shotguns is a temptation, but mostly for the cash value.

The overwhelming evidence is that very very few guns which are stolen end up being used in crime. The vast majority are sold abroad. A burglar may leave gun cabinets alone as mentioned in a previous post but he has seen it and could well tip off somebody else. A cabinet with several thousand pounds worth of shotguns is a temptation, but mostly for the cash value.

I think your spot on mate, the idea of burglar nicking guns to use or sell on to other criminals is laughable. .....

The going rate for a sawn off shotgun is apparently about £150-£200.

You’re not going to find many burglars prepared to do a 5 year stint for that

When they could get the same for your laptop and iPod, and only do at most, a few months if they get caught.

Edited by Algiz

• 2 weeks later...

Do you not have to store the bolt somewhere else as well on bolt action rifles

My first FEO didn't make any mention of the bolt being stored securely and separately from the rifle.

But when my current FEO turned up, she said it had to be stored separately. So even FEO's in the same area don't have a common policy it seems :hmm:

Good luck with that one, I find it easier just to comply with most of their requests it seems to speed up certificates etc, but when they are wrong about the law and home office guidelines etc (openly available to all) then I have to diplomatically address the issue.

WHy do we have to lock away ammo? Because it is very dangerous in the wrong hands and it is a controlled product.

Simple really.

Edited by The Duncan

Sorry, locking ammo up is a requirement, the bit about the bolt was more another question, hence why I said "do you not have to store the bolt seperate".

It is something I picked up on at my local gunshop, they keep the bolts seperate on guns in storage but not guns locked in the racks, when I picked up my new Cz from them, the rifle was out but the bolt was locked in the safe.

As I say, I do it as it seems to make sense, in the end you just have to make it as difficult as you can for someone who may want to take whats not theirs.

that was maybe to stop some clown nicking the bolt

I think you'll find gun shops do it for a good reason. If someone decides to leg it whilst sizing up a rifle, they'll not find it easy to fire if it doesn't have a bolt. The FEO will probably expect the shop to take reasonable precautions to ensure fully functioning firearms don't get stolen.

There are three perfectly good reasons why I don't separate them; 1) I don't have to 2) I don't want to have to drive all the way home to collect a forgotten bolt/magazine 3) if a thief manages to get into the cabinet they'll have very little difficulty opening the flimsy door in the ammo safe. In fact, I bet you I could open mine with a crowbar on the first try.

I have 2 cabinets so x-rifle in 1 cab and x-bolt/ammo in the other and so on so they have to get in 2 cabs to make 1 gun up .

If the ammo was just laying around the house and someone got hold of it, they could make a pretty crude, but effective rifle.

Saying that... I did once see that if you place bullets on a fire, they become deadly little missiles which fire in all directions. Shotgun cartridges don't, they just make a popping sound.

Maybe it's for your own protection. :hmm:

Just dangerous, not deadly. Mythbusters done an episode on this, they threw a scoop of rounds

from .22 right up to .50 into a fire. Turns out it wasn't as dangerous as they thought although

rather them than me.

Now a side shotgun shells in this one

Some breaks in to your home Its one thing to have a firearm to hand

let alone ammo.

If the law (which it is) is written so that you have to access

2 safes to create a use able weapon then they have a "better" case

against you.

Unlike with a shotgun (under SGC) which would be harder for them to

prove.

Not that respectable shooters would use their sporting equipment

in such away just give them a case against you.

However I do know people who have used shoguns for home defence

and the Law stated he was legal to do so.

• 4 weeks later...

Actually being very pedantic, none of this is law. It doesn't say it anywhere in the acts governing firearms that you have to. Its in the guidelines which are issued to FEOs which is not the same as law but might as well be for all the difference it makes.

The trouble with that is guidelines are open to interpretation and can be revised or even rewritten at any time. This has happened many times over issues of security,with police operating their own rulebook. I know over the years people who have been told all sorts of things. Things like you can't store more than a certain number of firearms, over three and you require a burglar alarm, ammo cabinet must be on a different floor to main cabinet etc etc.

I'm so glad someone finally posted this,

Firearms Rules 1989 Sect 3 Para 4 http://www.opsi.gov.uk/si/si1989/Uksi_19890854_en_1.htm

A the firearms and ammunition to which the certificate relates must at all times (except in the circumstances set out in paragraph B below) be stored securely so as to prevent, so far as is reasonably practicable, access to the firearms or ammunition by an unauthorised persons

B where a firearm or ammunition to which the certificate relates is in use or the holder of the certificate has the firearm with him for the purpose of cleaning, repairing or testing it or for some other purpose connected with its use, transfer, or sale, or the firearm or ammunition is in transit to or from a place in connection with its use or any such purpose, reasonable precautions must be taken for the safe custody of the firearm or the ammunition.

Nowhere does it say that ammo MUST be kept seperate. So it's a fallacy to believe otherwise.

Best practice yes, but having to do so to stay within the confines of the law, no.

This is the problem with licensing officers making up their own rules to make law abiding gun ownership harder and harder.

Where do you draw the line?