eu ban of normal tungten light bulbs

pimpkiller

I forget when but you wont be able to buy normal lightbulbs from shops soon. This is going to be a big problem for me as energy saving bulbs realy do my eyes in and cause me major vision problems due to the weird light they give off. Does anyone else have a problem like this or just any other views at all?

I forget when but you wont be able to buy normal lightbulbs from shops soon. This is going to be a big problem for me as energy saving bulbs realy do my eyes in and cause me major vision problems due to the weird light they give off. Does anyone else have a problem like this or just any other views at all?

Yeah mate, they really wreck my eyes for the first few minutes when you switch them on, kinnda like a disorientated feeling. Personally going to stock up with the old type bulbs! :good:

I Get so P""""d of with being told what to do by a load of faceless foreigners :angry:

When is this country going to find a leader with the courage to say to these people GET STUFFED :angry:

I Have yet to see anything that has benefitted me or my fellow countrymen come out of this dictatorial regime!

HAVE YOU?

I Have yet to see anything that has benefitted me or my fellow countrymen come out of this dictatorial regime!

HAVE YOU?

I agree we should tell them where to go.

if you are refering to the current goverment then for benefits, we all have had the party its time to pick the empties up now.

If you are refering to the EU then no.

Thank your lucky stars we don't have the euro as well.

Dan

They'll be on ebay for years to come so don't worry too much. You can also get the halogen variants which consume less energy but actually produce a decent amount of light, unlike the energy savers.

My missus' new house was wired so that the pendants only took 3 pin energy saving lamps, and these lamps were £7 each.

So for £2 each, I removed every single 3 pin pendent and fitted conventional bayonet cap pendents.

From what i understand of these light bulbs, :unsure: they have a dangerously high mercury content. :look: Also guess what is reputably the first natural thing for our planet to run out of, yes you got it in one , mercury. :look: Another home goal for the labour party. :no: I definatly don't like these new bulbs and think that even when the have warmed up they are decidedly dim.P'raps it's my age. :yes: From Auntie.

From what i understand of these light bulbs, :unsure: they have a dangerously high mercury content. :look: Also guess what is reputably the first natural thing for our planet to run out of, yes you got it in one , mercury. :look: Another home goal for the labour party. :no: I definatly don't like these new bulbs and think that even when the have warmed up they are decidedly dim.P'raps it's my age. :yes: From Auntie.

Not sure it's the first thing that we'll run out of. If it is, I'm smashing as many thermometers as possible and taking the mercury down to the scrapyard.

Halogen alternatives are definately the way to go for the time being, until they are phased out for being too high in terms of energy and carbon consumption!! Unfortunately, we are pretty much governed by the EU when it comes to this kind of thing and our good old gov signing up to unrealistic treaties and carbon reduction plans such as the CRC (Carbon Reduction Commitment) just another gov form of taxation. Oh and just another twist to make things even more confusing for the consumer from the EU, the use of the term 'Watts' is being phased out and the term 'Lumens' is to be used instead. You may have noticed this starting to appear on boxes in the shops?! :hmm:

Edited by Batch

Lumens (measurement of light) is a much better comparison than Watts (measurement of power)

Compact CFL need new fittings with reflectors to work well and more fittings in a room 6-12 rather than 1-4 the New LED based units are getting there but i would stick to halogen with control for work areas and for other areas CFL/LED for hallways etc. Unfortuately the vast majority of homes int he UK have no lighting design at all and are not wired for intelligent control.

Unfortunately its not realistic to replace a single 60W bulb with a 14W CFL replace 1 60W bulb with 3/4 14W you still have saving in energy and more importantly a much longer lifespan.

Edited by HDAV

In my Dayjob, I'm a Building Services Engineer, whose work involves designing improvements to commercial buildings. This, for those of you that have never heard of my profession includes heating and air conditioning, electrics and lighting, plumbing and drainage.

While I would never specify a light fitting with a Tungsten Filament bulb (ie a traditional Lightbulb) commercially , Its my professional opinion that in they still have a role to play in lighting homes. To get Florescent or led lighting schemes to work well domestically, in most rooms it will typically involve several fittings and a fair bit of associated builders work to chase the cabling for them into the ceilings. As a direct replacement for a hanging pendant, a compact Florescent simply doesn't provide a direct replacement of a GLS bulb. The CFL pendants housebuilders fit are dont provide a decent lighting scheme, its just building regs compliant.

100w bulbs are going first - I'm not sure when the wholesalers will be able to order bulbs until.

I have a box with a 100 100w bulbs in it sitting in my loft for the time when they start to be worth money :D - wish I'd bought a 1000 :hmm: ! - they will be offered as historical artefacts understanding that they are not for use of course!

Must admit i have low energy bulbs all over the house and not one has blown in 11 years so they're far superior to tungsten in my opinion.I know people gripe about how dim they are,but them ones are usually the cheap 11w sort which are like a candle.Splash out a bit on the bigger 3 element types and they're plenty bright enough.

I was reluctant to change to low energy bulbs but now finding I prefer them - had 8 CFL spots in kitchen and 4 in bathroom and they give great lighting effect although they take a minute of two to warm up - I put this down to our having a bungalow and the fittings are exposed to cold of loft. - Only problem with spots they were £35 each as against normal spots of few quid.

Mate was telling me his son makes loadsa money when he goes back to France - he buys as many low energy he can find on offer and takes a suitcase full back with him - seems they are quite expensive in France.

Dave

In my Dayjob, I'm a Building Services Engineer, whose work involves designing improvements to commercial buildings. This, for those of you that have never heard of my profession includes heating and air conditioning, electrics and lighting, plumbing and drainage.

While I would never specify a light fitting with a Tungsten Filament bulb (ie a traditional Lightbulb) commercially , Its my professional opinion that in they still have a role to play in lighting homes. To get Florescent or led lighting schemes to work well domestically, in most rooms it will typically involve several fittings and a fair bit of associated builders work to chase the cabling for them into the ceilings. As a direct replacement for a hanging pendant, a compact Florescent simply doesn't provide a direct replacement of a GLS bulb. The CFL pendants housebuilders fit are dont provide a decent lighting scheme, its just building regs compliant.

I agree i installed the lighting control on a house recently that to meet building regs has certain room lit totally by EE fiitings other are a mix, the utility room has 3 large CFL units LED counter lights and some other fittings £££ worth of hi spec fittigns but the light is fantactic (helped by the flooring being reflective and lots of shiny surfaces the lighting was properly designed and works really well especially with the intelligent control system, but it takes some effort!

i wasnt saying they are dimmer so they are naff, What i was pointing out and asking is if anyone experiances that the weird white light they emit cause eye problems? i have a realy bad reaction and my eyes come out with ulcers on the corneas this basicaly makes me blind and have extream pain. I have to go to hospital to have steroid treatment so you can imagine this is a bit duff.