What .22 to buy??

foxbuster

Hi all,

as the title really guys. I know there's a load of you that will recommend the cz but which model and why (have had a cz452 american in hmr), do they do the thumbhole in .22? What else do you guys use and do you rate them-parhaps annie/sako?? Dont want a semi auto. Any advice would be appreciated. :good:

Hi all,

as the title really guys. I know there's a load of you that will recommend the cz but which model and why (have had a cz452 american in hmr), do they do the thumbhole in .22? What else do you guys use and do you rate them-parhaps annie/sako?? Dont want a semi auto. Any advice would be appreciated. :good:

I have a cz 452 and cant fault it! But a friend has a sako which is nice but if you want it for practicality Id say a synthetic Cz 452.

I've only ever had CZs myself and I've never had any trouble with them. I've used a Quad and didn't like it, and I've used an Anscutz which I did like but didn't think it was worth the extra cost. But then I'm not a rich man.

If I had money to throw at it I'd have the Anschutz, but if next week you'll be wondering if you have enough left to cover all the bills then the CZ is plenty good enough for the job. The Anschutz isn't better, rather just nicer for doing the same job. I was somewhere in the middle of those extremes so bought a CZ and a Docter scope to go on it.

shwmae foxbuster!

Im in the CZ camp..My mate has an Anschutz and apart from it being shorter and a bit better looking than my basic 452 American..it doesn't shoot any better! in fact even he says my cz is more accurate than it! Id go for the 452 in silhouette and then spend the extra on a nice scope to put on it!

Hope you find something you'll get on with..keep us posted!

Thanks for the replies guys,

couple of questions, had a look at a 452 couple of weeks ago, it had the black synthetic stock and nickel(?) barrel. What i didnt like was the barrel was resting on the stock i.e. wasnt floating. Is this normal or was it just a bad example. Also is it worth having the varmint barrel-will it improve accuracy? Have been keeping an eye out for a sako finnfire-but they are like rocking horse poo, and they are pretty pricey 2nd hand, are they worth it??

Cheers guys. :good:

it had the black synthetic stock and nickel(?) barrel. What i didnt like was the barrel was resting on the stock i.e. wasnt floating.

I have the all black silhouette in 17HMR, and my barrel was touching the stock when it was new. I took the stock off and sanded it so it cleared. It took a fair bit of sanding to allow clearance when the gun was mounted on a bipod, you can see the gap reduce as you set the outfit down on a bipod.

However, one day I was shooting of a bipod for a while, then went for a drive round the farther end of the land, shooting out of the passenger window, leaning the folded bipod on a window bag. What I then found was the extra leverage of the bipod allowed the weight of the outfit close up the gap again, and the barrel was once again touching the stock.

I now wonder it it might have been better to leave it alone!

I plan to route a groove straight along the bottom and set a steel rod in there when I get a chance. It'll not bend then. :)

Edited by john_r

Thanks for the replies guys,

couple of questions, had a look at a 452 couple of weeks ago, it had the black synthetic stock and nickel(?) barrel. What i didnt like was the barrel was resting on the stock i.e. wasnt floating. Is this normal or was it just a bad example. Also is it worth having the varmint barrel-will it improve accuracy? Have been keeping an eye out for a sako finnfire-but they are like rocking horse poo, and they are pretty pricey 2nd hand, are they worth it??

Cheers guys. :good:

I had accuracy problems with my CZ as it wasn't holding windage zero even shot to shot. Sent it back for them to make the barrel free floating as it should have been when it was sold.

All fine now, a very good, accurate workhorse :yes:

Get an anschutz 1417 yuoll never buy another .22

I have to agree - You can get the 1417.22 in a sporter stock for around 500 new. I saw an ad in the shooting press.

I paid £880 for mine( true lefthand thumbhole stock ) Yes it has nice wood, but it doesn't worry me taking it out in all weathers!

that's the Style - it should float - if it doesn't, then just remove the action and get in there and rub it back.

Varmint barrel will not improve accuracy.

Finnfires have a good name for themselves, but CZs really are the workhorses of the rimfire world.

Hi,

Where did you pick the information up about the Style/Silhouette Floating, I was under the impression neither of these were floating, and both mine would seem to bear that out (especially on the Bipod) :hmm:

My 452 American was suggested as having a floating barrel but it didn't, not a difficult job to float it but took a couple of minutes to add back some wood they had removed. Accuracy wise is has made just a TINY difference, but it all counts!

I was under the impression it was just the heavy barrels that were floated in the rimfires.

Whatever, neither my Silhouettes are, and my American wasn't.

Cheers

Hi all,

The CZ are massive sellers in this country not simply because of the price, they do the job, don't go wrong, shoot straight and keep working.

A couple of years ago you could pick up a New CZ 452 for around half the money of a Sako, certainly half the price of a Anschutz.

That gap has narrowed as both of the opposition struggle to justify their price and CZ realise they can actually charge more!

For field use you will struggle to beat a CZ, any perceived accuracy advantage of more expensive rimfires is hogwash and simply not worth discussing. That is my CZ Silhouette HMR at 100 yards with a cheap scope, just how much better do you think you will do with a more expensive field tool?

There is an argument to suggest some rifles may be better finished, have smoother actions, better wood, etc, and I would not argue, does it make it better in the field :hmm::hmm::hmm:

I cut my teeth on the BSA Martini, and when one of the first Anschutz in the country arrived at my club all those years ago, I thought I had gone to heaven, they were/are excellent tools in virtually every respect, and have their origins in target work of course.

Look after any rimfire and it will give you a lifetime of service, if you want a prettier tool consider something more expensive than the CZ (but some are getting a bit stylish anyway these days), but don't spend a load more money in the thought bit will give you a better/longer life or shoot better in the field!

ATB!

post-20848-0-56964900-1295991940.jpg

Hi,

Where did you pick the information up about the Style/Silhouette Floating, I was under the impression neither of these were floating, and both mine would seem to bear that out (especially on the Bipod) :hmm:

My 452 American was suggested as having a floating barrel but it didn't, not a difficult job to float it but took a couple of minutes to add back some wood they had removed. Accuracy wise is has made just a TINY difference, but it all counts!

I was under the impression it was just the heavy barrels that were floated in the rimfires.

Cheers

it has a screw which meets the barrel, but it should float up until that point. you can completely free float it, if you only attach the action by the back screw and bed the rest of the action.

it has a screw which meets the barrel, but it should float up until that point. you can completely free float it, if you only attach the action by the back screw and bed the rest of the action.

:good::good::good:

I can certainly see that, but personally I think the stock is too flexible really!

ATB!

PS

My light barreled American has floated a treat! And the stock has plenty of rigidity to keep it well floating even on the bipod :good:

Hi,

Cheers

The chap at Northampton Gun where I bought mine told me that was why it wouldn't hold zero - it wasn't free-floating and it wasn't.

He made the barrel free-floating and now it's bullet on top of bullet accurate and holds zero perfectly.

So in my experience I'd say the barrel needs to float.

Duncan

My stock is beech and it is the heavy barreled varmint model. Edit

Edited by The Duncan