Crow decoying

kevin15

Has anybody used pecking crow decoys, i shot 44 the other day and missed as many using one pecking crow to side of my decoy pattern it made good sport on an otherwise slowish afternoon on a maize stubble game strip. has anyone else had success using crow peckers.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Kevin,

i had a days shooting last week and as the pigeons didn't show till the afternoon i started taking long shots at crows. When i had about 5+ i put them to one side of my decoy pattern and in no time at all crows and alike started flying in like pigeons and it provided some fantastic sport and practise till the pigeons arrived in the afternoon.

I have never seen this happed before and would also be interested on other peoples views.

kevin.

in reply to your topic iv'e got 2 pecking crow's.

last week took them out in conjuunction with a motorised flapper,with a dead crow on it .

what a day we had.

me & my mate started @ 11am & by 4 we had run out of cart's.

iv'e never seen crow's decoy like this before.

to think we started out with 3 deek's,we ended up with 47 crow's,3 rook's 2 jackdaw's & 9 magpie's.

who say's gadjet's don't work.

I usually run about 18 full body decoys. One of which is moterized to look like it is feeding. I usually place the feeder over a road killed rabbit, racoon, or oppossim this works grand on its own but when you add a hawk or owl decoy to the pattern you had better where shooting gloves because your barrels are going to get hot.

Another one I like to do is place a dead crow under the base of an ellavated hawk or owl decoy and then blow distress calls. The crows get so wound up that quite often they ignor the shooting completely.

Check out some of the photos at http://www.crowbusters.com

I always put out a full bodied crow decoy, purchased from my local gunshop - cost about four quid, when I am decoying pigeon. I reckon it gives the pigeon a bit of confidence, and almost every outing I manage to bag a couple of crows and the odd maggie as a bit of a bonus. The addition of a road kill or a broken egg adds to the attraction.

• 3 weeks later...

I the US, we call crows either to food or to fight. It only takes a few decoys.

If you are calling to food, put one high up in a lookout position, to make them incoming crows feel everything is okay.

For a fight, an owl decoy surrounded by some crows in branches will work.

The calling is, of course, quite different and it helps to have two callers working two different calls, just like a half-dozen angry crows. A dead crow below a large owl sitting on a fence post is enough to rile up any good crow.

If you go looking for Burns Brothers, or Lohman calls, you will find cassette tapes and CDs of all the call patterns. Some states permit the use of recorded calling while hunting varmits like crows, coyotes, and bobcats.

Hey Guys

I just been reading thro this topic and I have to make a comment if I may, Hammergun it is legal to use electronic callers or tapes for pest species in the UK. It is NOT legal however to use the same for other species that come under different legislation e.g. Geese, Deer etc.

I have found another website (amercian based) which is fab, it tells you how to make all sorts of things, one of them being a electronic caller. They cost a bomb from Cabela's but mine just cost the the parts and a little time. Parts cost about £30. Whilst visiting the USA last month I picked up a Johnny Stewart crow calling cd but guess what, Just have not had the time to use it in anger yet........... maybe this weekend tho' ;):D??????

For anyone who would like to make an electronic caller for the use of taking predators such as crows,raccoons,foxes, etc. go to

http://www.predatormasterforms.com/homemad...adeecaller.html

Check your local game laws to be sure the use of an electronic caller is legal in your area.

NTTF

That address wont let me travel so try

http://www.PredatorMasters.com

and then go to the Tech Section thread

I been asked shoot some crows/rooks by the farmer

They are giving the pea

field, which is 30 yrds in front of thier rook wood, some stick

When you walk in the wood they all clear off predictably but

they also dont like to decoy.Wots the best way of getting them,i

thought of a owl decoy against the wood and get them

flighting back