Cartridge choice for different Targets

Salopian

Just as a matter of interest and perhaps an insight to how we gear up for different targets.

Do you change shot size & wad type (plas or Fibre) for different targets especially if you shoot a fixed choke gun.

As an example, Barry Simpson ALWAYS shoots 8's if a target shows any belly. Many people swear by 7's or 6's for Rabbits.

Others shoot 7&1/2's at everything others 8's at everything.

Kevin Mayor for instance now carries two MK38 guns around with him, I assume 1 Trap 3/4 & F and the other with more open chokes. Why not a multichoke?

What do you use & Why?

Edited by Salopian

I use 24gram 7s @ 1250fps mainly cos that is the smallest size shot I make and the weight seems plenty for any clay I might shoot at. The velocity x weight makes these very mild to shoot and they seem to pattern quite tightly.

If the clay don't break it's down to me pointing it at the wrong place and I will never choose a factory cartridge over these :good:

I use a fixed choke gun with 1/4 in both barrels.I only shoot sporting and use 7.5 shot for everything. I have always used 7.5 but now I use CompX 21gm plastic and they only come in 7.5.

I know some shooters use a 9 on some targets but don't open their chokes out if using a multichoke gun.Surely if you use a 9 you're looking at a close target so why not open the pattern a bit to take full advantage.

Vic.

I have a multi choke but stick with 1/4 1/4 - and for shot size generally 7 1/2 for everything but have had a good deal on 8's and been using these since last autumn and they do the trick! Too much thinking makes me miss! so I keep it simple. There may be a marginal effect in changing chokes and shot size but I'm not in that class.

Funny, we were having the exact same conversation at a shoot today. Even mentioned Barry as the guy I was talking with was squatted with him at a shoot some time ago. Anyhoo, we all agreed that we could use 21g whatevers at that ground but why not use 28g whatevers and get more lead in the air. Also, hardly anyone changed chokes. I guess if you're shooting AAA class or whatever then I'm sure there are benefits but for most of us those marginal benefits don't stack up and make it worth our while to faff with.

Guest cookoff013

I shoot whatever is cheapest.... 24g 8 seems a good middle ground but for most sporting targets at reasonable range 8-9 are fine and 7 is the biggest i think you can use?

Shooting through 1/4 and 3/8 in a MC gun

thats a good in the middle of the road load. i honestly think the 8s are the best for clays. i certainly havent noticed any limitations.

i use cyl / cyl quite alot thesedays..

I shoot a lot of 9's at sporting clays. They will break anything at under 25 yards and through a 3/8 choke are a huge confidence booster at close stuff.

I used to shoot open chokes (Skeet & 1/4) and use either 7.5, 8 or 9 depending on the type of bird.

Now I use 8's and 9's all the time, although my home loads are all 8's.

I ues 7.5 at nearly all sporting target with a 5/8 choke. I mite put a skeet choke and a 9 in for really close stuff. But I do like to keep it simple( I have been told to us a 1/4 on sporting but i just cant hit a thing with it)

For DTL i just use the same cheap 7.5 but i mite use a 1/2 ,5/8 or 3/4 choke, It's just how lucky i feel at the time

and for skeet i use a skeet choke with a 9. I really like plas wads ,they just seem to work better for me

Edited by 0145wirbelwind

I dont it makes a difference if you point the gun in the right place it breaks, you point a gun in the wrong place it dosent brake. you probably all disagree with me but what the heck! :blush::good:

Can I be the first to say I disagree with you on that point. :P

Funny, we were having the exact same conversation at a shoot today. Even mentioned Barry as the guy I was talking with was squatted with him at a shoot some time ago.

I bet that was rather an interesting conversation.

Not going to say what my choke shell combination is as Sloppiun already knows.

dave

Shoot 7½'s any make at everything, but after having shot Newbold & Weston Wood lately, there have been some very distant targets, I make sure I have a few 6's or at least 7's in the bag.

You know when they're a long way, there's a long moment between shooting and them breaking, if they break!

kermit

I thought 7 or 7.5 were the largest you could use for sporting? CPSA states max 2.6mm min 2.0 mm not sure what that equates too tho in normals 6/7/8 etc PAge 30 http://www.cpsa.co.uk/userfiles/file/CPSA_Booklet_5.pdf

Ah Ha http://www.hallowellco.com/shot_size_chart.htm 9-7 only for English sporting so your 6's are not legal in competitions

Edited by HDAV

I thought 7 or 7.5 were the largest you could use for sporting? CPSA states max 2.6mm min 2.0 mm not sure what that equates too tho in normals 6/7/8 etc PAge 30 http://www.cpsa.co.uk/userfiles/file/CPSA_Booklet_5.pdf

Ah Ha http://www.hallowellco.com/shot_size_chart.htm 9-7 only for English sporting so your 6's are not legal in competitions

Biggest shot size you can use in Reg English Sporting is a 6 (2.6mm ) and the smallest is a 9 (2.0mm) :good:

Azzurri.