Roof truss hold down straps?

V8landy

Hi

I am coverting a flat roof to a pitched, finaly after 2 years of delays, starting it next month.

Am using pre made roof trusses. Removing the full flat roof, roof beams as well.

will be fixing a 4 x2 wall plate to fix roof trusses to, but not clear on what (if any) hold down straps will need?

Assume I will fix to trusses and then come through plaster celing and chase out wall plaster and fix into brickwork in room below?

I will also check with roof truss compnay, but I have allready asked them a million questions!

I guess it is like the picture below I need>?

straps2.jpg

Edited by V8landy

V8 Landy

Yes you do fix the wall plates down with those vertical straps often going under the name of "Bat-straps" if you orderd the metal work with your trusses they should come with the kit just place them as per the truss fixing instruction (plan)1.5 mt apart if i remember rightly.

Bob

V8 Landy

Yes you do fix the wall plates down with those vertical straps often going under the name of "Bat-straps" if you orderd the metal work with your trusses they should come with the kit just place them as per the truss fixing instruction (plan)1.5 mt apart if i remember rightly.

Bob

The last time I fixed some they were to be spaced at 2 metres apart which is stupid because the trusses are at 600mm centres so the two measurements don't work with each other. A lot of the time windows, garage doors and such like mean you are restricted how many you can fix in a given space anywway.

Also get some truss clips makes a better job of fixing the trusses to the wall plate with little square twist nails on the trusses side just watch your fingers :good:

These are used instead of spiking nails on angle into both.

Edited by figgy

Also get some truss clips makes a better job of fixing the trusses to the wall plate with little square twist nails on the trusses side just watch your fingers :good:

These are used instead of spiking nails on angle into both.

sheradised nails :good:

If required in roof design (ask roof designer) Minimum 2m centres. 4mm x 75mm hardened nails or no.12 x 50mm wood screws into plugs.

Number of fixings is either as design or NHBC Standards are 4 fixings per strap.

Minimum 2m centres :hmm:

You really want a 3"x2" tanalised wall plate :good:

Depends on planning in your area, recently i put a large roof onto a 5 bedroom house with no wall plate straps needed.Personally i always put them about .8m/1m and 2 screws into every block they span :good:

If you buy a trussed roof it should come with all the truss clips and a plan to tell you what bracing it needs, personally i'd go traditional

If required in roof design (ask roof designer) Minimum 2m centres. 4mm x 75mm hardened nails or no.12 x 50mm wood screws into plugs.

Number of fixings is either as design or NHBC Standards are 4 fixings per strap.

biggest load of **** in the building industry since the CSCS card

You really want a 3"x2" tanalised wall plate :good:

Depends on planning in your area, recently i put a large roof onto a 5 bedroom house with no wall plate straps needed.Personally i always put them about .8m/1m and 2 screws into every block they span :good:

If you buy a trussed roof it should come with all the truss clips and a plan to tell you what bracing it needs, personally i'd go traditional

THnaks Guys

Truss company said 4 x 2 for wall plate, and I have got it tanalised.

BCO said will be checking hold down straps etc.

Roof is approx 4m wide by 6m long, just get 35 deg pitch, as forced in by how it joins in with main house roof.

It will be a hip at one end and running into main roof with valley.

Just checked my quote for roof trusses and it says "metalwork - including clips, shoes Nails £20.58"

So will clarify with them what that includes.

Also includes Stability bracing and infils.

£400 inc vat inc delivery and desing calculations which BCO has said will need.

£400 is not worth messing about to be doing a cut roof, when we have enough on doing the job as it stands .

BCO said will vist once trusses are all fixed in place pre covering. Laso stated needs to be breather memberane and sutiable ventilation (we are doing over facia vents), bird gauds, felt trays etc.

And then BCO will come out when finsished to check insualation and then fingers crossed sign it off.

biggest load of **** in the building industry since the CSCS card

Cant agree more but with my lot using them for insurance and H&S monitoring one gets used to them.

In my oppinion they are getting way too powerfull for the industries good. This years NHBC Standards edition is quite good though. I have it under the short leg of my dining table.

:good:

sorry V8lndy i've been drinking, i meant 4"x3" tanalised timber :blush:

i'm a joiner first and a builder second, one thing i know is roofs :good:

edited to say

if your not too far away i don't mind giving you a hand :o to much wine, now hitting whisky :/

damn i was drunk last night :blush: , still the offers there for the price of the diesel :good:

Edited by pegleg31

I usually do straps at 1200mm, barring obstacles and screwed to blocks with 4 or 5 screws. Biggest obstacle is getting trusses in level as the brickie has set the wall plate at times and not a joiner. :lol: Seen some horrendous attempts at joining wall plates. :oops:

Yes, need to get wall plate level espicaly as was (is) flat roof which has a fall.

The inner wall is brick, so Assume as long as I get into brick OK? Will need to break through plasterboard celing and then chase out plaster to embed straps.