Avoiding "All The Gear, No Idea"

Spiderdude

Insurance.

There mutiple shooting organsiations, and myriad topics on which one is best for you.

I'd recommend one, but it would lead to disagreements and lead this thread to Become A Stupid Conversation.

:hmm:

Edited by Bleeh

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Insurance.... Sorted.

I got Musto jacket off another forum member. Excellent quality and perfect fit... With a list price of £279 I was pleased with less than half that.

I do like the look of the Beretta vests, but £70!!

Won't be competing, just having fun...

Maybe at somepoint I'll do field shooting, but not until I know I can hit something!!!

If you are clay shooting in deepist cheshire you will need, Holland and Holland range rover, tweed jacket, deer stalker hat, breeks with long socks and those mincy tassles, brown leather brogues, them over priced french wellies if its a tad damp, and a minion to polish your barrels :good:

Do your own thing mate.

Why look like all the rest. I suggest a pink body stocking and flip flops. I have a day glo T shirt with Orf Moy Laand on the back. I can't wait to wear it, along with an Aldi bag for my carts stuck out of my Bermuda shorts.

The other thing I don't understand is taking a gun slip around with you. I'm there to shoot not pack and unpack mi gun twenty times. Or is that just another done thing.

The other thing I don't understand is taking a gun slip around with you. I'm there to shoot not pack and unpack mi gun twenty times. Or is that just another done thing.

Not the done thing at all it's personal preference. Having had my gun hit by falling clays, numpties bang it with their barrels and long waits on stands where there is no safe place to leave a gun I take a slip. However if I on my own having a practice & no comp I will leave the slip in the car.

Not the done thing at all it's personal preference. Having had my gun hit by falling clays, numpties bang it with their barrels and long waits on stands where there is no safe place to leave a gun I take a slip. However if I on my own having a practice & no comp I will leave the slip in the car.

Good reasoning. Being a big daft clumsy numpty I recommend everybody carries a slip.

I hadn't thought that one through.

Just need to get this bloody certificate now..... :rolleyes:

Don't let that stop you starting on your lessons, you want to have a few before you buy your gun.

Consider a bigger bag than you think for your carts. You'll end up lugging more stuff around than just your shells - drinks bottle, flask, sunnies, different lenses for your sunnies, cap, gloves, spare/older ear plugs, chokes etc etc :oops:

Don't wait have as many as you can afford/fit in before cert arrives that way you'll have a much better idea of which gun to buy

TBH you need half the **** people buy, gun slip ( kind of legal requirement unless gun has case) eyes and ears then as many carts and lessons/ practice as you can afford with a good local. Ground with decent hire/ teaching guns that's it!

HDav, I am doing as many lessons as I can fit in. Couple more in next three weeks. By then cert should have landed, then a few more after that.

For me, lessons are more important than anything else at this early stage. Adopt best practice early to avoid embedding mistakes.

Edited by Spiderdude

You don't need loads of fancy gear, but you will need:

~ a reasonable quality gun slip

~ something to lug carts around in (I use an ex-army side bag off Fleabay :blush: )

~ decent waterproof boots (not Dunlop wellies :no:)

~ a hat with a brim (baseball cap fine :good:)

~ gun cleaning kit

That'll get you going...

Guest cookoff013

I would say some decent breathable waterproof gear too. I only got soaked to the skin and freezing once, before I learnt that one.

yeah,

my next purchase would be a poncho. just for those downpours.

i bought a handwarmer, only use it shooting though.

A neighbour of mine shoots a Browning and wears a Beretta vest. It looks wrong to me. He gets no end of ribbing.

I remember when I was shooting at Bisley last year before I moved, I only had a camo vest I use in the field, and it worked so I didn't worry about changing it. I always thought it was funny - if I was out shooting with the regulars there nobody would really worry too much, but a few times you'd get a group of very well off pheasant shooters come down for some skeet. They'd see me and some of the looks were brilliant. They were bettered only when these guys couldn't hit a barn door (10-15) and I was knocking in 22s and 23s - the looks then were priceless.

Didn't happen often, just a few times, but priceless when it did!!

I remember when I was shooting at Bisley last year before I moved, I only had a camo vest I use in the field, and it worked so I didn't worry about changing it. I always thought it was funny - if I was out shooting with the regulars there nobody would really worry too much, but a few times you'd get a group of very well off pheasant shooters come down for some skeet. They'd see me and some of the looks were brilliant. They were bettered only when these guys couldn't hit a barn door (10-15) and I was knocking in 22s and 23s - the looks then were priceless.

Didn't happen often, just a few times, but priceless when it did!!

I had the same with my SBS heard a bloke say to his wife about 'the pretty little gun but not very practical for this.' well his O/U did not fit well or he could not shoot for **** missed most of the birds over the top, I offered him a couple of words of advice tho!!!

Snap Caps.... What do they do or what they for?

I didn't know they were called snap caps but anythings better than nothing. I use two cut down spent cartridges to release my pins on. Worth giving them a good wipe inside and out before leaving them in your gun though. :good: