Avoiding "All The Gear, No Idea"

Spiderdude

OK, with being new to this sport how do you avoid buying unessential stuff...

What are the important things to get once you have your SGC.

I have bought;

Ear Defenders

Glasses

Cabinet

Weatherproof Jacket

Lessons

So what do you guys suggest I also get, apart from gun & cartridges.

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1. Bore snake

2. Baseball cap (brim to keep sun out of your eyes and something on your bonce from when a clay hits you)

EDIT:

When you buy a gun slip get one with an integral pocket - really useful for storing ear plugs, bore snake and chokes.

Edited by Mungler

Humour... Sorted

Excuses.... Sorted

Jacket.... Sorted

Cartridge Bag.... Ordered

Friends.... One or Two hope to make more.

Vest.... Nope... Which brand is best?

Snap Caps.... What do they do or what they for?

As I'm going down Beretta line, I guess buying all Beretta stuff is not the done thing?

Depends if you want to go into competition clays or not, I suppose...

If you try pigeon shooting, you can be as scruffy as you want :lol:

Somebody mentioned not bothering with snap caps... I didn't bother ONE time, and pulled the trigger of my O/U on an empty chamber... And out flew half a firing pin. :blush: . For a few quid saved, it might end up costing you £50.

Snap Caps.... What do they do or what they for?

As I'm going down Beretta line, I guess buying all Beretta stuff is not the done thing?

Snap caps look like small cartridges either plastic or metal and have a spring inside, they are used for dry firing the gun to release the tension on the trigger mechanism but stop damage to to firing pins or breach. As to weather you need then on a modern gun is subject to debate.

I have a Beretta and have a Beretta bag, slip, hat and vest I really dont care what others think, they were a good price well made and look good. I think the fact they are old, a bit worn now and I can win my class stop the 'all the gear no idea' brigade.

I dont like it when people have a go at someone just because they have nice stuff that matches but maybe are not that good at shooting or just starting out. :good:

A hat is a must, I wear a baseball cap, but even with that i felt a few bumps with the clays falling from above on sunday

I bought a TopGun vest, from the trading post on here, and i dont have a fighter jet either :lol: Looks okay to be honest, no different to a more expensive branded vest IMO :yes:

Cartridge bags are good for carrying extra carts in, but then so was the cheapo ladies shoulder bag one of the guys bought to carry his shells in, just plain black waterproof style and only cost £5 :unsure:

Vests the best brand is the one you can afforrd and is confortable to shoot in, leather should pads help hold the butt in place and allow you to develop your mount easier.

Snap Caps are needed in old SBS etc but modern guns don't really need them I have some old ones that where passed on to me by Grandads and Dad so I use them.

I would definitely go for the TopGun vest. Good quality, good price, good features and discreetly marked and it wont matter which breed of gun you go for.

Musto vests are lightweight and soon go saggy, their waterproof clay jacket is good if you get one cheap. List price is scandalous for what it is.

One big advantage of the TopGun vest is they have a "pie eaters flap" on the zip so you can let it out a bit if you need a few more skins on for colder weather. Or if you have too many pies !!!!

Cleaning kit, possibly a range bag, cartridge bag and PPE will do you for now.

Unless you get some exotic gun with V springs the snap caps are best avoided. I use them as a teaching aid for trigger pull timing in an initial lesson and then NEVER use them again.