life of a great wildfowler

smoking barrels

hello

my name is mike larkin and iam a wildfowler from cumbria i have been wildfowling since i was 6 and iam 26 now .iam the son of a great man and passionate wildfowler paul larkin who tradgically lost his life in the duddon eastary earlyer this year .my dad had been wildfowling for over 38 years and was one of the most experianced fowlers in the area the main reason for my post is to make peaple aware of the dangers that come with wildfowling .on the 5th of febuary me and my dad headed out on angerton marsh on a morning flight like we have done for many years. i set up on the middle of the marsh waiting for the geese and my dad went to the end of the marsh where the duddon river runs into the estary after shooting a few ducks . but earlyer that week we had a lot of rain fall and the river was deep at this time. it seems he had tryed to cross the river that the week before had only been a few feet deep after hearing him having a good flight and shooting a cuple of pinkfeet my self i went to meet him but he was nowhere to b found . it seemed like the earth had just swallowed him up . so please do your resarch and always take a wading stick to check the depth of the gutters and rivers your are crossing if you are not surer than dnt risk it ....iam still shooting as its my passion but safty comes first . hope this helps if you have any questions on wildfowling safety on tides,wind,or anything else please ask me and i will help you .

hello

my name is mike larkin and iam a wildfowler from cumbria i have been wildfowling since i was 6 and iam 26 now .iam the son of a great man and passionate wildfowler paul larkin who tradgically lost his life in the duddon eastary earlyer this year .my dad had been wildfowling for over 38 years and was one of the most experianced fowlers in the area the main reason for my post is to make peaple aware of the dangers that come with wildfowling .on the 5th of febuary me and my dad headed out on angerton marsh on a morning flight like we have done for many years. i set up on the middle of the marsh waiting for the geese and my dad went to the end of the marsh where the duddon river runs into the estary after shooting a few ducks . but earlyer that week we had a lot of rain fall and the river was deep at this time. it seems he had tryed to cross the river that the week before had only been a few feet deep after hearing him having a good flight and shooting a cuple of pinkfeet my self i went to meet him but he was nowhere to b found . it seemed like the earth had just swallowed him up . so please do your resarch and always take a wading stick to check the depth of the gutters and rivers your are crossing if you are not surer than dnt risk it ....iam still shooting as its my passion but safty comes first . hope this helps if you have any questions on wildfowling safety on tides,wind,or anything else please ask me and i will help you .

thank you for takeing the time to join us here and my heart felt condolences to yourself and your family good luck with your wildfowling and as you say stay safe my friend

best regards

john

Hi and welcome to the forum, I was very sorry to read about the loss of your father earlier this year, it must have been tough to write that, and it's good of you to offer wildfowling advice to those new to the sport. There were a few topics about it on Pigeon Watch at the time, with much sympathy expressed. Wildfowling is a fantastic sport, there are quite a few wildfowlers on here, another wildfowler joining the ranks would be more than welcome :good:

hello

hi and welcome to the forum ,i was very sorry to here of the lose of your farther earlier in the year , great respect to you for offering advice to people who are wanting to try the sport of wildfowling ....

a true sportsman you are :good:

hi and welcome to the forum ,i was very sorry to here of the lose of your farther earlier in the year , great respect to you for offering advice to people who are wanting to try the sport of wildfowling ....

a true sportsman you are :good:

thankyou for your support i wonder if you can help me ive shot all over the country but never the wash which is a dream of mine and was my dads he was a kenzie thorpe and peter scott lover and he has got all peter scotts books and paintings a few orignals too. how would i go about having a few flights on the was next season ??? many thanks mike

HI smoking barrels,welcome to the forum,I was following the story of you'r dad when he went missing,it's a danger we all face but it bring's it home when we read of such happening's i'm sorry for you'r loss,it's good that you had such good times with you'r dad and at least you have the memories.A prayer said.

Welcome to PW and thanks for sharing your sad story with us. We all avidly read the papers at the time and hoped that it would have a happy outcome and that your dad would be found safe and well - sadly that was not to be.

However, he went doing what he loved, in a place that he loved.

I am getting on a bit and have had to give up the more rigorous side of wildfowling but I will keep visiting the more gentle areas as long as I possibly can.

My fowling started on the wash with Peter Wittaker (Petrel of the shooting times), Frank Harrison, Sid Wright and Ron New (my brother in law), in the sixtys. All now old men or passed on. Great memories...

I'm sure one of the wash fowlers of today will be glad to take you out.

Make contact with Holbeach or Fenland clubs via BASC.

Edited by Grandalf

Sad news, there were two wildfowlers that were close to losing their lives down here a year or two back.....one fortunately being spotted by a dog walker out in the middle of nowhere stuck fast with an approacing tide, the other remembering to lie back and struggle out backwards after realising he was in dire trouble, again with a fast approaching tide. One of them was very experienced too, you can't ever be too careful.

Edited by ziplex

As a fellow Wildfowler I thank you for trying to raise awairness to the dangers of wildfowling, it doesn't matter how well you think you know a marsh and tides, it can still catch you out. I was so sorry to hear about your fathers death and as unfortnate as his death was, he will teach alot of us never to underestimate our marshes, i will raise a glass in honor to your father and ask all to do the smae. Good luck to all you fellow Wildfowlers out there and may you have many years of glorious, safe seasons to come,

Welcome to pw, condolences to yourself and your family on such a sad loss. I hope you will enjoy your stay, and for the offer to give help and advise to fellow shooters in this sad time is astounding well done too you.

ATB

Carl

Id be more than happy to take you out on the wash feel free to PM me and we will swap phone no our club (spalding) does 24hr tickets £6 Il sort it out for you when you would like to come .

a touching post Im sure your dad would be proud.

good fowling Nick .

thankyou for your support i wonder if you can help me ive shot all over the country but never the wash which is a dream of mine and was my dads he was a kenzie thorpe and peter scott lover and he has got all peter scotts books and paintings a few orignals too. how would i go about having a few flights on the was next season ??? many thanks mike

hi mike, sorry for the late reply ,i would be more than happy to help out with a few flights on the wash for you over the coming wildfowling season ,i have sent you a pm.... if you need accommoadation for yourself and a dog again i would be more than happy to help out with that also .....

regards WW

I shot with your dad and steve jock, for about 10 or 11 years when i was in Barrow-in-furness wildfowlers.

He was a good shot and very experienced wildfowler.

I have a very good photo taken in scotland when we had a few days with the late Percy Betts

Im just not sure of the names on the photo, from what i can remember its;

Steve, Dave, another Steve (with a muzzle loading four bore), Paul and oggy ?? I took the photo.

We had a good few days, didnt shoot much, but had some laughs.

I hope you carry on wildfowling its a good sport, and also keep up with your rugby, paul told me how well you were doing.

Steve jock keeps in touch, we ring each other up several times per season for an up-date on how we are getting on,

im now shooting with Morecambe Bay so dont get up your way any more.

john.