Firing Blanks in Public

spence

Out riding (mountain bikes) with mates yesterday in the woods above Princess Risborough I came across a guy standing on the bridleway with an open side-by-side. I stopped a few yards away - waiting for others to catch up - and asked what’s going on. He says training and they are only firing blanks, then another chap comes out behind him carrying a green training dummy and apparently there are others in the trees. Now this is a late Sunday morning in a fairly busy area for walkers, families and horses (there are a couple of footpaths that intersect with the BW here), as we had just passed a couple of family groups and knew there was a rather skitterish horse heading their way.

Not seen this before and it didn’t seem appropriate for the area. There were no signs and casting no dispersions, the guys I saw didn’t exactly look professional. What’s the score on this?

As Garyb says, did they have permission from the landowner.

If the woods are privately owned with a bridal way running through and the chaps had permission to train their dogs there they are perfectly within their rights to be there.

Edited by CharlieT

Out riding (mountain bikes) with mates yesterday in the woods above Princess Risborough I came across a guy standing on the bridleway with an open side-by-side. I stopped a few yards away - waiting for others to catch up - and asked what’s going on. He says training and they are only firing blanks, then another chap comes out behind him carrying a green training dummy and apparently there are others in the trees. Now this is a late Sunday morning in a fairly busy area for walkers, families and horses (there are a couple of footpaths that intersect with the BW here), as we had just passed a couple of family groups and knew there was a rather skitterish horse heading their way.

Not seen this before and it didn’t seem appropriate for the area. There were no signs and casting no dispersions, the guys I saw didn’t exactly look professional. What’s the score on this?

The open side by side might be a diferent matter? :hmm:

Pretty sure I've read on here that you can take an OPEN and UNLOADED shotgun anywhere with you in the street/common land providing you have good reason.

I've been shooting in woods wearing trainers and Bermuda shorts, it may not look right but it doesn't mean I'm not allowed to be there doing what I'm doing. Had some funny looks from dog walkers though!

It sounds as if they were training dogs to retrieve in which case doing it by a public footpath is bordering on criminal for a number of reasons. Firearm law regarding a public place and a loaded gun doesn't actually stipulate loaded with live ammo it just says loaded. Similar interpretations could be placed on the word "discharging".

Public order offences are similarly very loosly worded when it comes to causing fear and/or distress to the public. Also the question of armed trespass comes to mind.

But the big word that comes to mind is stupid. If you want to do something like that find somewhere where there is nobody else about. Why attract attention to yourself?

Edited by Vince Green

Interesting comments.

Didn't enquire about their permissions etc. it just seemed the wrong place and time to be "training" given the amount of people about. Been riding through these woods for a dozen years or so and not seen anything before, I know that doesn’t mean there's no shooting. Also understand about shooting across rights of ways but I thought you had to put up some form of notification; signage, red flags etc. We certainly do.

ok so they were on private land with a gun dog training. Assuming they have a right to be there then whats illegal, the gun was open while on a bridleway they didn't cause distress or alarm so I can't see what the problem is. I regularly shoot near bridleways and footpaths whats the difference? As far as the law goes the distress etc has to be withing 50 feet of the centre of a carriageway which doesn't include bridleways.

If they didn't have permission on the land then of course its an offence