Which hmr?

6.5shooter

Hello folks!

Being mainly a centrefire rifle shooter of various calibres and a .22lr I find myself missing something in between them and have been wanting a .17 hmr lately.

I have narrowed it down to two breeds of rifles.

Cz

Or

Anschutz

But which one?

Im not worried about cost as its irrelivant as I just want one based on its performance and not cost.

Which would you choose folks and why?

Garry

cost irrelivent hey :unsure: the annie won't shoot better than the cz the limiting factor will always be ammo, wind and the guy on the trigger. depends which feels better to you. Cz triggers get called needlesly and changed too quickly often without giving them time, cz bolts and triggers just take time to smooth up

if cost isn't important then the Anschutz, you can make the CZ shoot as well but it usually needs some help.

gawd 'elp us, I agree! But (small but) you may just like to have a shufti at the Weihrauch. Don't know if it's still running, but The Sportsman were doing a package deal. One of our members did very nicely, thankyou. Of course, if you already home load the CF and as Anschutz no longer make them (think they may just change their mind), they do a cracking Hornet (HW 66) which is cheaper to run.

Which models in each make would you choose?

Its mainly going to be used in my jeep for shooting crows and rabbits out the window quickly without having to range find it and hold over like my .22lr.

I have most of my other spaces on my ticket used up with centrefires and id say this is what im left to choose from but it suits me anyway cus I spend enough time reloading for other rifles and its nice to just buy a few rounds and be hassle free for a change even though the little ****** will be as expensive to shoot as my 223 with reloads.

I know cz do a 16" barrel and anschutz do a 14" barrel I think. These are the two models I would be interested in. What models do yoy fellas have?

Regards

Garry

I meant by money not being an issue as in id rather save a bit longer for the right gun. Im not loaded thats for sure.

You fellas are swaying me towards the Anschutz carbine model.

What sort of size groups are you fellas shooting with youre rifles? What is the norm? Half inch or more?

Garry

Have you not looked at the Savage HMR? They have a great range and probably fall somewhere between CZ and the Annie on the perceived quality scale.

I have the Savage HMR and the .22 Annie. I'd say quality was very similar and my Savage thumbhole laminate HMR is the most sold feeling and accurate rifle I own. Adjustable 2 stage trigger is fantastic

Well I have a Quad Varmint cut to 16 inches and fitted with a few bits from here http://www.diproductsinc.com/Products.aspx?CAT=3601 , the Bolt **** especially needs replacing. Having said that I have owned CZ and Anschutz HMR's before this and this I far prefer. The Wood Stocked Varmint I have has a nice flat forend which is superb for shooting off a window bag. Fitted it with a 12 x 40 Leupold recently with a fine Duplex, was checking zero on Saturday at 100 yards and my 2nd five shot group was a single enlarged hole with the blue tips, they are a seriously good rifle.

Edited by JRDS

I had a friend who had a sako quad and pulled his hair out because the accuracy was so bad. 1 inch somedays and then next day 2 inches.

He sold it and bought a cz and never looked back. He blamed the switch barrel making its accuracy inconsistent.

I have a savage 220 swift and its looks arent spectacular but boy does it shoot! Bullet on bullet!!

I think its still between cz and Anschutz but the Anschutz has the edge at the mo.

What sort if groups are you guys getting?

Garry

I had a friend who had a sako quad and pulled his hair out because the accuracy was so bad. 1 inch somedays and then next day 2 inches.

He sold it and bought a cz and never looked back. He blamed the switch barrel making its accuracy inconsistent.

I have a savage 220 swift and its looks arent spectacular but boy does it shoot! Bullet on bullet!!

I think its still between cz and Anschutz but the Anschutz has the edge at the mo.

What sort if groups are you guys getting?

Garry

Could have been the scope I had two brand new scopes (Hawke Tactical's)that would not hold a group of less that two inches and I got refunds on both. Changed the scope and accuracy back to the sublime, could have been any number of things causing the accuracy issue. If you over look the Quad you are missing a trick IMHO.

Grouping wise with the 14'' Annie is approx 3/4'' @ 100yrds, and im far from a great marksman! It'll do the job nicely and then some! Wheirach may also interest you mate-pretty sure they do a 14'' hmr too, and the quality of the rifle should be on par with the Annie. :good:

How's it going.........

Had a look at a CZ American last week,looks like a well made rifle for the money and by the chat of most lads on here and elsewhere accuracy is up to scratch. I'm looking for my first rimmy and I'm on a budget,and I think it fits the bill perfectly. :good:

I would agree that the CZ is the most gun for the money no doubt however the OP is not constrained financially so should buy the best he can, if he doesn't he will no doubt want to swap in the future with all the hassle that goes with it. (been there and done that!)

I have the Anschutz with the factory 14" barrel. Build quality is better than my two CZ's but that does not affect the practical useage. One of my CZ's has the 16" barrel and I must say that 2" does make quite a difference when you are carrying it around but no difference at all to accuracy.

On my Anschutz 14" barrel .17HMR I used to use a SAK moderator which added another 6" but now I use DM80 "over the barrel" moderators which shorten things somewhat. The DM80 designed for the .17HMR is a lot more expensive than a SAK but it is also much better build quality and considerably quieter, presumably, in part, because of the smaller exit hole (SAK is .22).

SAK is good for .22 but gets a bit chewed up inside on an HMR.

Interestingly.... The overal length of the 14" Anschutz with a DM80 Mod is only about half an inch shorter than a 16" CZ with a DM80 Moderator. The reason for that is the DM80 slides a few inches over the barrel so about half of the length of the DM80 is over the barrel and half extends the barrel length. With the short 14" Anschutz barrel there is not enough barrel sticking out beyond the stock for the DM80 to slide over so Dave (maker of DM80) has to produce a modified version with less overhang.

So side by side, the overall length of a 14" barrel and 16" barrel, each with DM80, come out about the same length. Stick a 6" SAK on the end, however, and the Anschutz becomes 20" and the CZ 22".

Personally - Go for the Anschutz 14" every time - shop around for a good price.