.17 HMR Variation

Hi all, don't post that much spend more time reading. Just a quick question as my title suggest im putting in for my .17 HMR to go with my .22RF. What id like to know is when i request what ammunition id like do i need to put ballistic tip and expanding separate or do i just write .17 HMR Exp and that covers me for standard and expanding?

Thanks

Gus

Hi all, don't post that much spend more time reading. Just a quick question as my title suggest im putting in for my .17 HMR to go with my .22RF. What id like to know is when i request what ammunition id like do i need to put ballistic tip and expanding separate or do i just write .17 HMR Exp and that covers me for standard and expanding?

Thanks

Gus

:good:

:good: Hi.

Just put down , buy 500, keep 600....17 HMR expanding..

That covers it......... :good:

or buy 2000 keep 2500 ;)

Yep...that was asking for it foggy11...put down what you can justify, for some that may well be 2000/2500, sometimes more! :yes::good:

sorry to drag this up, but im about to apply for my first fac for a 22lr (had sgc for 2 years). i shoot around 400 rounds a week. is it acceptable to put buy 2000 store 2500?

Perfectly acceptable if it is to be used on a range as I cant see anyone getting through 400 rounds a week doing vermin control. Ask when you apply they can at worst only give you a smaller ammount. :good:

Where did this "exp" come from? I've never put that down for 22, 22wmr or 243? Am I missing something or are the FLO's more easy going up here? :hmm:

Regards,

Gixer

same here never put it down, as soon as you ask for vermin or any quarry it just gets added automatically

The firearms licensing dept. don't always understand that though. I had the expanding ammo condition then they removed it when my cert went in for something. When I queried its removal they said that it was implied because I could shoot vermin etc. and didn't need to be written on there. Others, including BASC, disagreed that it was implied and that it needed to be stated on there otherwise I was illegally in possession of expanding ammo and couldn't buy anymore. They might add it without you asking for it but they might not and I would always ask for exactly what you want.

The firearms licensing dept. don't always understand that though. I had the expanding ammo condition then they removed it when my cert went in for something. When I queried its removal they said that it was implied because I could shoot vermin etc. and didn't need to be written on there. Others, including BASC, disagreed that it was implied and that it needed to be stated on there otherwise I was illegally in possession of expanding ammo and couldn't buy anymore. They might add it without you asking for it but they might not and I would always ask for exactly what you want.

:yes::yes::yes::good:

we do ask for what we want we ask for ammunition to use on pests and deer, bearing in mind you have to use expanding they don't seem to get as confused as people on here

Which section in the Ammo part of the FIR101 suggest or asks for a response anything like can I have ammo to use on pests and deer?

Sorry chap, the ONLY species where expanding in legally required is Deer!

There is no requirement to use expanding on any other species in this country, and any other ammo will kill things!

Ask for what you want, there can be no confusion or doubt or assumption then, if you rely on any Firearms dept to second guess what you mean/want then you are heading for a fall!

ATB!