Red Letter Day

Cosd

My day finally arrived, nearly five years since I started shooting, my Red Letter Day!

I'm sitting here now with now still with the biggest grin on my face, my feet still haven't touched the ground either so please bear with me if I write jiberish :yes:

Before I start I have to say a massive thanks to Terry (Bakerboy) whom I met at 9:00am at one of his permisions. this was the first time we've met even though we have chatted a number of times, but you can tell as soon as you meet him how passionate he is about the sport. We spent around half hour, forty five minutes walking the permision. He explained the land, showed me the usual flightlines and pointed out the permanent hides he's set up around the farm. Terry has invested time on his permision, and it shows.

So Terry left me as he was busy that day, saying he'd seen some birds about whilst setting up his hide for wheelchair users, not great numbers but a steady stream; And advised if I put the hours in I could make a 20-25 bag day. Off he went and I picked my spot and headed down to set my self up.

I put out 20 flocked decoys giving me a wide open ended "V" pattern, and as the wind was blowing in my face slightly from one side, my pattern was set accordingly in that direction. After a few birds came in from over my right shoulder I thinned out the right leg of the pattern and put more decoys on the left of the "V", allowing them to naturally swing in from their side of aproach and not have to correct themselves to much; Just a personal view but if they have to swing round to come in there is a chance they can change their minds.

I was using my Benneli semi auto, 30g 6 Rio's and after I dropped a few added the Turbo Flapper and I use a remote to control it which convenently hangs round my neck. I set up my hide against a 6' hedge which gave me a good backdrop, set up 4 poles making myself a 1m by 2m wide comfy hide. I used a Stealth net up to neck height when seated then added a Clearview another 12" above the Stealth to give me a window to look through in all three directions.

No sooner had I put three cartridges in my gun and a bird cam in over my shoulder, I wasn't quite ready and have hardly had anything to shoot at for months, I missed an easy shot and again with a second as it wizzed away from the pattern. A minute later and I missed two as they shot over my shoulder :/ Two the decoyed perfectly and I dropped my first bird. They started to come in a steady stream and I was soon taking a shot every couple of minutes. My shooting improved as I became accustomed to my gun again and we were on the same wavelength.

The day continued like this and I shot steady from 10:00am through to 5:00pm. The majority of the birds came in over my shoulder as Terry said they would, reactions needed to be quick on the ones that had no plan stopping. I shot pretty well with some excellent shots but missed some absolute sitters as well. I finished the day with 127 downed and 116 picked up, 10 left and rights and about 208 cartridges. By my standards I am really pleased, but I think having such a busy day allows you to hone in on your shooting; Going out and having a dozen shots over 8 hrs for example, doesn't help, and the long delay between shots adds to the anxiety of missing. It does for me anyway!

I've taken a couple of pictures even though I won't need them to remember my day, and before someone says there's only 115 in the picture, you'll see why in the second one.....

Thanks again Terry, definitely a day I won't forget :good::good::good:

post-10631-0-67974200-1306064473.jpg

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Well done mate , payback for you persistance and all the quiet days of late weve had shooting together.

Just glad you rememberd which way round to hold your gun :good:

A pretty good shot ratio too, guess I will have to improve my shooting now :blush:

You definately didnt need any of my peckers yesterday :)

And a :good: for Bakerboy, good man.

Well done Cos.

I hope you have by now stopped "buzzing"

When I spoke with you, you sounded really excited, I would loved to have seen your face.

I could not find the second picture, but no doubt it will pop up in a moment.

And of course after many telephone calls and PM's it was a pleasure to meet up with you.

I had a few beers last night to celebrate your success, I hope you had a few as well.

I look forward to seeing you again soon, and I am wondering if you would cover the permission whilst I am on holiday, or is that a silly question.

cheers

Terry

ps

the crop is Alf Alfa also known as Lucerne, it has been harvested once this year is due to be harvested again in a couple of weeks and we should get another 1 maybe 2 harvests before the end of the season.

Edited by bakerboy

Thanks Terry, the buz hasn't totally gone and I still keep replaying the day in my head.

Would be more than happy to cover the permission whilst you're away, thanks again!

I will put the other picture on shortly, for some reason it wouldn't let me load it.

It a picture of the culprit who took one of the dropped birds!

Edited by Cosd

And here he is, a pack of these ascended the pattern and this hunting machine grabbed one of the downed birds and was gone like the wind :blush:

OK maybe I exagerated a little, the farmers wife was out walking her dogs when this cheeky chapie thought he'd do a retreive, except he wouldn't give it back :lol: saw her walking back after about 45 minutes and he still had it in his mouth....

post-10631-0-83633500-1306074745.jpg

Good shooting. I'm guessing that was over the alfalfa field and that you were on the hedge opposite the small lane, sort of looking toward the big tree and the new wheelchair hide. When I was there last there was a good flight line at that point.

That's right, except I went further along away from the corner, only because I don't like to the restriction shooting from a corner gives you