Taking food on planes advice please

harrycatcat1

Off to Mexico and being rather on the cautious side with spending money I thought about taking some sandwiches or cobs with me as they say that you get one meal and a snack on the 10 hour flight and then there is all the waiting at the airport before you fly about three hours.

I have looked on the Manchester Airport website but it directs you to defra website when you ask about food.

I just wondered what anybody's experience has been. I think you can only take 100ml of fluid through but I will get some water when I get through into the waiting area.

Thanks in advance. Oh I am off in the early hours of tomorrow morning so will not be responding after this evening.

Some airlines discourage you from taking food on board.

What's wrong with an aeroplane meal? I think they're amazing :yes: Sometimes even ask for seconds.

It's worth checking with your airline if you can select a kids meal or something. My girlfriend chose a kids meal and I mocked her from the day we booked the flight to the second we got on the flight. My smirk quickly vanished when she had the nicest chicken nuggets and chips arrive, plus a board game to keep us company for the 12 hour flight.

It's not what you take on a plane that counts, it's what you take off.

If you bring any food, just make sure it's all eaten up or thrown away before you leave the plane, where customs might disagree with what you are trying to bring into the country.

Some airlines discourage you from taking food on board.

What's wrong with an aeroplane meal? I think they're amazing :yes: Sometimes even ask for seconds.

It's worth checking with your airline if you can select a kids meal or something. My girlfriend chose a kids meal and I mocked her from the day we booked the flight to the second we got on the flight. My smirk quickly vanished when she had the nicest chicken nuggets and chips arrive, plus a board game to keep us company for the 12 hour flight.

Not slaging off plane meals just thinking that I am going in the early hours so I will not have breakfast, hour and a half to the airport, three hours waiting, ten hours on the plane, off at the other end, an hour to the hotel = 16 odd hours with one fight meal and a snack its not much to keep a fat b*****s belly from rumbling :no::lol:

Jesus Billy, I'm guessing you either fly first class everywhere of have no sense of taste whatsoever!

:good:

Apparently airplane food tastes different because your tastebuds are affected by the pressurised cabin. So they have to make the flavours stronger to compensate.

Edited by Billy.

What's wrong with an aeroplane meal?

Muck on a truck,disgusting no matter who you fly with.How many people have had thier hands on that food before you put it in your mouth ?

How many times have you had the skitters the day after your flight ?

Be safe take your own packed food,just don't take anything off the plane.

Drink wise once you have passed through security you will be able to purchase soft drinks in WH smiths

john

Muck on a truck,disgusting no matter who you fly with.How many people have had thier hands on that food before you put it in your mouth ?

How many times have you had the skitters the day after your flight ?

Be safe take your own packed food,just don't take anything off the plane.

Drink wise once you have passed through security you will be able to purchase soft drinks in WH smiths

john

You could say that about anything though.. So you don't eat takeaways or frequent a fast food joint? Even your Sainsbury's sandwich has passed through several underpaid immigrants' hands before it's put in the packaging.

I've never felt bad after a meal on a plane. You've probably just got a sensitive gut ;)

You could say that about anything though.. So you don't eat takeaways or frequent a fast food joint? Even your Sainsbury's sandwich has passed through several underpaid immigrants' hands before it's put in the packaging.

I've never felt bad after a meal on a plane. You've probably just got a sensitive gut ;)

I got food poisoning once on a flight to US. Not a pretty sight. Was taken off on stretcher. Was my quickest enty through US immigration ever promamrily because I was spewing up over them.

Overall it depends on who you fly with and what class. Back to the OP's original point. I would say if you are scared about spending money to that degree I wouldn't go on holiday.

You got it right in one :good: I never eat takeaways,ready made meals or sandwiches ,I even struggle to go to a restraunt for a meal,steakhouses where you see it cooked is not too bad.

You might find it odd,but I don't like people touching my food.

john

You got it right in one :good: I never eat takeaways,ready made meals or sandwiches ,I even struggle to go to a restraunt for a meal,steakhouses where you see it cooked is not too bad.

john

Living in Lincolnshire, I worked at a lot of food production/packing and meat processing plants when I was waiting for the apprenticeship applications to open after I left school. If people fingering your food disgusts you then the things I have seen in these places would make your skin crawl..... Just because it comes in a clingfilm wrapper off the shelf, doesn't mean 20 people haven't touched it on the way through the production plant. :yes:

Best start living "the good life" :good:

In response to the OP, before I get on a flight I have a massive fried breakfast and a couple pints of stella. Can't beat it at 4:30am! No need to worry about taking sandwiches on the flight then! :D

Big fat slices of malt loaf with best butter on wrapped in foil. I get lots of jealous looks from my seated neighbours. If you do feel that you may have been poisened on airline snap, go to the local supermarket in resort and buy youself some farleys rusks, best ever for the squits from Auntie.

john

I kind of guessed quite early on that you were fussy about your food/didn't like having it touched by others. Do you wash your hands 200 times a day, by any chance?

Sadly you're missing out big time. I'm not saying you're ignorant, but it's a shame that you can't enjoy a proper takeaway.

Edited by Billy.

There is bound to be a Wetherspoons or a MacD's at the airport - Stock up first.

Also, you're on a 10 hour flight, so you will get a main meal and a snack (prob a sandwich and a cake) but regardless of ticket class, just tell 'em you're peckish and they will always find something for you to stick in your gob.

I kind of guessed quite early on that you were fussy about your food/didn't like having it touched by others. Do you wash your hands 200 times a day, by any chance?

Sadly you're missing out big time. I'm not saying you're ignorant, but it's a shame that you can't enjoy a proper takeaway.

Thanks Billy,it is a big problem at times,it's not 200 but it is a lot.I'm having that much bother just now Iv'e lost nearly 3 stone in just over 2 months.All I seem to eat is breakfast cereal,and toast

Thanks Billy,it is a big problem at times,it's not 200 but it is a lot.I'm having that much bother just now Iv'e lost nearly 3 stone in just over 2 months.All I seem to eat is breakfast cereal,and toast

In all honesty, I think you should try some sort of hypnotherapy. Maybe it might put you at ease... It must be crippling to be worrying over stuff like food. It's honestly not as bad as your brain is telling you.

I got food poisoning once on a flight to US. Not a pretty sight. Was taken off on stretcher. Was my quickest enty through US immigration ever promamrily because I was spewing up over them.

Overall it depends on who you fly with and what class. Back to the OP's original point. I would say if you are scared about spending money to that degree I wouldn't go on holiday.

Yes I agree, me and spending money don't go together easily but I suppose as I have already laid out £3000 for the pair of us for the all inclusive 5* treatment I might as well spend another £40 on **** food at the airport.

Naaaaaaaaaaaa I am still taking cobs, thanks for all the responses and keep the dialogue going for the next couple of weeks I will miss it. And no I don't have an i phone so I cant look at PW when I am there, mines a pay as you go. Tight to the end :good:

Off to Mexico and being rather on the cautious side with spending money I thought about taking some sandwiches or cobs with me as they say that you get one meal and a snack on the 10 hour flight and then there is all the waiting at the airport before you fly about three hours.

I have looked on the Manchester Airport website but it directs you to defra website when you ask about food.

I just wondered what anybody's experience has been. I think you can only take 100ml of fluid through but I will get some water when I get through into the waiting area.

Thanks in advance. Oh I am off in the early hours of tomorrow morning so will not be responding after this evening.

100ml max in each container - fill a dozen or so minatures with voddy & buy fresh orange or mixer once you are through to departures, also some nice pre packed sarnies & crisps :good:

oops :blush: just noticed it's a 10 hr flight :oops: might want to buy a litre of your favourate tipple at duty free ;) ;) ;)

Yes I agree, me and spending money don't go together easily but I suppose as I have already laid out £3000 for the pair of us for the all inclusive 5* treatment I might as well spend another £40 on **** food at the airport.

Naaaaaaaaaaaa I am still taking cobs, thanks for all the responses and keep the dialogue going for the next couple of weeks I will miss it. And no I don't have an i phone so I cant look at PW when I am there, mines a pay as you go. Tight to the end :good:

Hope you enjoy the holiday. As they say watch the pennies and the pounds take care of themselves.

Not all plane food is bad though. This was the last meal I had on a plane. Very nice too. Breakfast on BA F. :yes:

post-2444-0-72298900-1306521973.jpg

not sure on rules ref. food on planes now.....

last time I was in mexico was before the liquids ban etc.... and we packed loads of food and sandwiches. Just be aware, bin any food not eaten before you leave the plane. we picked up our baggage and went through immigration.... hand luggage had the rolls we had not eaten..... mexican immigration made you open up most bags.... they went crazy when they saw the food - no foodstuffs allowed to be brought in to the country -=- doh!