Crop yields forecast down by 10%, £400m loss in revenue

Cosd

It isn't surprising to read that farmers are down on expected crop yields due to lack of rain this year. South east hit worst of all the areas, so though the reported average loss is 10% of crops lost, there are cases where farmers have lost 100% of their crops in the worst hit areas.

All the more reason to do our jobs well keeping the birds off the crops, and even a good time to get out and do some door knocking for those of us who don't have their own permisions. Farmers will want to do everything they can to reduce more crop loss.

10% try 25% plus round us, they won't know how bad till they get it in the barn but it isn't looking good. Here the wheat has tillered and the tillers have then died crops are in places half the height they usually are and very thin. Should give some good sport as its the first year I can remember birds being able to just drop into crops.

Theres a wheat field opposite me and I've not seen a crop like it ever. Its as thick as you like, got cracking ears and its up to my waist and I'm 6'3. Must be hoping to make a killing on the straw. I'm surprised its not lodged. You cant beat heavy clay during a drought.

There are some Rape fields that the pidge have absolutely caned though, one of which was on a farm that I was refused permission on. Diddums.

I spoke to the farmer i get my straw from the other week, and he reckoned he'd be down about 40% this year with his Hay, wheat and rape.... and that was only if we got lots of rain from then on..... he also sowed some Kale... that's been in a couple of weeks with only a few light showers and todays heavy rain to soak it. He's up on the downs , and mostly thin soil over chalk .

Dave

my parents would have usually had a first cut of hay by now but they havent, they are unsure whether they will manage to get a cut at all because the pasture has been growing so slowly they have had to move the horses onto 'fresh' grass.

looks like hay may be in short supply for the winter, if you have horses get what you can

also any gamekeepers on here struggling with covercrops for this season ????

Edited by meinderby

Spoke to my farmer friend today and he said that cereal yields will be down at least 25% no matter how much rain we get between now and harvest . They will allso lose a lot of small grain that will be blown out the back of the combine . Their biggest problem at the moment is to be able to service cereal contracts that they have signed up for . He will have to pay compensation if he carnt Honor the contracts . Farming is not such a simple thing that some people think . Corn is a commodity and the price is as fickle as most women .

Harnser .

As the old saying goes " you never see a farmer on a boike". We've had a drought, no rain or moisture for months and big winds. Some farms lost all their crop. The initial drill didn't germinate and was blown away. Barley drilled again deep, but it won't come to much. The bigger farms are/have been watering barley/wheat at £20 an acre. Some have sown short stem varieties and they look poor. Straw could reach premium prices this year. Loads and loads of rabbits nibbling what's left. Been shooting regular 30-40 bunnies a night on poor crops.

Most of the Barley is for malting, scotch or beer. A lot is committed for export, expect prices to double not this year but may be next.

Growers who aren't locked in will do good methinks.

farmer i live next to said since he planted his lettuces in mid march they have only had 6mm of rain. but he does have a 30acre lake he can water his crops with so his wheat and peas and others are doing ok.

......but his fish are ******!