no bread at the start of your meal?

hendersons

Bread well made and presented is an important part of any good meal.

Many restuarants serve part baked bread and forget that they have the other part of the baking process to complete.

Rolls can be off putting as no matter how small, they look a lot to eat, why not make a loaf, cut the slices about 1" thick and then cut the slice into 3 so that you have a finger of bread about 1" square and a few inches long, this will show little or no crust, look less to eat, and more appealing especially if the bread has some inclusions, Olives, Seeds, Apricots,Sultanas or Grains for example.

Please let me know when you have this get together, and if I can make it, perhaps you will allow me to assist you prepare the bread.

bakerboy

Allow you! I would be honoured :yes:

Edited by hendersons

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

It's in Fairford. It would have to be on a sunday evening as we are closed then, so I could sit down too. If not you would have to make do without me at the table (possibly not a bad thing). It would be a B.Y.O event as i'm not made of money. You could ask fisherman mike about the place. But it's not realy about the restaurant as I would just make a few simple things with what I've shot recently stick it in the middle of the table (and hopefully some nice bread if bakerboy can make it) and let everybody tuck in. It's more of an excuse for us to have a social.

Nick

It's in Fairford. It would have to be on a sunday evening as we are closed then, so I could sit down too. If not you would have to make do without me at the table (possibly not a bad thing). It would be a B.Y.O event as i'm not made of money. You could ask fisherman mike about the place. But it's not realy about the restaurant as I would just make a few simple things with what I've shot recently stick it in the middle of the table (and hopefully some nice bread if bakerboy can make it) and let everybody tuck in. It's more of an excuse for us to have a social.

Nick

Nick, sounds good. Never expected a freebie - BYO sounds good. How about getting people to bring different courses or tasters of stuff they've made themselves to save you doing all the work?

Nick, sounds good. Never expected a freebie - BYO sounds good. How about getting people to bring different courses or tasters of stuff they've made themselves to save you doing all the work?

That sounds like a good idea but I would not like to put people out too much. Do you have any idea who else would come?

Nick

That sounds like a good idea but I would not like to put people out too much. Do you have any idea who else would come?

Nick

Me for one, but very date dependant. I 'm committed to stuff for a lot of weekends for a while. Fisherman Mike and Neil (NJC numbers :P) live close to me so we could share a car. Neil usually has some venison in the chiller too :good: Phil activeviii is up in Gloucester and John BigJohn is down in Wotton, I'm sure they'd be up for it.

Nick

Date dependant, I will be able to make and bake some Bread at my local bakery, using an old Oiled fired Oven.

The Bread will still be fresh and ready to eat on a Sunday afternoon, and what if any is left over will make bl%dy good toast for who ever wants to take it home. depending on numbers I should be able to make a small variety of breads

Date dependant, I will be able to make and bake some Bread at my local bakery, using an old Oiled fired Oven.

The Bread will still be fresh and ready to eat on a Sunday afternoon, and what if any is left over will make bl%dy good toast for who ever wants to take it home. depending on numbers I should be able to make a small variety of breads

Sounds lovely.

I'm lucky living in the part of this part of the country because Henllan bread is available in most local shops and is yummy yummy yummy yummy yummy yummy yummy yummy yummy yummy yummy yummy yummy yummy yummy yummy yummy yummy fill my big fat tummy :P:P:P:yes:

on a daily bases i also like the Roberts seeded loaf :yes:

I work in a restaurant when i'm not out shooting. Over the past few months we have noticed less and less people are eating the bread rolls that we make nor they are just eating the one instead of two. So I was wondering is the entire population now scared of eating carbs. Do we all think that by eating a couple of bread rolls before dinner we are going to end up the size of an American. So how many of you have started to eat less bread and have you noticed any difference? I just realised it could just be that we make **** bread!

Nick

could be the price of wheat nowadays :hmm:

Edited by yickdaz

A couple of years ago we were out with the family in London, (we live in London so its not like we are tourists) and went for lunch in a little Italian spagetti house type of place up a side street. More like a cafe than a restaurant.

On the table when we sat down there was a basket with some manky bits of very dried up bread which we didn't touch. When we got the bill they had charged us £7 for bread and added a 10% service charge to the bill making the bread effectively £7.70 I told them in no uncertain terms to take it off but they argued it.

Maybe people are not touching the bread because they are wary of how much they are getting charged for it. I would be now

Edited by Vince Green

A couple of years ago we were out with the family in London, (we live in London so its not like we are tourists) and went for lunch in a little Italian spagetti house type of place up a side street. More like a cafe than a restaurant.

On the table when we sat down there was a basket with some manky bits of very dried up bread which we didn't touch. When we got the bill they had charged us £7 for bread and added a 10% service charge to the bill making the bread effectively £7.70 I told them in no uncertain terms to take it off but they argued it.

Maybe people are not touching the bread because they are wary of how much they are getting charged for it. I would be now

Yes, I've had this too. They did take it off mine, but only after I kicked off big style :lol: "Cover charge" :lol: Dream on.

I don't go to restaurants to eat bread, I can do that anywhere. This habit of stuffing your face with anything that's shoved in front of us is the prime reason that we are a nation of fat *****.

Yes, I've had this too. They did take it off mine, but only after I kicked off big style :lol: "Cover charge" :lol: Dream on.

I don't go to restaurants to eat bread, I can do that anywhere. This habit of stuffing your face with anything that's shoved in front of us is the prime reason that we are a nation of fat *****.

I have always enjoyed good bread with a meal, but maybe I am biased.

What I find annoying with restaurants, is that if you take a large party in they add on or increase the service charge, how does that work? :hmm:

I often go out in parties of 10/12 people but reserve as 2 parties of 6.

In my world the more you purchase the cheaper it is, not the otherway around :no::no: .

Sorry if I digress

I have always enjoyed good bread with a meal, but maybe I am biased.

What I find annoying with restaurants, is that if you take a large party in they add on or increase the service charge, how does that work? :hmm:

I often go out in parties of 10/12 people but reserve as 2 parties of 6.

In my world the more you purchase the cheaper it is, not the otherway around :no::no: .

Sorry if I digress

That's how it is in my world too.

I'm also one of those ghastly people who won't pay the Service Charge if the service is ****.

I usually pre-empt it (once we've got the food) by suggesting to the waiter that "you won't be adding Service Charge to the bill, I take it" <_<

There's a lot of browbeating with traditional **** in the eating-out industry, but people just need to dig in an **** it off. :sly:

That's how it is in my world too.

I'm also one of those ghastly people who won't pay the Service Charge if the service is ****.

I usually pre-empt it (once we've got the food) by suggesting to the waiter that "you won't be adding Service Charge to the bill, I take it" <_<

There's a lot of browbeating with traditional **** in the eating-out industry, but people just need to dig in an **** it off. :sly:

totally agree

I work in a restaurant when i'm not out shooting. Over the past few months we have noticed less and less people are eating the bread rolls that we make nor they are just eating the one instead of two. So I was wondering is the entire population now scared of eating carbs. Do we all think that by eating a couple of bread rolls before dinner we are going to end up the size of an American. So how many of you have started to eat less bread and have you noticed any difference? I just realised it could just be that we make **** bread!

Nick

I think it's more that people aren't used to the full three courses any more, and if you want

to enjoy the food there's no point filling up with bread first.

The wife and I fairly often share a starter and pudding so we don't end up feeling

stuffed.

Nial.