self employed

hushpower

I am afraid you are on the list of those who do not qualify for that benefit, although you may get incapacity support.

You cannot get SSP if you:

Are aged over 65 or under 16.

Are unemployed.

Are self employed. (You may be able to claim Incapacity Benefit instead.)

Are involved in, or affected by, a trade dispute at work.

Are in legal custody.

Have already had 28 weeks of SSP, gone back to work, but have gone sick again within eight weeks. (But you may qualify for other benefits.)

Have been claiming Incapacity Benefit within the eight weeks before going sick.

Are getting Maternity Allowance or Statutory Maternity Pay. If you had been getting SSP for a pregnancy-related illness you will be switched to Statutory Maternity Pay or Maternity Allowance four weeks before the baby is due. You cannot get SSP for 26 weeks after you start getting Maternity Allowance or Statutory Maternity Pay.

Lifted from another website.

Does any body know the the savings limit one is allowed to have after which ,you cannot claim sick pay. Am pretty sure its £16,000.

hi was self employed up to july last year i received sick pay, had a op on my hand off for a month, 16,000 sounds about right to me, you have to have a interview on the phone they ask you your circumstances it takes about 50 minutes.

I am always shocked that so many self employed dont have cover for health problems or injuries.

Cheers

i used to have a policy but after a few smallish accidents and failed claims on technicalities i decided not to bother anymore, insurance companies always seem to look for an excuse not to pay IMO, won't give them any more of my hard earned than i legally need to.

i looked into a few income protection policies but they nearly all had loopholes in favour of the insurer

I do not bother with any insurance cover,when i had a mortgage i did,but it turns out that they would not have paid out because i was self employed :hmm:

To both the above it could be good news and you could well claim the money back. Sounds like you both have been miss sold the insurance just google Banks and PPI though you might have needed to be hiding under a rock to not read about it in the news :lol:

I do have an insurance that pays me if i'm sick.But !!!! you can only claim once for the same illness in a year,

so if you had the flu twice in one year..the 2nd one would be void, it also covers me for shooting and kayaking

I didn't think you could get sick pay off the state when self employed..learn something everyday

just claiming for 3 PPI's on two bank loans and a credit card, as they did not cover being self employed

Edited by jasper3

I didn't think you could get sick pay off the state when self employed..learn something everyday

you are not able to claim statuatory sick pay if you are self employed.

Statutory Sick Pay

Your employer pays Statutory Sick Pay (SSP) for the first 28 weeks that you are off sick. It is treated like earnings for the purposes of income tax and forms part of your taxable income.

Who can get Statutory Sick Pay

To get Statutory Sick Pay (SSP), you must be unable to work because you are sick or disabled. You must earn at least £102 a week. If you don't earn this amount, or if you're self-employed, you cannot get SSP. You should claim Employment and Support Allowance (ESA). instead.

Part-time workers, workers on a fixed-term contract and agency workers all qualify for SSP.

If you were getting ESA within the last twelve weeks, you do not get SSP. Your employer should tell you if you are not entitled to SSP by giving you form SSP1, or their own version of it. You can then reclaim ESA instead.

If you are off sick and you are not sure whether you can get Statutory Sick Pay, you should consult an experienced adviser, for example, at a Citizens’ Advice Bureau. To search for details of your nearest CAB, including those that can give advice by email, click on (New window) nearest CAB.

How much is Statutory Sick Pay

Statutory Sick Pay (SSP) is paid at a fixed rate of £81.60 a week. If you get contractual sick pay you may get more sick pay than this but it will depend on what your contract of employment says.

For more information about SSP and contractual sick pay, see Off work because of sickness.