stornoway/isle of lewis

highseas

ime realy looking at a job on lewis i think i have a very good chance at it as dose my head keeper,so ime sending my application of tomorrow.

the question is just how remote is it up thier like is their tv? is their internet or shops from what i can se their is only 2 roads!

ps whats the pubs and women like up thier i think its gona be like norflok and cherish new blood lines :lol::lol:

For what its worth,...

Got a mate who lives there. He went up to work as a Ghillie and has married, settled and has three children he's happy, and regards the island as his home. Excellent fieldsport opportunities. Local people made us very welcome, unbelievable scenery, still a strong sense of community, Stornoway a cracking looking (and quite busy) town...

But i don't know if i could live there, and i live in a relatively remote part of Wales, and was brought up out in the sticks. However for a fortnights holiday with fishing gear, working dogs and guns, paradise!

Cheers

Aled

I think the sheep outnumber the people and in many cases are better looking! :yp: Does he have any Welsh blood? ;)

Hey my mate who lives there has a lot of Welsh blood do reckon its relevant? :D

LOL :rolleyes:

Aled

Edited by Aled

its a nice place, very relaxed and not terribly remote (stornoway has everything you need, really) the people are quite friendly and ive never had a problem with midges there (the wind seems to keep them away)

also as far as the women on the island...... i think i managed to get the last decent one :lol: (unless you like them sturdy)

Plenty of women but also plenty of chip shops so pack some beer goggles. Plenty of rain. The Castle across the harbour in Stornaway about the only place in the outer Hebrides where you'll see a tree.

If you've got an English accent keep you mouth shut in most pubs in Stornaway. Lots of dregs around the harbour. Real Islanders are lovely people.

Do take industrial insect repellent, very good waterproofs and a bible.

Do visit Hushinish and climb Chaipaval on Harris to experience true silence for probably the first time in your life.

Don't take any shorts.

Plenty of women but also plenty of chip shops so pack some beer goggles. Plenty of rain. The Castle across the harbour in Stornaway about the only place in the outer Hebrides where you'll see a tree.

If you've got an English accent keep you mouth shut in most pubs in Stornaway. Lots of dregs around the harbour. Real Islanders are lovely people.

Do take industrial insect repellent, very good waterproofs and a bible.

Do visit Hushinish and climb Chaipaval on Harris to experience true silence for probably the first time in your life.

Don't take any shorts.

ah hum.. so if i get the go ahead then its looks like ime gone be dodgeing the english haters (all scots realy :oops: ) makeing freinds with sheep :blush: being eaten by miges as big as dragon flies. and geting drowned

hmm so this could be fun,god i hope i get the job!

highlander my head man is applying for a job thier too lol (rats,,,sinking ship :lol: ) the only tree eh??? thats gona have to come down for fire wood!

ohh and one very very important thing is their police their in any numbers? and whats the fox situ like their?

ah hum.. so if i get the go ahead then its looks like ime gone be dodgeing the english haters (all scots realy :oops: ) makeing freinds with sheep :blush: being eaten by miges as big as dragon flies. and geting drowned

hmm so this could be fun,god i hope i get the job!

highlander my head man is applying for a job thier too lol (rats,,,sinking ship :lol: ) the only tree eh??? thats gona have to come down for fire wood!

ohh and one very very important thing is their police their in any numbers? and whats the fox situ like their?

Don't know about foxes but there are plenty of rabbits and mink.

Plenty police around Stornaway. They're generally fairly friendly, they have to be, they'll know most of the people they nick. Away from Stornaway especially Harris south of Tarbert you'll be luck/unlucky to see a copper once a fortnight. Because of this some people are tempted to drink and drive (which they'll propably do at home-there are almost no pubs away from town). Don't. If someone dobs you in, and they will if you've offended anyone, you're finished up there without a driving lisence.

I'd go if I was you. Its a unique experience and its one of the last places in Britain that still feels wild. But its changing. Houses are cheap and townies are snapping them up and wrecking everything just like they've done in most of England.

You'll get no anti-English hostility away from Stornaway unless you meet a Glaswegian on holiday.

It's not the police you need to concern yourself with. A few years back the EU spent a small fortune builing a beautiful piece of blacktop that runs almost right up/down the island and in places you could easily exceed any speed limits. The limiting factor was the sheep wandering all over the road, accidents were quite common.

Lewis has a strong Presbyterian tradition so don’t expect to get a drink on a Sunday unless you know Jimmie who runs the illicit pub across the road from one of the churches in Stornoway. I kid you not!. In fact don’t expect to get a thing on a Sunday it’s stay at home day! Last keeper I met there had spent the first few weeks on the island without daily deliveries and no one speaking to him until he stopped working on Sundays. Don’t think you’ll need to worry about foxes, there aren’t any but the (vicious) gulls are HUGE! It’s not a place I‘d like to live (great to visit if you like shooting wild) and I like wilderness. As with many of the islands it’s a good place to be drunk…helps you forget!

If the women are fugly you can always go Celtic courting" tupping to anyone else" to that well known love song duelling banjos.

Go for it if it's ***** you can allways get another job and move on, but if your current position is as you say a sinking ship you have nothing to lose.

You say your head keeper is going to go aswell so you got one mate drinking buddy sorted.

ATB figgy

yeo ive soent 2 days on my application form its a ******* nightmare!! "name one recent instance where you have had to work thrue a member of the public to achive a goal" does telling that dogwalker if i se his dag chaseing deer again ile chuck him and it in the river count? probly not eh well ime puting in for it any how the worst that can happen is i get a interveiw and a weekend off work to go for it :D

it seems all rural places are cronic for fall outs and treating strangers like ghosts i can only think this will be worse! ile just set up a photcheen still and watch them come flocking :yp: