What side by side?

Shadowchaser

I will be looking to purchase in the next couple of months a 12ga side by side

shotgun.

I would like to buy new with a budget of around £600 - £900. The gun will

not be used very often and I'm not too fussed about buying a lesser known make.

I have looked at a make called Yildiz. They seem to be retailing within budget.

Are they a good gun?

Thanks.

:hmm: My opinion is I wouldn't waste my money on a new 'budget' sbs. You'll never, ever get your money back and I think there are some much better built s/h sbs than a Yildiz that'll definitely last you a lifetime.

There's been some cracking guns come up of late on Gun Watch well within your budget and far superior. An English sbs may be considered the best (by some) but I'd look out for a good Spanish make (AYA?), Belgian or Italian. They are really good value for money at the mo, but it would still need to be a helluva deal to get me to part with my (Spanish) Astra :yes: .

For that sort of money I'd recommend a Miroku MS150. Pick one up after a Spanish gun and you'll not want to put it down again. Better engineering, better blueing, slightly heavier built, it will last a lifetime!

I wouldn't. There are some cracking s/h Brit/Spanish s x s that are well within your budget and they will last you a life time. You will get immense pleasure from shooting them, if you get one that suits. :good:

I have not shot a yildiz but from what I have herd they are a well built budget gun, and have sold very well since introduced to the UK. If you was going to use it alot for rough shooting or pigeon shooting it would be alright, but if your not going to use it often, I wouldnt buy new just to let it devalue. You will pick up a nice AYA in your budget and if bought right (price and condition) you shouldnt lose money, but wont gain much either. You will also pick up a good English SxS in your budget. I bought a J & W Tolly 12bore BLE for £650, used it on and off for 3 years then sold it for £1100. W W Greener's are popular at the moment and a pleasure to shoot like all English guns. If you want new and like the Yildiz, so long as it fits you right and you are happy with it (money not an issue) then go for it. If you just want something to play with you will get a better gun second hand, and if you dont like it, sell it for what you paid for ( or more) and try something elce. Just make sure you know what your buying. A good English SxS will last a lifetime, a bad one is no better then fire wood.

A parallel can be drawn with purchasing a car.

Would you buy a brand new Skoda/Lada or a 3 year old Ford Focus with service history?

If you will not be using the gun that much, then I would suggest a pre-owned 'well-known' Spanish make from a reputable dealer:

AYA, etc.

It depends what the gun will be used for:

A bit of rabbitting a few times per year; Baikal 12g sbs

A bit of game shooting a few times per year; AYA Yeoman

etc. etc.

Edited by ricko

theres a winchester 23 on guntrader £795 and looks superb. im 23 and love the look and feel of sbs people lagh at me but i love em. ive got 2 un named paid 100 quid for one and 90 for the other 1 has ejectors and they are fantastic i just use them as a rough shooting gun.

Would you buy a brand new Skoda/Lada or a 3 year old Ford Focus with service history?

If you will not be using the gun that much, then I would suggest a pre-owned 'well-known' Spanish make from a reputable dealer:

AYA, etc.

It depends what the gun will be used for:

A bit of rabbitting a few times per year; Baikal 12g sbs

A bit of game shooting a few times per year; AYA Yeoman

etc. etc.

Actually that is pretty much what I do with my car purchases. Though I buy 7-10 years prestige models

like Mercedes Jaguar - run them for a couple of years and then trade in for another.

So your example is a good one. It will be used for the odd bit of game/rabbit shooting etc.

I would agree that AYA is a good place for you to start. Never known anyone complain about these. My Yeoman is 40 years old and still a great gun for field and clays. There are lots of good English SBS out there still that have a lot of life in them, but until you know what to look for or trust the seller absolutely, then go with the Yeoman. It is after all, a fair copy of a Holland and Holland SBS, so not much to argue over, there! :good:

Mart

I would agree that AYA is a good place for you to start. Never known anyone complain about these. My Yeoman is 40 years old and still a great gun for field and clays. There are lots of good English SBS out there still that have a lot of life in them, but until you know what to look for or trust the seller absolutely, then go with the Yeoman. It is after all, a fair copy of a Holland and Holland SBS, so not much to argue over, there! :good:

Mart

I always thought AYA were good too. I've had three including my current #4, but believe me, the Miroku SXS is a different class altogether in engineering and blueing, and if their O/U guns are anything to go by it will also prove very reliable.

Not quite sure how a Ford (Fix Or Repair Daily) can be compared to a Skoda/VW/Audi? You hit 100-120 thousand miles in a Ford and it's hello Mr. Scrapman.

On a note about the topic. I paid £150 for my Yeoman and its faultless. I've never really looked into new SxS's but there doesn't seem to be much of a market for them. Most are pretty soulless and bland, however like has been said before a good condition 2nd hand one will be a much nicer thing to shoot with.

Edited by rtaylor

The Winchester is a beaut , so was my AYA Matador . Similar raised rib and beavertail forend . The SBS that suits me best however is my trusty Baikal ,D/T N/E as I can hit stuff with it and do not mind knocking it about . Bomb proof . Depends what suits you . They all do the same thing at the end of the day .

Plenty of choice for that sort of budget I would look for an older gun in good condition if your happy with DT then loads of choice I have a BSA200 made by SKB it was my grand fathers and has great sentimental value they can be had for £500 ish as can many others.

This is the BSA which i had the wood refinished on, its a single trigger non selective ejector

Edited by HDAV

I will be looking to purchase in the next couple of months a 12ga side by side

shotgun.

I would like to buy new with a budget of around £600 - £900. The gun will

not be used very often and I'm not too fussed about buying a lesser known make.

I have looked at a make called Yildiz. They seem to be retailing within budget.

Are they a good gun?

Thanks.

Just short of the mark for a nice english box lock but a mint AYA N0 4 is in reach. Also a nice Webley 700 could be found both would serve you well and should you wish to move on at a latter date to grander things both would be very easy to px or sell.

Should you wish any help from me please pm me Sage/Dennis.

Because I haven't a clue how to, any minute Jasp' is going to post a photo for me (how on earth I managed to send it by e-mail to him, I'll never know).

Now these are nice and one is worth 7 times the other but one is well within your price bracket. It's just a case of which do you fancy? (Sage, you're still not having it! Best wishes)

If it was my choice I would look around for a good English gun-second hand prices on the vast majority of S/S guns is rock bottom for some reason so now is a good atime to buy.I would try and find a cased example and damascus barrels would be bonus-these guns are stunning to hold and shoot and remain a testament to the English gun trade-enjoy your search-I wish I was in the same boat. ;)

Plenty of choice for that sort of budget I would look for an older gun in good condition if your happy with DT then loads of choice I have a BSA200 made by SKB it was my grand fathers and has great sentimental value they can be had for £500 ish as can many others.

This is the BSA which i had the wood refinished on, its a single trigger non selective ejector

Very nice! :o Not seen this one before.

The Yeoman, by the way goes for around £200. Not as pretty as the BSA you have, but good value for a lot of gun.