A little surprised by the result

cooter

I was out at stupid o'clock this morning to try and get the deer I missed two weeks ago.

I managed to get to the base of the hide without anything seeing me, so I scanned the area for a good few minutes for any signs of life.

When I was sure that nothing was about I started to climb into the seat, only for the deer which was fifty yards away in the wood to set off barking.

I completed the climb, and as I looked toward the still barking deers’ location, another deer hopped out from a dense area of bush seventy yards away, tail in the air, and decided to join it’s buddy, that was still barking occasionally.

As I know the area well, I knew that there would be others along soon, so I got settled.

After twenty minutes the woodland animals began to accept my presence, and I was soon being entertained by greys, woddies, doves, buzzards, tree creaper’s, blue tits and a myriad other creatures, all good stuff, but no deer.

After sitting in the hide right up to 08.00 hours, with nothing more than the grey coming and sitting a few metres away from me, I thought I should move, and go for a mooch in the wood.

Now I was in the same place last week, and after sitting there for the normal few hours, I was taken very much by surprise, when a munty managed to get right underneath my seat, before standing barking at me, in about the only place where I could not get a clear shot, for about twenty seconds, then hoping away through the wood, still barking as it went, so this time I was ready.

I moved very slowly, and scanned the area constantly, as I started to move around, getting ready to descend.

As I stood up fully, a movement caught my eye, and with a little concentration, I could see a buck making his way along the fence line about sixty yards away.

I watched intently, and each time he seemed to settle I would inch toward a position where I would be able to pick him off as he got closer.

He was very wary, and it took me an age to get into position, but as soon as I was there I started to track him through the scope.

He got to within thirty yards of me, and from my hide, which is five metres in the air, there was just one bush in between us.

As the ground cover is dense, I wanted to be sure that he would drop quickly, so there were only one or two places where he would have a few metres to run about in if he didn’t drop on the spot, and as if on queue he hopped under the fence, and walked straight into the middle of one, I blew him a kiss, and he stopped, I squeezed the trigger, and he bowled over backward, then raced straight toward me, only veering toward the denser undergrowth at the last second, but he never made it.

He stopped running, staggered a little, then dropped, by which time he was five metres from my high seat. I cycled the bolt, but there was no need to worry. He twitched a few times yerking his head, but other than that he just lay still.

I watched him for a few minutes, then started to scan around, as it was about the time they all seem to appear.

As I was looking back to where the barking deer had been a movement caught my eye again.

It looked like this was going to be a good morning.

The movement was a long way off in the wood, and not easy to id, so I raised the field glasses and scanned intently.

After an age the browser came in to view, albeit through about twenty shrubs and fallen trees, and it was charley.

He was the other side of a lot of brush and scrub, but generally making his way toward me.

He kept appearing, but no clear shot, until eventually he stopped in about the only place I could get him, but it would be like threading a needle at fifty yards.

The shot was going to be through his back, but he was sat really still, so it was a good enough target area.

I squeezed off the round, and he flipped around, but didn’t move far.

I gave it another few minutes, then got down from the seat.

I hung the Munty, and started him bleeding out, then went to check Charley.

I stalked up to where I last saw him, and there he was, laid out, with nothing but flies for company. But as I got close

I was very surprised to find that there was another Charley, of about the same age, right where I had hit him, but this one was missing most of the top of it’s head.

On close inspection they must have been sat together, and the shot had passed through the first one, taking most of it’s insides with it, and killed this one outright.

I suppose I could have waited to get better visibility, but as they both died instantly I’m not upset about the outcome.

All told it was a good morning’s work.

post-18313-0-15195900-1309636257.jpg

Thanks to you all for the comments.

I must admit I was a bit stumped when I saw there were two laid out, and I had to check that they were both still warm before I was certain what had happened.

At the time it made me smile, but later it made me think, I could have wounded the second one, and not killed it outright, if i'd been using BT's and not soft points.

Just my thoughts.