another lunatic with a dog he couldn't control

kdubya

what is it with people who own these things? here is a bloke who has half his face ripped open (more pics in the paper than here) and yet he says I would recommend them to anyone? (didn't stop putting the nice pooch down mind, hypocrite!)is it a testosterone thing or a simple lack of grey matter :hmm:

KW

http://www.hartlepoolmail.co.uk/news/local/man_needed_96_stitches_after_horrific_attack_by_his_own_dog_heag_1_3640385

Well, look on the bright side, at least it was the moron that bought one that got bit.

For the life of me I don't see the fascination in these dogs, other than as some kind of charver trophy to intimidate others. Not very pretty, no good for anything other than fighting but they seem to be getting more and more popular round here as the trash moves out of north London to give their little **** brats a 'better life'.

They always seem to be towing the same type of people around too; either scrawny little pasty skinned, pinched-faced, rat-like teenagers or fat, middle-aged bald headed thugs with a mismatch of random tattoos and footy shirt and/or beer gut.

When's the last time you saw an old English sheepdog, Airedale or any other interesting breed? It's just weird ???.

The man was just letting his dogs run free - off their leads - on a recreation ground. One of his dogs was capable and inclined to attack a person - because it did so - allegedly for no reason. I feel like this is half a tale.

Still, it was better than the dog attacking an innocent bystander.

The man is a halfwit. I feel sorry for the dog, more than him. The dog is dead and he is still very stupid.

Well, look on the bright side, at least it was the moron that bought one that got bit.

For the life of me I don't see the fascination in these dogs, other than as some kind of charver trophy to intimidate others. Not very pretty, no good for anything other than fighting but they seem to be getting more and more popular round here as the trash moves out of north London to give their little **** brats a 'better life'.

They always seem to be towing the same type of people around too; either scrawny little pasty skinned, pinched-faced, rat-like teenagers or fat, middle-aged bald headed thugs with a mismatch of random tattoos and footy shirt and/or beer gut.

When's the last time you saw an old English sheepdog, Airedale or any other interesting breed? It's just weird ???.

I know what you are saying about the status thing but Its more the owner than the dogs I was of the same mind about them fighting etc but my wife brought one home at 6 months she is now 13years (the dog not my wife) and has never hurt or attacked anything we have two kids 9 years and 2 years another dog (boxer) a cat which was bought when the dog was 8 and ferrets the dogs have never chased or hurt the cat and the ferrets rule the dogs lol I have never had such a loving and well easy to train dog

I know what you're saying Fergie, and I agree wholeheartedly that it is down to the training and discipline to create a balanced dog. Any breed within reason can be turned into a monster given the wrong environment.

However, the Staffy was bred purely as a fighting dog, it's well documented that this breed has issues with other dogs and often people, it is immensely powerful for it's size and I'm never surprised to read these stories when the majority of owners appear to be from the pig-****-thick end of the evolutionary stick and only have one to bolster there lack of self-confidence and intimidate others.

Do a little bit of general observation when you see one of these towing the owner down the road, would you really want to put a dog bred for fighting in the hands of such an individual? Do you really think many such boneheads would take the time and attention to create a well rounded puppy and then continue to nurture that to maturity?

It's just a shame for the dogs, they deserve better.

Edited by mick miller

Do a little bit of general observation when you see one of these towing the owner down the road, would you really want to put a dog bred for fighting in the hands of such an individual? Do you really think many such boneheads would take the time and attention to create a well rounded puppy and then continue to nurture that to maturity?

I don't need too I have one but like you say mine is trained my 2 year old can walk her (I still hold the lead ) but the ones you see pulling its owner they are the people that should have no dog at all let alone a strong physically and mentally as a stafftess.jpg That is Tess

and her best mate bruno.jpg

Edited by fergie

I think we're in agreement. Nothing wrong with the breed although personally I think that they're fugly and generally useless (but that goes for a lot of other breeds too); it's just a shame they attract the wrong type of people. As you say, most shouldn't have a dog of any type.

As I said, it's a shame for the dogs as they deserve much, much better.

Edited by mick miller

I know what you're saying Fergie, and I agree wholeheartedly that it is down to the training and discipline to create a balanced dog. Any breed within reason can be turned into a monster given the wrong environment.

However, the Staffy was bred purely as a fighting dog, it's well documented that this breed has issues with other dogs and often people, it is immensely powerful for it's size and I'm never surprised to read these stories when the majority of owners appear to be from the pig-****-thick end of the evolutionary stick and only have one to bolster there lack of self-confidence and intimidate others.

:stupid:

9 times out of 10 its always a Staffie that shows aggression or attacks my dog. But I look at the owners and see why they do and they just dont care if it's aggressive. I have seen a few good owners of them but they are outnumbered by far by the baddens.

Only have to ask yourself why Chavs or Druggies go for these types of dogs.

Its all in the name......I know people with staffys, and they generally seem ok. But they are TERRIERS, and terriers

arent exactly renowned for being 'People/Animal' dogs.

I do think the breed needs to be managed better,

because 9 times out of 10, they are owned by muppets, they are normally owned

PJ wearing Chavs, or the other side of the muppet spectrum.

All dogs have the ability to attack, but if a specific breed is engineered to retreive, they retreive?? So if the PitBull

types are breed to fight.........

Just my views.......

Edited by Matty7247

The guy looks like he has come from the shallowest end of the gene pool like a lot of the owners of these unfortunate dogs. I definitley think there is more to it than it just attacked him randomly....my dog is a terrier, ok not a fighting one, (and yes I agree he has the capacity to attack) and he would never touch a human with his teeth unless it was some ***** attacking me or my mrs or a burglar as he has been brought up by me since 8 weeks old and nurtured into a totally trustworthy dog, something I doubt this bloke has the capacity to do...

My cousin has a White staffy it's soft as muck and does exactly what it's told, it never needs to be on a lead, just always at her feet her kids pull the dog about an it just looks at them then dozes back off asleep. I think it's all down to the owners any dog can be nasty in the right hands. It's had dogs bite it, never retaliated. It's just sits in the garden watchin the world go by, it's friendly with new people, neighbours the lot. When out walking it he is on lead but only incase he waddles into the road, never pulls, infact you have to pull te dog Round. Unless this a total 1 off i don't think these dogs are dangerous it's the owners who are. Some people think guns are dangerous, it's the person behind it who is :)

And that's why hoops are set for us to jump through and vetting is carried out before being granted a certificate. Shame the same logic isn't applied when it comes to dogs and other responsibilities.

Its a great idea but can you imagine the resources needed to set up, manage and administrate such a system. I struggle to see how it could be implemented but I echo your sentiment Mick.

Its bull that its entirely the owners, yes a lot of them are undesirable types but thats not the underlying cause. You can get dogs that just flip, there was a run of cockers that did it for a while often to family members but the big difference is you have the upper hand with a cocker you don't with a decent sized staffie. The other thing to remember is a fair few have been crossed with pit bulls or indeed are and just being called things like Irish staffies. A big give away is the height of the dogs if its got decent length legs and looks athletic odds are at least some pit bull in there. In this case it might have been playing and got carried away who knows. Personally I don't like them but you get the short legged variety and its surprising how many live with little old ladies and don't bat an eyelid at anything.

They are certainly not all bad. I had a staffy for 13 years, lost her last Monday to a failed liver. She was ace, I used her for ferreting & bushing and flushing rabbits for the lurchers. She was everybit as effective as a spaniel, there was nowhere she wouldn't go through! She was a vital member of my mouching team.She lived happily with the lurcher in the house and welcomed an 8 week wirehaired vizsla in 2 weeks ago and even tried to mother her despite her failing health. Whilst I fully admit, this isn't the norm and most people who now have them are incapable of looking after them and they are a fashion statement, they are a capable dog in the hands of someone who knows how to look after a dog properly. I would love another one (when HWV pup is older - she a handful!), but finding a genuine breeder that breeds them as they should be is getting harder - chav's see them as a cheap quid and so they are bred indiscriminately - just look at the number of staffies & staffy crosses in dogs homes..... Times have changed so much with dogs, when I got my staffy pup in 1998, rotties & bull mastiffs were the chav's breed of choice, guess staffies being smaller are cheaper to feed!

i don't think these dogs are dangerous it's the owners who are. Some people think guns are dangerous, it's the person behind it who is :)

so you can't recognise that a gun is an inanimate object used by a person, and that a dog is a living animal with a mind of its own and that it will when it wants do what IT wants not what you want, and that it's the dog not the owner that bites and all to often kills , then perhaps you have not really grasped the concept of what is and isn't dangerous have you?

KW

often has issues with people?? check any dog website, book or text - staffs are accepted worldwide as one of the most, if not THE most, people friendly dog, especially with children.

i have owned many dogs and currently have a staff x, and my missus work with different dogs every day and staffs are by far one of the friendliest and easiest to train. it is all down to the training and the owners. staffies always 100% of the time want to please their owner (i agree in this case something is a bit fishy, the guy not telling the whole truth) but in general i completely reccomend this breed to anyone.

quote taken from KC website on Staffordshire Bull Terrier breed standard

Characteristics:

Traditionally of indomitable courage and tenacity. Highly intelligent and affectionate especially with children

http://www.thekennelclub.org.uk/cgi-bin/item.cgi?id=87

another quote found on wikipedia

TemperamentAlthough individual differences in personality exist, common traits exist throughout the Staffords. Due to its breeding, the modern dog is known for its character of indomitable courage, high intelligence, and tenacity. This, coupled with its affection for its friends, its off-duty quietness and trustworthy stability, make it a foremost all-purpose dog.[3] It has been said that "No breed is more loving with its family"[4] It is the only breed to have the words 'totally reliable' in its breed standard. Furthermore, the Staffordshire Bull Terrier is one of only two breeds from over 190 recognized by the UK Kennel Club to have a mention of the breed's suitability with children.[5]

The breed is naturally muscular and may appear intimidating; however, because of their natural fondness for people, most Staffords are temperamentally ill-suited for guard or attack-dog training. Staffordshire Bull Terrier puppies are very easy to house train

Edited by BenBhoy

My cousin has a White staffy it's soft as muck and does exactly what it's told, it never needs to be on a lead, just always at her feet her kids pull the dog about an it just looks at them then dozes back off asleep. I think it's all down to the owners any dog can be nasty in the right hands. It's had dogs bite it, never retaliated. It's just sits in the garden watchin the world go by, it's friendly with new people, neighbours the lot. When out walking it he is on lead but only incase he waddles into the road, never pulls, infact you have to pull te dog Round. Unless this a total 1 off i don't think these dogs are dangerous it's the owners who are. Some people think guns are dangerous, it's the person behind it who is :)

When you walk into the room one day, and this dog is chewing away on of the kids, ill be the first to stand up, point my finger at U and say "TOLD YOU SO!". I wouldnt wish it on any child, but it will happen. How do you know what its thinking? Dogs dogs dont sit and watch the world go by, but the do sit and work out who they can get the better of, and how to do it. Eating the child is its first thought. Deluded? I think so.

When you walk into the room one day, and this dog is chewing away on of the kids, ill be the first to stand up, point my finger at U and say "TOLD YOU SO!". I wouldnt wish it on any child, but it will happen. How do you know what its thinking? Dogs dogs dont sit and watch the world go by, but the do sit and work out who they can get the better of, and how to do it. Eating the child is its first thought. Deluded? I think so.

but surely that is the case with any breed of dog? no matter how reliable, i dont think children under a certain age should be left alone with any breed.

Edited by BenBhoy

There are good and bad dogs in any breed. The underclass of our society buy so called 'hard' dogs and, in their eyes, train the dog to bite by pushing the dog into defense. It's an easy (make that lazy) way to make a dog look the part and boost the chavs ego. The issue then is you have a dog with the ability to bite without the control and in a situation where the dog feels under pressure, its first instinct is to bite.

It does sound like the issue here was at the other end of the lead.