Long Range Hunting

Although I've seen this before Kip I enjoyed watching it again :lol: ...........Would love to know what calibres ,scopes and loads were being used :good:

As you requested mate here it is;

The effective range of this system varies with conditions, of course, but it will effectively take big game out to 800 yds if the shooter does everything perfectly. Rarely does the shooter do everything perfectly and I am much more comfortable inside 650 yds. This system will dial on to ranges in excess of 1500 yds for shooting practice at inanimate targets. One of my favorite activities is rock shooting at extreme ranges.

Components of the LRP:

The action is a Remington 700 BDL. The threads were cut true to the bolt raceway and all other machine work was then trued to the threads. This includes the bolt face and action face with the lugs lapped to full contact. The feed rails and feed ramp are polished and the magazine box is fitted to the cartridge for reliable feeding.

An aftermarket trigger was installed to provide a perfect trigger release. A great trigger is large step in the right direction to making a system as easy to shoot as possible.

Leupold QD bases were then installed and were drilled and reamed for precision dowel pins to prevent movement of the base on the receiver. This is the major area of movement when a rifle loses its zero. The bases are only held in position on the action by friction. Some Gunsmiths replace the small 6 gauge screws with larger 8 gauge screws but this really does not do much. The mount can still be moved on the action by a sharp blow. Physically attaching the mounts make for a much stronger set up. The QD mounts have a great strength to weight ratio and give some added flexibility to the system.

An oversize hardened steel recoil lug is fitted to the action. The factory mild steel lug will not allow enough axial preload to be applied to the barrel to positively prevent movement of the action/barrel joint.

A stainless steel match grade, stress relieved, hand lapped barrel was then installed using a proprietary thread form to positively stabilize the action/barrel joint. The barrel was fluted to speed cooling time for summer practice sessions. The chamber was cut for a proprietary round called the .284 WRP. The finished length is 26 inches.

The cartridge is called the .284 WRP and is VERY similar to the commercial 7mm STW. The only difference is in the throat geometry. I change the length of freebore and leade angle to make it shoot better. 7mm STW factory throats are not the best design for good accuracy. Standard brass and loading dies work perfectly and I suppose so would factory ammunition if I wanted to increase ammo costs and decrease performance levels. This combination will shoot a 150gr bullet at 3400 fps in the 26 inch barrel. I use both Barnes XBTs and Swift Sciroccos and still can't figure out which one I really prefer.

Next item is a McMillan A-3 stock. The system most seen on TV is black but I prefer the molded in marble patterns. The action is pillar bedded with the barrel free floating. This stock is somewhat unconventional in appearance but very functional. It handles recoil very well and the vertical pistol grip positions the firing hand much better than a conventional sporter stock. This is a large stock and requires a special saddle scabbard for use on horseback. A stud is installed in the forend to mount a quick release bipod.

The scope is a Leupold 4.5 X 14 Long Range Side Focus 30mm tube with a 50mm objective. Try saying that 5 times fast. I had Premier Reticles install my custom reticle and replace the tall windage turret with a coin click turret to make it better for a saddle scabbard. The reticle has windage dots for wind holds and vertical lines for quick range finding. This scope will dial on to ranges over 1700 yds on warm days.

A custom Bullet Drop Compensator was then installed exactly matching the drop of the .284 WRP in this rifle. This enables us to range the animal and then dial the exact amount of elevation in to the scope to allow a dead on hold at that range. The development of the extremely accurate drop data takes a large amount of time and knowledge and is one of the most important aspects of long range shooting.

"No way we could get across the bottom of this canyon and up on the bull?"

THATS CALLED FIELDCRAFT YOU **** !

Forget fieldcraft, lets try and experiment at long range shots with live animals.

How many were wounded and left in pain :good:

• 2 weeks later...
Admittedly, the shots they do show are pretty impressive. But, as some other members pointed out, how many missed or maimed?! Personally, I would prefer the challenge of getting up close and knowing the shot would count.

IAS

I think that the guys who partake in this extreme range shooting would not take the shots if they were not 110% confident in their own abilities and the capabilities of their equipment.

In the full DVD, the host stresses time and again how important it is to hone your skills on inanimate targets, either distant paper or distant rocks, before even considering pursuing live quarry and shooting it at these extreme distances.

A young shooter hits three balloons one after another. One at 300 yards, one at 400 yards, and finally at 550yards. this shows that the equipment is built for the job and the guy has put in the practice.

Even so, it is possible to muck up a 100 yard shot , so I am positive that it is possible to muck up a shot at 500 yards or more.

Not a dig at anyone who disapproves, just what you see in the full length DVD. :good:

Rob.

These guys are astounding, BUT

Every shooter has many tales of "Just as I pulled the trigger it moved".

Same as with these guys.

Technically is obviously can be done, and they have proven it.

But, just plain irresponsible as far as I can see. Lots, lots lots of wounded animals as part of the learning curve.

Don

• 1 month later...

I know it's a while since this thread was started. I admit that there was some good shooting but how many injured animals fell down the side of that canyon, I know all most of us shoot rabbits and other vermin but after a kill how many slap their thighs, laugh out loud and give high fives?

I know I Don't

• 2 weeks later...
I know it's a while since this thread was started. I admit that there was some good shooting but how many injured animals fell down the side of that canyon, I know all most of us shoot rabbits and other vermin but after a kill how many slap their thighs, laugh out loud and give high fives?

I know I Don't

ditto :good::good: