wasp nests dug out by animal

rocko

no fur around claw marks but nothing like a badger like i said i can guarantee there is no badgers pad marks do look simular to fox though there is plenty of easy game on this land for the foxes and the ground is really hard going i found this out digging to the ferrets its bafflein me cause its not in a particular area they are dug out all around the land.

no fur around claw marks but nothing like a badger like i said i can guarantee there is no badgers pad marks do look simular to fox though there is plenty of easy game on this land for the foxes and the ground is really hard going i found this out digging to the ferrets its bafflein me cause its not in a particular area they are dug out all around the land.

Despite what many think the Fox is not the greatest digger, he will if needs must, but by way of a home it is common for him to move into an old rabbit warren and do some alterations! :good:

He will not dig for food (other that scratching the surface a bit) unless he is desperate or confident of a good meal!

Like I say this is a new one on me, I have not come across this before, but by way of digging there is nothing short of a JCB to rival the Badger in this country!

How similar do the pad marks look to fox, the Badger has one extra pad, but much longer claws?

Dogs??

Badgers have dug out wasp nests for as long as I can remember. I don’t see badgers around where I live but they do travel a long way from the wood and have dug up the grass verge outside of a house down the road and are using it for a toilet. The householder has combated this by laying chicken wire mesh on the ground. The badgers have combated this by digging and crapping all around the edge of the mesh. I don’t see any reason why there is the fascination for this piece of grass verge.

Wasp nest dug out = badgers

Badgers have dug out wasp nests for as long as I can remember. I don’t see badgers around where I live but they do travel a long way from the wood and have dug up the grass verge outside of a house down the road and are using it for a toilet. The householder has combated this by laying chicken wire mesh on the ground. The badgers have combated this by digging and crapping all around the edge of the mesh. I don’t see any reason why there is the fascination for this piece of grass verge.

there are grubs that eat grass roots i cant remember whether they are leatherjackets or cockchafer grubs or something else but they are very similar in size to wasp grubs and badgers love them, a spray with insecticide should shift the grubs and then the badgers will move on elsewhere

If that is the case I have learned something today! :yes::yes:

I honestly can't think of any animal in the UK other than a Badger that would do that? They can wander a fair way, especially if your land has no brock on it - no rivals to keep them away. :good:

Boar?

I'm with the badger brigade though. We never seen badgers, but they clear out the wopst nests every year.