Lack of Woodies in Essex????

blasterjudd

A bumper crop of acorns this year means that large numbers of birds could be in the woods and there still seem to be a lot still in breeding pairs.

We have pigeons sitting on eggs on two nests in our garden at the moment.

Once we get a few cold snaps they will start to flock up.

True enough...but generally milder winters over the last 30 - 40 years, crop grown food stuffs available 24/7/365 means the birds now breed all year round and dont need to flock up to go foraging on mass as they do in hard cold winters.

Theres still millions of pigeons in GB but the really dense concentrations of birds in open arable land are a thing of the past.

If you want to see lots of woodpigeon these days vist your local municipal park or playing field early morning or put some peanuts on the bird table. I guarantee WP will be one of the first birds to come calling

A bumper crop of acorns this year means that large numbers of birds could be in the woods and there still seem to be a lot in breeding pairs.

We have pigeons sitting on eggs on two nests in our garden at the moment.

Once we get a few cold snaps they will start to flock up.

The landscape has changed since the 70’s so has the food source, I looked at a 77 acre field with a 65 acre one next to it. Both have been drilled with wheat and only a short track to get your kit on to the field.

Where to start? To echo what Cranfield said, there were lots of birds as I pulled on the farm just feeding around the oak trees.

The set-aside is a good thing but only serves to reduce the area to shoot. What would be nice if the farms could work out a system for their shooters….

True enough...but generally milder winters over the last 30 - 40 years, crop grown food stuffs available 24/7/365 means the birds now breed all year round and dont need to flock up to go foraging on mass as they do in hard cold winters.

Theres still millions of pigeons in GB but the really dense concentrations of birds in open arable land are a thing of the past.

If you want to see lots of woodpigeon these days vist your local municipal park or playing field early morning or put some peanuts on the bird table. I guarantee WP will be one of the first birds to come calling

Shooting on a barley stubble close to home on weds, there were some massive flocks around. I disagree with your comment about dense concentrations on arable ground. I agree there are a lot of pigeons in parks etc, but i have not seen any shortage of birds in the Norfolk/Cambridgeshire area that i shoot. Getting on terms with them is another matter.

They seem to have vanished around me in saxlinham-norwich had a load about early sep so i took a day of to go decoying and could i find a blooody wood pigeon..

early mornings on the acorns seems a good bet here but there are soo many acorns about they seem to fly off one spot over to the next crop of trees..

havent seen any on the rape yet.

i find that one year on a particular farm we shoot, produces some 600 plus birds then year after probably 250 or so, same pattern on another farm 800 one year then 150 next. one place is regular as clock work 600 plus every year without fail for last 10 years.

just an example how unpredictable they are from one year to the next, and to what fish mike says about not seeing huge flocks on arable land, i have seen 1000 plus flocks through the summer months let alone winter.

Edited by yickdaz