browning maxus jamming

swindon

hi there, picked up a brand new maxus 3 1/2 chamber yesterday. it jammed every shot, tried 30g,28g carts in a variety of makes, but no good. took it back to the shop and was told that there was nothing wrong to look at and they are sending it back to browning.

no offer of replacing the carts i used when asked, or the cost of the clays.

shot 100 carts and had to manually eject every one.

anyone else had a problem with them?

was so disapointed with the gun and the dealer.

Nobody ever made anything were every single one was totally fault free. Its not normal for these to be unreliable, its probebly something very simple- sounds daft but even fitting the piston upside down in the shop when the gun was assembled could do this. As for the dealer if he didn't even ask if you wanted to borrow something off his rack while the gun was away- Don't shop there again, the cartridges you used would have been fired or still live i don't get what is there to replace and i doubt many would offer to replace the clays just like if it failed you on a driven day they aint gonna fork out for that either IMO. You are entitled to repair OR money back on the gun though i think it fair they have a chance to send it for sorting at Browning initially there a nice gun after all and a second batch of malfunctions you still have the refund option as its only Browning engineers who have fiddled

Ive had mine about 6 months, ive put about 1000 cartridges and had about 5 jams. I dont know if this is good or bad as ive never had a semi before.

Before i bought mine i read up on which semi to get and after much pondering and research i chose the maxus as jams were never heard of apparntley????

and was told that there was nothing wrong to look at and they are sending it back to browning.

meant in the least inflamatory way possible, do you think the dealer who probably only made 50-100 pounds on the gun should be out of pocket because browning had a fault with their manufacture?

he is going to send it back to browning and no doubt get it sorted for you, what more would you expect?

do you think the dealer who probably only made 50-100 pounds on the gun should be out of pocket because browning had a fault with their manufacture?

he is going to send it back to browning and no doubt get it sorted for you, what more would you expect?

Dealers buy them in at around the £600 mark............ what are they priced at on the shelf now .... about a £1000!

hi there, picked up a brand new maxus 3 1/2 chamber yesterday. it jammed every shot, tried 30g,28g carts in a variety of makes, but no good. took it back to the shop and was told that there was nothing wrong to look at and they are sending it back to browning.

Ive had mine about 6 months, ive put about 1000 cartridges and had about 5 jams. I dont know if this is good or bad as ive never had a semi before.

Before i bought mine i read up on which semi to get and after much pondering and research i chose the maxus as jams were never heard of apparntley????

Should have bought a Winchester SX3, Cheaper and much better ;) ;) ;)

Dealers buy them in at around the £600 mark............ what are they priced at on the shelf now .... about a £1000!

Chris, i have an account with BWM and they are more than £600 dont forget that £200 of the £1000 is VAT so goes straight to the govt.

Edited by danimal

I don't think I would have actually got to shoot 100 cartridges if every one jammed, I think my patience would have run out long before that. Some of the 3 1/2" magnums are not designed to shoot 28g and it states this in some of the Shotgun Manuals. But it should cycle 30g. Could be a gas ring problem.

hi there,were the cartridges you used 70mm as they do tend to jam on 65 and 67mm cartridges

meant in the least inflamatory way possible, do you think the dealer who probably only made 50-100 pounds on the gun should be out of pocket because browning had a fault with their manufacture?

I was surprised, as i have spent over £5000 with this particular shop and thought, they could have offered the replacement cartridges as a gesture of goodwill. Still, once fixed, i will take my business elsewhere.

hi there,were the cartridges you used 70mm as they do tend to jam on 65 and 67mm cartridges

tried 70mm and there was no difference. i did have a beretta, never had any issue with it in over a year, wish i had kept it now....

Did you give it a good clean before using it and lightly oil the magazine tube (where the gas piston fits) and the rails the bolt slides on? If you just used it straight from the shop and it was new it could have been gunged up with shipping grease.

to be honest, i didnt do anything to it at all, the chap in the shop said it was ready to go. but i see your point, thank you for that.

I've owned a Maxus grd 3 for over a year now and It's never jammed once using many different shell weights, I shoot clays and game with it and I only give it a major clear one in 4 outings other than that it gets snaked and a wipe with a silicone cloth, in a major clean it get's stripped and every part cleaned with spray break cleaner and rebuilt with a light mist of Hoppe's dry lube than a rebuild and a wipe with the silicone cloth and stored barrel down.

:good:

The advice to give the internals of the gun a proper clean is good - I bought a Maxus Pr Gd3 last year and cleaned it before taking it out for the 1st time - Browning had coated all the internals with a dark sticky almost dry metal preservative.

I only put about 500 carts through the gun - the dealer (Rugby Gun shop) recommended a slab of 28gr carts to 'run it in' and thereafter I used 24gr without a single jam. Sold it as I found all the clunking of the action cycling the shells distracting (I only shoot clays though). I would say however that the Maxus is a beautifully engineered gun with many thoughtful design features too.

I am not sure if the Maxis has the same gas system set up as the Browning Silver/Gold and SX3 but I do know for a fact that some have issues and are a bit finicky. The piston spring has been known to fatigue and sometimes break and each failing has it's own consequence. I replaced the piston spring on mine with a sleeve (Sure Cycle Products-on the net) and also replaced the action spring. I use Break Free CLP on the action rail inside the receiver and just a little bit on a Q tip is all it takes. Too much lube is an autoloaders worst nightmare. I would not go so far as to say this combination is 100% reliable but I haven't cleaned it in the last 3-400 shells (outside of wiping the gas tube off and the barrel/ receiver) and it never has a problem as long as the velocity is 1150 or higher.