243 and Deer

wymberley

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

OK, Guys, one hour up and thanks for your patience. Was just interested to see if anyone knew. However, it seems that either people don't like admitting to a lack of knowledge or there's not actually as many 243 owners as we're lead to believe.

I'm sure every stalker knows the implication of 240. Well, according to George Wallace, the Winchester 243 is actually 236. For the benefit of non stalkers that in effect renders the calibre (England, Wales) legal only for the dinkies - Muntjac, CWD.

OK, Guys, one hour up and thanks for your patience. Was just interested to see if anyone knew. However, it seems that either people don't like admitting to a lack of knowledge or there's not actually as many 243 owners as we're lead to believe.

I'm sure every stalker knows the implication of 240. Well, according to George Wallace, the Winchester 243 is actually 236. For the benefit of non stalkers that in effect renders the calibre (England, Wales) legal only for the dinkies - Muntjac, CWD.

:lol::lol::lol::lol:

Just goes to show you don't need a .243 to knock down a deer, :no::lol::hmm: ....

........perhaps all those I shot with my .243 just laid down and counted to 100!

:lol::good:

Well George Wallace is a ******* retard. Just to prove a point, i measured a 243 bullet. Funnily enough, it's 0.243"

The bullet may measure .243" but the Deer Act says it is illegal to use "Any rifle having a calibre of less than .240 inches or a muzzle energy of less than 2,305 joules (1,700 foot pounds)"

So the bullet is legal, just the rifle firing it is not and it's the rifle that counts under the Act.

So maybe, just maybe George is not such a ******** retard and can actually read, whereas others................................... :hmm:

Just my 2p :rolleyes:

I think you may find that the bullet is actually .244. Unusually, the 243 and I think, but memory could be faulty here, the 30-06, when introduced went against the grain in as much as instead of the pre rifling dimension defining the calibre as is the norm, the post machining dimension was used. This explains the 243 and the 244.

But, hey, what the heck, enjoy!

Edit: My apologies; I stand corrected as the other calibre was not the 30-06 but the 308

Edited by wymberley

If this is the case why hasn’t any government picked up on it and altered the requirements? I’ll have to get the vernier out and measure the bore of the Manlicher My cert states that my 243 can be used for deer stalking and previous certs for a very long time have also stated this.

What is the reason that this person has decided to throw this idea into the ring? How can it possibly help in support of the general shooter to bring up this marginal idea? I thought that this guy was supposed to be on our side.

Didn’t he used to be with basc. “Say no more”.

I measured the bullet using my verniers, and it was .243. I didn't check zero beforehand, so it could have been one thou out. Either way this George Wallace is talking rubbish.

Shall we leave it here before someone argues the Moon categorically is made of cheese and it's illegal to go outside when it's raining?!

Maybe Mr George Wallace should look at the Home office Guidelines, paying particular attention to the chart of "Acceptable Calibres" in section 13! They say a .243 is acceptable for deer in England and that is perfectly good enough for me.

Idiots like him that are trying to get texchnical but end up talking out of their back sides only serve to confuse people!

I measured the bullet using my verniers, and it was .243. I didn't check zero beforehand, so it could have been one thou out. Either way this George Wallace is talking rubbish.

Shall we leave it here before someone argues the Moon categorically is made of cheese and it's illegal to go outside when it's raining?!

and thats the truth, just some smart **** trying to make a name for himself,

He started out having a bit of a rant about the correct definition of calibre and about bullets not being "heads" or even "bullet heads" etc.

How ironic that he then went on to talk about muzzle energy measured in ft/lb.

If you are going to write an article that seemed to be based on nit picking, technicalities and pedantry - you should try and avoid schoolboy errors like that.

A poor article in my opinion.