Fixed Choke??

ssjpiv

Hi Guys,

Just in the process of looking to purchase a new gun. I have been using a Lanber field and i am now looking at purchasing a 2003 Silver Pigeon S.

The only issue that I am struggling to get my head round is the chokes, multi on the Lanber and fixed at 1/4 & 1/2 on the Berretta. Will i regret this or am I thinking about it all alittle too much ( i never once changed the chokes on the Lanber!!) My main shooting is rough,decoying and the occasional clay.

Also the above mentioned gun I can get for £1000, its in nice condition but as I say a 2003 model. Would anyone rekon I would be better punting an extra £300 in and getting a new Silver Pigeon 1 multi?

Thanks in advance.

No no no no no!

The borings of any choke are no more than a nominal dimension. Spend far less than the £300 on a few different boxes of cartridges and stick with the one which suits you/the gun/the quarry/target best.

Agree with the above :yes: A multi-choke will have you fumbling around, questioning choke choices for this bird amd that and generally rock your confidence imho :yes: 1/4 and 1/2 is perfect. In any case if you want to, you can use the selective trigger to change between the two :good: £1000 sounds a little on the high side for an 8+ year old though. If its fixed choke, I would be expecting to pay £700-£850 for a minter :yes:

Agree with the above, 1/4 and 1/2 are ideal for your shooting needs. Just sort out a cartridge that gives the sorrt of patterns that you want, because as stated what is one thing withone cartridge, will be another with a different cartridge. I also agree that it's a little on the expensive side for the age, although I would have even maybe gone to 900.00 for a minter, but that's your choice again :good:

No no no no no!

The borings of any choke are no more than a nominal dimension. Spend far less than the £300 on a few different boxes of cartridges and stick with the one which suits you/the gun/the quarry/target best.

Ditto the above - nothing wrong with 1/4 & 1/2 - stand you in good stead for all types of shooting. it's all in the mind! :D

Ditto the above - nothing wrong with 1/4 & 1/2 - stand you in good stead for all types of shooting. it's all in the mind! :D

I completely agree with the above. You'd be surprised how many gunshops, get guns in with chokes stuck in, because they've never been removed before.

Buy the beretta.At 8 yrs old would aim to haggle a bit off £1000.

Multi-choked guns end up being left with same tubes in and 1/4 & 1/2 good enough for anything you want to shoot....wont have the aggro of removing/cleaning threads etc...which is an overrated pastime!

If you're keeping the Lanber you can fiddle with that one's chokes if you are so inclined!

Completely agree with the above. I had a silver pigeon 3 and never changed the chokes from half and quarter. Now I have a Browning maxus and the only choke I use is half when rough shooting and I may change it to quarter if sitting in a hide. I sold my SP3 for £1350 to a dealer who swapped it for my maxus grade 3 and 750 cartridges which I was more than happy with. If you buy from a gun shop you must keep in mind that he has to buy guns and them make some profit or his business will fail. The £1k price seems a bit steep. You should be able to get one cheaper privately but you have to weigh up the service you will get after the sale and also the warranty. Will he throw a gun fitting in and adjust the stock to suit you? Berretta are a good brand and hold their prices well. Good luck which ever way you decide to go :good:

I think you are being mugged of with your new gun. Lanbers are good half decent guns. Considered one myself. However I have just bought a Beretta Silver Pigeon S 30" multi Choke, with the plastic Beretta box, 5 chokes, the choke key, handbook ect. Not mint, but in very very good condition, for £750. Keep the money ready, and await something to come up infront of you. The same with scopes (if your a rifle shooter). However, all the best with what you do.

I agree with everyone here. Multi chokes are great to play around with on the clay ground and can help your scores.That say may son went through a stage of changing choke every stand and since he decide 1/2 and 1/2 his scores have improved.less to think about. However in the field you can't sit and change chokes as a pigeon flies across,all that said £1,000 seems high in view of the fact Avalon Guns are advertising new ones for £1,295. But you pay your money and take your choice, but on the positive side you can always sell on a Browning or Beretta if it doesn't suit.

• 4 weeks later...
Guest cookoff013

multi chokes are to increase the versatility of the sporter shotgun.

having fixed chokes are fine too.

but shooting skeet on extrafull is a major disadvantage, and so is shooting a set of cylinders on a fitask (sp) course.

i tend to stick with tighter chokes anyway and have had good results with my cyl / cyl skeet set.

the multichoke will have a better resale and versatility incase you want skeet one weekend then sporting the next.

my miroku mk38 is fixed at 1/4 3/4 so have to stick with it i used to use 1/4 1/2 all the time for clays and game, shot the miroku for 5 years now and got used to having the tighter choke in it, and actually prefer that bit extra being able to kill long targets cleanly gives you confidence, also shot a few straight rounds of skeet with it too.