money investment

billytheghillie

my better half came into a few quid, just into double figures, question is where is the best place to invest it, bank, building society etc. thanks in advance. and no she will not let me invest it in a new gun :no:

Not a lot of places give a good return on savings at the moment,if you have enough to buy a bit of gold,then i would say that's your best bet at the moment,especially with europe imploding.

Silver is worth buying a bit of at the moment :good:

Or just buy premium bonds, always a chance of the million jackpot.

first and foremost must be an cash ISA which are tax free,then probly one year bonds ,tying your money up for longer gets you abetter rate,look into bonds from the post office mate

First and foremost is always pay of debits (if you have them).

TBH, with current rates, chances etc, I would say go out and enjoy yourselves, good meal etc.

I am all for saving (its not going to make you a million, unless you spend it all on scratch cards), but sometimes, enjoy yourselves.

I am a big fan of premium bonds, but rates (chance) of winning is very slim. I just see it as a savings pot.

Premium bonds used to be very good - then interest rates dropped to Bee all so people put their money in Premium Bonds - I think you will find odds of winning the £1m is much greater than lottery -- I would agree with silver except !!!! if it's bars you pay 20% Vat on it - same as every precious metal except gold.

Look around for Instant access internet saver - over 3% if none tax payer - but in this day and age savers are S h a t on from a great height.

dave

Get the best possible price from a gun dealer for lets say 8 new silver pigeons and a couple of gun safes and buy and leave them totally untouched and unfired in their plastic beretta boxes for 10 years. I bet you with the rising metal prices you will make a profit on the guns and the safes. Alternatively just buy a pile of gun safes and leave em mint. You cant lose can you!

Or buy 10k worth of copper pipe or lead if youve got storage space

Edited by unapalomablanca

my better half came into a few quid, just into double figures,

Get the best possible price from a gun dealer for lets say 8 new silver pigeons and a couple of gun safes and buy and leave them totally untouched and unfired in their plastic beretta boxes for 10 years. I bet you with the rising metal prices you will make a profit on the guns and the safes. Alternatively just buy a pile of gun safes and leave em mint. You cant lose can you!

Or buy 10k worth of copper pipe or lead if youve got storage space

Do you know what double figures means? Its is only about £100, not £10,000 :hmm:

SXX - Sirius minerals, going to get a good return by the end of this week. Got in at 20p per share 2 weeks ago, now sitting at 32p, set to go north still!

Gibby

I recon the rise is based on a tip in one of the 'penny shares' publications and is being ramped up by people on a typical 'pump and dump' ploy. I could be wrong but would't be surprised to see it back at 10p where it was trading for ages. It rose at exactly the same time last year and fell back after New Year

AVB - of course we're seeing the day traders doing their pumping and dumping. However, results are set to be released at the end of the month on the thickness and quality of the potash, said to be 19m thick when previous releases only stated 4m. I'm backing this one to the hilt as it's seen me a 60% growth in a fortnight. It'll get to the price that I'll be happy with and then I'll take my slice.

Isn't that insider dealing?

Unless gibby is a designated 'insider' then no it isn't. If he, for example, works for Sirus Minerals and is privy to information that is not in the public domain then he would be designated an 'insider' and if he was trading on that information then he would be 'insider trading' and be commiting a criminal offence. If, however, he is just reacting to information or rumour in the public domain then then it isn't insider trading. Just because he knows something that you or I don't doesn't make it insider trading.

As has been said Premium bonds or buy some gold but for gods sake do not give it to those thieving Banks they will give you 2% interest whilst charging borrowers 20% also the cost of living is going up by 4% + so you are on a looser from the start with them.

Oh come on don't exaggerate. Yes you can get 2% from a Bank. How much are they charging you for your mortgage? 4%. How much for an unsecured loan 7-8%? Where does 20% come from?

The problem is that the OP hasn't said what his risk appetite is? Does he want to take any risk to his capital? If so a punt on a particular equity (why not SXX that Gibby recommended) or gold. But for now risk then you are limited to savings.

I have a fair bit stuck in Premium Bonds at the moment and am seeing a decent return. Probably 7-10%. However that is probably luck as the published return is only 1% I think (or less).

Nail on the head by AVB - what do you want the risk / return to be. You've got it for nothing so is it worth a punt with it? Or do you have a particular plan you want to use it for? Now I only put in to shares what I can afford to lose but most importantly I know my exit strategy, what I want my return to be and that will do nicely.

Pigeonblasterian, you've done very well then indeed!

Gibby