ringed goose

big bad lindz

As per the topic and description.

How many ringed geese are shot by PW members.

I brought one down yesterday while decoying over stubble.

I know that there are many wildfowlers out there both shooting on the shore and inland who have never shot a ringed bird. I am sure there some who may have but not reported it? This is only my 4th season at wildfowling and I have now had two greylags with rings. The one I shot yesterday not only had a leg ring but also a neck ring. I sent the information away from the rings to the BTO to find out where the birds were ringed etc. so I will be looking foward to get the information.

If it was like the first one I nabbed 2 years ago it was ringed only 60 miles away in north west Sutherland. Hopefully this one may have traveled a bit further.

BBL

Not a great many geese are ringed now so to get one is unusual. I think some of the rersdent greys in the north of Scotland are rung as part of an ongoing monitoring programme. I've never shot a rung goose although I have accounted for a mallard and a teal with rings. I also saw two rung wigeon hung in a gamelarder after an inland flight, nobody had noticed they were rung, only two wigeon in there, both rung, one at Inver Bay near yourself and the other on the Lower Derwent in Yorkshire.

ps Why are you shooting geese on stubble when you have all that fantastic forshore to go at ?

pps I use Euring to submit any ring recoveries (google it), it can be found via the BTO website.

i have shot a few ducks over the years with rings on , the one that sticks in my mind was a teal i shot on one of our inland flight ponds many years ago ..it was a american blue beak teal,it came from a mans private collection in holland , i did make contact with him and he was very interested on how far it had come .. he also said he had lost it 3 years previous to me shooting it .....

i have also shot greylag , canadas, with rings on ..

ps Why are you shooting geese on stubble when you have all that fantastic forshore to go at ?

pps I use Euring to submit any ring recoveries (google it), it can be found via the BTO website.

Hi scolopax,

Over stubble I go out with a freind who is in a wheel chair and cannot get access down onto the shore.

( i have sent you a PM with some more info)

I have sent the information away to euroring thanks.

Cheers

BBL

Hi Guys,

I got some info back on the neck ring. It was ringed in Orkney in march 2010 as an adult male. It had been spoted and recorded twice before, both times in Orkney in 2010. So as it flew down the Scottish north east coast just to end up in my frezzer.

Still no information back from the leg ring.

Thanks for those who have replied so far. I am sure there will be more of you out there who have shot a ringed goose or duck but wont say !! :no:

Fowlers keep it close dont we ?? :lol::lol: cant be telling people where we shoot now can we :no:

Cheers,

BBL

i have shot 5 wigeon with rings and 3 greylags with rings. the first goose just had one leg ring, the second had a leg ring and a neck collar and i shot one on saturday morning with the usual metal leg ring and also a plastic leg ring. have to get the info sent off. there were quite a few geese rung on the loch below my house so the rspb and snh could find out if the geese that breed here stay here in the winter or if they go south. i am pretty sure they stay here all year round but i may be wrong, my mate shot 2 in september and i saw one in a park with the same orange neck collar at the weekend so my guess is they stay here all year.

• 2 weeks later...

just got word back about the rung goose i shot last month. this is what was in the email-

This bird was ringed by Wildfowl & Wetlands Trust as age 2nd year , sex male on 17-Mar-2010 at Straiddorn, Down

OS Map reference IJ5066, co-ordinates 54deg 31min N 5deg 41min W.

Colour marks right below knee: WN(9CC)

am i right in thinking that this is in ireland?

just got word back about the rung goose i shot last month. this is what was in the email-

This bird was ringed by Wildfowl & Wetlands Trust as age 2nd year , sex male on 17-Mar-2010 at Straiddorn, Down

Yes that is in Northern Ireland near Newtownards, always interesting to get this information back. As far as I am aware the rings have to be posted to get the information, but the turnaround time is usually within a couple of weeks. At 8 1/2 years that mallard was a very good age!

certainly looks like it is from Northern Ireland, probably strangford lough of there's about by the looks of it.

Hi Guys.

Again thanks for your input. :good:

Below is the reply that I got back yesterday from the BTO.

And for CZ, There is a data base of sorts but just go onto the BTO web site and follow the links for recording the bird ring number. It takes a wee while for them to get back to you but they will do it. You dont have to send the ring back I am starting a collection (2 off) :lol: so at some stage I can tie them onto my calls like our brothers over the pond do :no:

Cheers,

BBL

Thank you for taking the time to report to us details of a bird ring you found. Information about this bird and its movements is given below.

Ringing Scheme: London Ring Number: 5257355 Species of bird: Greylag Goose

This bird was ringed by Orkney RG as age at least 2 years, sex male on 20-Mar-2010 at Binscarth, Firth, Orkney

OS Map reference HY3414, co-ordinates 59deg 0min N 3deg 9min W.

Colour marks neck collar: ON(HHL)

It was found on 21-Nov-2011 at Achavandra Muir, near Dornoch, Highland

OS Map reference NH7793, co-ordinates 57deg 54min N 4deg 5min W.

The bird was Freshly dead Shot

Remarks

It was found 611 days after it was ringed, 134 km from the ringing site, direction SSW.

As far as I am aware the rings have to be posted to get the information, but the turnaround time is usually within a couple of weeks. At 8 1/2 years that mallard was a very good age!

Thanks! Yeah I was surprised by that one. It makes you wonder how old some of the geese out there must be if a duck can last at least 8 1/2 yrs! It certainly beats a broiler chicken which gets the chop at 44 days old!

And for CZ, There is a data base of sorts but just go onto the BTO web site and follow the links for recording the bird ring number. It takes a wee while for them to get back to you but they will do it. You dont have to send the ring back I am starting a collection (2 off) :lol: so at some stage I can tie them onto my calls like our brothers over the pond do :no:

Cheers,

BBL

Thanks for that! There's a couple of odd ones in the house which have been sent off but I've forgotten what's what. Don't really want to email again and waste their time :/

Seems to be that geese are ringed less than ducks? It's a shame as its always interesting to find something out about them!

Thanks! Yeah I was surprised by that one. It makes you wonder how old some of the geese out there must be if a duck can last at least 8 1/2 yrs! It certainly beats a broiler chicken which gets the chop at 44 days old!

I'm fairly certain that an old wash wildfowler nursed a winged pinkfoot back to health and it lived over 30 years.

• 2 months later...

Hi Guys,

I got some info back on the neck ring. It was ringed in Orkney in march 2010 as an adult male. It had been spoted and recorded twice before, both times in Orkney in 2010. So as it flew down the Scottish north east coast just to end up in my frezzer.

Still no information back from the leg ring.

Thanks for those who have replied so far. I am sure there will be more of you out there who have shot a ringed goose or duck but wont say !! :no:

Fowlers keep it close dont we ?? :lol::lol: cant be telling people where we shoot now can we :no:

Cheers,

BBL

Hello BBL a bit late on this one! your goose ringed in Orkney ! umm Stacks of them ringed up here in Orkney always with orange neck collars & a small leg ring , I pass greylags every day feeding in the fields here with these neck bands & they stick out like dogs balls because of the orange colour & with a good telescope the letters can be read , thats the idea of them .

We shoot a few most years here & in the interest of reserch I all ways drop them into the RSPB office in Stromness & they will give you a print out there of all the places that goose has been recorded . The last one I took in to them had not been far but had been recorded in some of the outer isles of Orkney , they also told me that one of the Orkney ringed greylags was recorded in the Norfolk Broads ! .

Incidentally a Greenland White front goose wich had been fitted with a neck band in the Wexford Slobs in South East Ireland was later recorded in the Western Isles of Scotland & later on Isbister loch in Orkney . ATB :rolleyes:

Edited by Pole Star

I have rung thousands of waterfowl and 10 years for mallard teal and wigeon in not unusual. The oldest duck I have had recovered were a pochard and 3 tufted duck that were all 14 years old , but a wigeon ringed in 1962 at Abberton in Essex was shot in th USSR in 1996 34 years later. The oldest goose a mate rung was 23 years old and a guy called Brian Boning at Stalham in Norfolk had a captive greylag that was 42 years old.

Sent a ring from a teal last year, and it was a 4 year old (ringed in its first year) shot just 20km from where it was ringed.

This is all interesting reading chaps but I would like to add that it is sad as to how many wild fowlers dont report their rings & just keep them as trophies & interesting items of coversation ! , why ? you can still keep the ring but atleast send in the number to the BTO & if you think about it if you get a print out from them as to the birds travels your ring will have many more times the conservation value . Not to mention all the benefits it will give to wild fowl research wich the right minded fowlers care about . Lastly make sure all the information you give them is correct ie date & place & location . Note the people who band these birds go to a lot of trouble to do this so please help them out . :thanks: