Had a small problem

Well i was out shooting today, when i caught a quick glance of a fox about 30 yards away. I quickly put a 50g 3" Express Max Game BB cartridge into my semi auto, and the fox finally came in to my sight at about 20 yards.

This was when my trouble started.

I pulled the trigger and i felt the recoil from the cartridge, but noticed there was no bang made by the gun. I noticed that the fox had been hid as it twisted but was running strongly (but i knew my dad was at the other side of the field and he had a clear shot at it). I was going to give the fox another shot but noticed just before pulling the trigger that the gun hadn't cycled the next cartridge into the chamber and the fired cartridge hadn't been ejected. I then went to inspect what had happened as i knew that a 50g BB cartridge would have dropped a fox like a sack of **** at 20 yards. I noticed that the plastic WAD from inside the cartridge was stuck inside the barrel just behind the choke, but i have no idea how it happened, as i've shot plenty of these cartridge's from the same gun and the same choke without any problems and if i had fired another cartridge through the gun, i would have no barrel left or i possibly wouldn't be standing/writing this now

So my question to you is, what may have caused this to happen???

Edited by Simon123

it could just be that express max game are, IMO, s###e. me and a few of us have tried them on geese here in shetland where we can use lead, and we all think they are rubbish. geese 20-25 yards up you can hear the pellets hitting the birds but they dont drop and any geese that did drop had to have their necks wrung which is not what you want. my friend had a simmilar thing happen to him, he fired at geese directly above him with a max game BB, ther was a pop and the pellets just made it out the barrel and fell back and hit him in the face :blink: :blink: :blink:, he had to take his sx3 to bits to get the spent shell out of the chamber as the skirt on the wad was melted by the powder and glued itself to the crimped end of the shell. i can honestly say i wouldn't take express max game out to shoot at live quarry. i get on well with the express 2 3/4" shells but not the 3" stuff. this is just my opinion, please dont slate me for it, there are pw members that seem to get on well with them, i use gamebore mammoth 50gr 3's for decoyed geese or RC 50gr BB's for pass shooting and they are much harder hitting than the express.

Edited by aister

This is the reason why I will never own a semi auto. I just dont like them!

There's nothing wrong with semi autos, they wont cycle the next cartridge if there wasn't enough pressure to clear the first shot. I've had the same thing happen with a 20g silver pigeon and it would have been just as easy to put another round down that too without checking.

it could just be that express max game are, IMO, s###e. me and a few of us have tried them on geese here in shetland where we can use lead, and we all think they are rubbish. geese 20-25 yards up you can hear the pellets hitting the birds but they dont drop and any geese that did drop had to have their necks wrung which is not what you want.

Hi Aister, instead of wringin the necks of wounded birds why don't you carry a priest and hit them on the back of the head which would dispatch of them cleanly and quickly and not mark your birds :good:

Had similar experience at clay shoot, plas wad jammed just infront of chamber. As I load my own I knew right aweay what the problem was.....no powder,the primer was sufficient to eject the shot about 3 feet but wad stayed in. If it does not sound or feel right check and double check.....happy foxing. :good:

it could just be that express max game are, IMO, s###e. me and a few of us have tried them on geese here in shetland where we can use lead, and we all think they are rubbish........

I disagree, I`ve shot geese with them for years and they drop OK and with all things legal, I have taken roe with them.