Mrs has told me what I'm getting for Xmas

Cosd

The wife has told me she was going to buy me a Barbour jacket for Xmas, but thought she'd tell me in case I wanted to choose it myself.

Want something to wear out and about not necessarily for shooting, something smart/casual to go with a pair of jeans and t-shirt or shirt, but also something that wouldn't look out of place if I was out on a shoot. Is that too much of an ask?

The missus was looking at getting me one of the quilted design jackets in black, but I quite like some of the wax type jackets.

Any recommendations? Also any recommendations for retailers who keep a decent range, not just Barbour. Budget is £250'ish

I swear by my Barbour jackets , Got 3 of them .

Got a DPM Cowan commando , A Bouder and a Belfont . All waxed cotton . If I was pushed to own just the one , Id have to go with the Belfont .

Hard wearing , well designed and made , not cheap . But , with a little care and a reproofing once a year with last a lifetime .

Money well spent , not a statement I make likely , what with me being half Scottish!!

Hope this helps .

All the very best fellas

Andy .

I got the padded jacket and its great no signs of wear and I wear it almost everyday for everything, I always go to Freeport in Braintree (not too far from you) for Barbour stuff as they have a decent outlet store there. Also one of the only shopping villages I can go to with my other half that does not make me want to drive off a bridge on the way to it.

try a Musto clay shooting jacket in either Navy or Green, they can be got in light or heavy weight,I've one of each and I highly recommend them for comfort and practicality, John Norris has them at brilliant prices at the minute Even cheaper than you can pick them up on the bay and a 1/3 of the price of a good Barbour coat :good:

I have a barbour wax cotton jacket and its been roughly treated but is a soulmate - wouldn't call it smart casual now probably best used for Ack-Acks Dab off (see elsewhere).

They do have a certain "Je ne sais quoi", but are generally cold, if windproof, without detachable lining.

I like Musto for quality but a bit pricy. Cant really go wrong with either but buy on the interwebbything for best value.

Thanks for all the replies so far guys, will get on the web later to look some of the recommendations up when I get home tonight.

Any of the local'ish members recommend anywhere with a good selection to try some on, even if I may not buy from there ;)

Cos

The wife has told me she was going to buy me a Barbour jacket for Xmas, but thought she'd tell me in case I wanted to choose it myself.

Want something to wear out and about not necessarily for shooting, something smart/casual to go with a pair of jeans and t-shirt or shirt, but also something that wouldn't look out of place if I was out on a shoot. Is that too much of an ask?

The missus was looking at getting me one of the quilted design jackets in black, but I quite like some of the wax type jackets.

Any recommendations? Also any recommendations for retailers who keep a decent range, not just Barbour. Budget is £250'ish

This is my staple winter jacket http://www.barbourbymail.co.uk/Barbour-Bushman-Jacket.html

Haven't worn it shooting, but that's 'cause I have other jackets for that.

Edited to add: I've never used that web site before, so no idea if it's good or not - it just seemed to have a good pic of the jacket.

Edited by Piebob

This is my staple winter jacket http://www.barbourbymail.co.uk/Barbour-Bushman-Jacket.html

Haven't worn it shooting, but that's 'cause I have other jackets for that.

Quite like that 👍

Edited to add: I've never used that web site before, so no idea if it's good or not - it just seemed to have a good pic of the jacket.

Hmm, waxed cotton. Essentially a nineteenth century method of making a garment water resistant. Take a porous cotton fabric and liberally smear it with grease to fill up the holes which then comes off on car seats, guns and anything else you touch.

Stiff when cold and clammy when warm since it cannot "breath". Prone to excessive wear at stress points,lacking any warmth in cold weather and possessed of a truly useless hood, I really do wonder why people still buy them.

There is some truth in the fact that they last a long time. A long time during which you have to continue to wear a jacket that lets in the water and the cold and ends up stinking to high heaven.

You`ve guessed it, I don`t like `em.

Some of the other non wax stuff in the Barbour range is very good quality if extremely expensive.

Hmm, waxed cotton. Essentially a nineteenth century method of making a garment water resistant. Take a porous cotton fabric and liberally smear it with grease to fill up the holes which then comes off on car seats, guns and anything else you touch.

Stiff when cold and clammy when warm since it cannot "breath". Prone to excessive wear at stress points,lacking any warmth in cold weather and possessed of a truly useless hood, I really do wonder why people still buy them.

There is some truth in the fact that they last a long time. A long time during which you have to continue to wear a jacket that lets in the water and the cold and ends up stinking to high heaven.

Some of the other non wax stuff in the Barbour range is very good quality if extremely expensive.

100% agree - hate the ******* things! as for spending £250'ish on one :blink: must be stark raving :lol:

I would go for a nice Schoffel jacket if you want to spend a lump - I have a ptarmigan, expensive but really well made and looks the part when out and about or shooting :good:

There are a few plus sides as well!!

There's an outlet store in Portsmouth , and you can pick Barbour Bourder jackets for £80 .

They are well designed , great for shooters , hard wearing and very comfortable .

Really well made , will last a lifetime if looked after and of course , thorn proof .

I've got jackets that are just as costly ($200!) but find I end up taking a Barbour with me .most of the time .

I find that most of the smell that people complain about comes from the jacket not being aired after use .

I wear mine (any one of the few that I own) at work , shooting at the range , hunting in the field , hiking , camping , going to the shops etc....

Even got a few pairs of Barbour waxed cotton over trouser , Barbour gloves , hats , caps , scarfs , body warmers .

However , at the end of the day , it's your money (or in this case , your wife's!) why not try a few different jackets on , and see what your comfortable in?

Hope this helps .

All the very best fellas .

Andy .

Edited by mr who?

But the Queen wears them :huh:

Any waxed Barbour is good, wind/thorn/rain proof. Just make sure you don't get one of those motorcycle jackets that are the new big thing, I keep seeing grown men wearing budgie yellow or purple versions and it makes me wince. Seems like Barbour may be going the same way as Burberry did.