I wouldnt go into the field without...

demonwolf444

Basically stuck for thinking about things for a christmas present. I think im going to ask for a lazer range finder as i hear they are pretty usefull! And i know people who will "not leave the house without it".

However it got me wondering are there any other bits of equipment you wouldnt go into the field without? aside from the obvious ones, gun, pellets, key to the field ect.

Can we start a list? specifically to air gunning..

Dog, Sharp knife, phone, comfy boots, plastic bag (so if I decide to skin anything in the field it comes home in the game bag hair and dirt free), Shooting sticks and folding foam pad to sit on for the times you have to wait for bunnys to re-emerge, especially in wet weather.

I also like to take 3 FUD decoys on the off-chance there are alot of pigeons about.

Anti-Bacterial hand wash and a Range finder? Where have all the men gone? And as for a rangefinder-I can see the point if you have a rifle capable of killing over ,say,70 yards but with an Airgun?really? Travel light and with the bare essentials my friend.

Too true……..manning up FTW ;)

Just remembered, I also like to take a pocket knife sharpener, flint if I'm planning on making a fire and a zippo with a cigar on a dry day isn't a bad idea either :rolleyes:

List;

Gun

Ammo

Appropriate clothing and footwear

Zippo - Optional

Flint - Optional

Knife and sharpener

Superglue

The KISS principal :good:

Edited by Dr_evil

Anti-Bacterial hand wash and a Range finder? Where have all the men gone? And as for a rangefinder-I can see the point if you have a rifle capable of killing over ,say,70 yards but with an Airgun?really? Travel light and with the bare essentials my friend.

Especially with an air rifle so we can get the most range out of its very curved trajectory :yes:

Anyone unable to judge the difference between point blank and 40 yards(real world effective Airgun range)and increments in between should have gone to spec-savers.Whatever next? Hows about a muzzle flash eliminator.Here's a crazy idea-zero at your normal range then put targets at 5 yard intervals -shoot at the centre and remember the difference in trajectory if sufficient to cause a miss.....Oh,wait a minute,most sensible people already do this :yes:

Anyone unable to judge the difference between point blank and 40 yards(real world effective Airgun range)and increments in between should have gone to spec-savers.Whatever next? Hows about a muzzle flash eliminator.Here's a crazy idea-zero at your normal range then put targets at 5 yard intervals -shoot at the centre and remember the difference in trajectory if sufficient to cause a miss.....Oh,wait a minute,most sensible people already do this :yes:

Using a sub 12 airgun zeroed at the highest point of its trajectory 27yds in .22 it will have dropped something like 4 1/4" by the time it gets to 45yards and every single guessed yard out will have a significant chance of merely wounding because the low energy of an airgun pellet demands a very precise hit to kill cleanly. It's particularly hard to judge range when low down, creeping or sitting waiting for a shot because you lose your depth of field judgement.

The fact that a rangefinder will improve and extend your kill rate is indisputable. It may only increase it by 10yards, but in the world of sub 12 airguns 10yards is a significant gain. I've shot several hundred rabbits this year using an 11fpe S400, a rangefinder and a pair of sticks and I wouldn't want to go shooting without it.

A rangefinder is useful for any rifle when you are trying to extend its effective range and having to allow for the loopy trajectory that they all become subject to at some point.

A headtorch is handy, as is some string. Tie what you get to s stick to carry it and the headtorch saves you from turning on your gunlight to work close up.

Knife to cut the string, gun pellets, spare battery for the IR, spare pellets always kept in biro bodies in the pen pocket of my coat and a £3 anti-mossie headcover in olive green. Small flask is good too. I have taken a camo poncho to lay on, hide under, use if it rains when you are dressed for good weather.

The beauty of an airgun is that you don't have to lug too much around. If you can't fit all your gear in one small shoulder bag or your pockets leave some behind.

Not sure what to make of the rangfinder idea.

Last post on this topic from me Mr sitsinhedges.If,upon arriving for an evenings shooting, you discover that your rangefinder does not work do you go home? If you answer no and that you would continue but only take closer shots-by your own declaration of the vast trajectory curve does this not mean that shooting at any range,other than your chosen zero,is risky and carries a high probability of wounding.There are millions of "must have" accessories out there that dealers are only too glad to flog you-99.9% of which we can all do without.Apologies to OP for straying from your topic. :yes: