The day you left home forever!

unapalomablanca

Aged 16 , and left school on the Wednesday , was in the army the following Monday .

Not really that much of a differance really , was just another load of different people shouting at me , no longer my parents or teachers , just some big hairy NCO's .

Andy .

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

17 and got on the train to start my basic training for The Royal Engineers in blackwater,camberley,waving goodbye to my family.

was very apprehensive,but when i got there,i didn't have time to fa*t let alone be homesick,was one of the best things ever to happen to me,taught me to fend for myself and made me think for myself.

Same here mate. I was the last apprentice intake in 97 when where you there?

Oh ****** hmmm left at 18 and lived in Gibraltar with work, then ended up back at home, met an girl got married and moved out aged 24...got divorced aged 29 and ended up back at home again.

Met another girl, moved in with her in Newcastle...long story short she broke my heart and I ended up back at home again!!!

So...met the current girl for a drink (we used to go to school together) a couple of years ago and left to live together in a cold little one bed flat, we now have our own farm as a part of her family farms business, took me till 34 yrs old to be truly happy!

I owe my parentals everything

Left home at 17 on 16 feb(1998) I was also stood on the platform after getting of my train waiting for the army bus to take me for my basic train for The Royal Engineers. I have just left and bought a house back in my home town

You'd have been at Bassingbourn at the same time as me then. I was there Jan-Apr 98.

My parents left me ! Says something.

I applied for grants and took myself off to Uni and after that I was on my own.

Not something I'd want to repeat but Uni, working holsand all that went with them were special.

By the way Mrs Sweepy, are we getting stingy ? Only 3 X's in your post above, your normal is 4 !

Edited by Kes

After Falling out with my Boss I got Posted to Corby !!!

so i Left Home and my Home Town to buy my First House.

We had a Fiat 126 a travel cot portable telle, mattress, one part of a corner settee, Skinter than a SKint things in Skint season

Dad visited on week Two for a cup of tea , "Sorry Dad No milk", Good old DAD !! he went off to the shop to gather milk, "O nearly forgot we don't have Sugar or Tea bags"

He Laughed !!!

He returned with Digestive biccies too, (bit rich after a week of Peanut butter sarnies)

THEM WERE THE DAYS !

A weeks grub was a Tenner !

August Bank Holiday 1976, not long 21 yrs old. Told my old job to **** off! at the end of July, (had saved a bit)and threw all my things in my old van. Took the next 4 weeks travelling all the rock festivals and camp sites of the UK, meeting up with mates on the way - (what a summer '76 was!) mainly south coast for all the beaches, gigs and gurlz! Finished off at Knebworth for the Floyd concert on the Bank Holiday, then moved into the Hospital residences on the Monday (which was where my education about the opposite sex REALLY started ! :good: ) and started my training. My parents were cool about the whole thing,I always knew I could move back if I was stuck, but never wanted to.

I was 15, and ran away from home because my dad was beating the hell outta me. :( Slept rough on the streets of Edinburgh for a while, travelled (by foot) around Scotland picking up what work I could get on the QT, lying about my age, all cash in hand. Did pretty much anything, washing dishes, cleaning loos, whatever I could, to eat.

Got raped twice, sexually assaulted three times, at no point did I go the police, I knew dad and the family were looking for me, and in those days the police really didn't care overmuch for homeless people.

That was probably too much info, lol...:D

On the plus side, it taught me to be self reliant over the years and to be tough. And my dad wasn't all that bad, he taught me a lot about life, he showed me how to skin, butcher and so on, how to raise livestock, run a croft, and it was he who taught me to tan hides. He also taught me how to poach. :D

He just had a bit of a drink problem. :(

I do think it would probably be a great deal more dangerous for any girl the age I was leaving home like I did today though. Even with all I went through, I do think the 70's felt safer, somehow.

I was 15, and ran away from home because my dad was beating the hell outta me. :( Slept rough on the streets of Edinburgh for a while, travelled (by foot) around Scotland picking up what work I could get on the QT, lying about my age, all cash in hand. Did pretty much anything, washing dishes, cleaning loos, whatever I could, to eat.

Got raped twice, sexually assaulted three times, at no point did I go the police, I knew dad and the family were looking for me, and in those days the police really didn't care overmuch for homeless people.

That was probably too much info, lol...:D

On the plus side, it taught me to be self reliant over the years and to be tough. And my dad wasn't all that bad, he taught me a lot about life, he showed me how to skin, butcher and so on, how to raise livestock, run a croft, and it was he who taught me to tan hides. He also taught me how to poach. :D

He just had a bit of a drink problem. :(

I do think it would probably be a great deal more dangerous for any girl the age I was leaving home like I did today though. Even with all I went through, I do think the 70's felt safer, somehow.

Wow you had it tough. That's a really sad tale but by the sound of it you've come out of the other side to a better place. Huge respect for keeping your self respect and strength of character through all of that. You must be one tough cookie :good:

I got on the train at 16 in January 1981 to Deepcut, but transferred courses after a week and moved to the army apprentices college at Chepstow. I was proper homesick for the first few weeks and nearly jacked it in a few times. It got better after that, so much so that I stuck around for the next 23 years. I left in 2004.

Mates of mine from school were still living with their mums 'till their early 30s :lol: I think that is the saddest thing ever!

I left home on the 13th May 1968 just 4 days after my 17th birthday to join the Army (REME). My childhood wasn't the happiest by any manner or means (I would rather not go into any detail) and this was my way of getting away from it all and making some sort of a future for myself. I can still remember my fathers last words to me on that day - "You should be staying at home and paying your way, as far as I am concerned you are no longer a son of mine"! I saw him on many occasions since then but he passed away some 12 years ago. Yes I went to and cried at his funeral, not because I had any love for him but becuase I never had the chance to ask him why he treated me the way he did.

Some memories never fade and some questions will never be answered. :no::no::no:

left home a few times....once to move in with a lass and then we both moved back as could not afford the place on one wage...then I left again to work abroad..then left again to move 200 miles to be with my lass now.....mortgaged up to the hilts :no: :no: but worth it.

Remember being at home and spending £150-200 a weekend going out...oh how times have changed ... :blink:

19 left my ho,e town of Sheffield to move to Oxford. I had got into a bit of trouble at home and thought that I should probably concentrate on my career a bit more. I got on the train with a rucksack of chefs clothes a few knives and 3 pot noodles and £40. Managed to find myself a room in a shared house with a group of foreign students that was a complete dive no bed or furniture and came with ensuite mice. I slept on the floor and at night I could feel the mice on me in the end I made a circle that would go round me out of tin foil because I had read somewhere mice didn't like walking over it. After being in Oxford for two days managed to get a job in one of Raymond blanks kitchens started as the lowest of the low and worked as hard as I could. On my days off I worked at other places to get more experience and so started a long and painful career. Because of taking that risk with my first move I'm now in a position where I should never be out of work ever again.

Nick

Got married and left home at 21. I was saving up for a lotus elan at the time but funds were diverted to the deposit on a house. This was towards the end of the miners strike and property in the area was cheap as there were so many repossessions.

Started out fairly comfortable - second hand settee, black and white portable TV, second hand kitchen appliances left in the house by the previous owner. None of the DVD, flat screen TV, sky, freezer type stuff that a lot of people expect as an essential today. A year later we both had good promotions and so began the joy of moving house.

25 years on were still together but I do wonder what could have been if I bought the lotus.