soft point bullets on fox's

For general vermin control in my experience you will be fine. I have used 100gn 243 soft points on foxes from 80 - 250m and the results have been clean kills every time. I use this because i reload so they are cheap and i use this for roe and reds and am comfortable with the rifle and POI at these ranges (we are lucky to have 100 - 300 mtr ranges)

We have recently started experimenting with 95 gn ballistic tips, and these appear to have basically the same POI at 100 and 150, ok, within an inch group but quite satisfactory. Not used them ok live targets yet as we need another afternoons playing on paper first but i think this will be our foxing round - saving the 100gn for deer. This works for us.

They will die; may not be as quick/clean/efficient as ballistic tips. They will expand, but they will most probably go straight through; a good backstop is essential.

By he above crazy sounding statement i hope your not linking the need of a good backstop and the type of bullet :o

Quarry are not backstops :angry:

They will die; may not be as quick/clean/efficient as ballistic tips. They will expand, but they will most probably go straight through; a good backstop is essential.

By he above crazy sounding statement i hope your not linking the need of a good backstop and the type of bullet :o

Quarry are not backstops :angry:

I think he meant a good backstop behind the target which IMO is good advice...as a general rule some rounds do pass straight through the target animal and so the surrounding area must be considered for every shot taken, even though the energy maybe all but gone....

You got there first berreta...:good:

Regards,

Gixer

Edited by gixer1

Ok, ill expand the comment.

IN MY OPINION the only good backstop is earth.

Whether its a solid earth bank or shooting into the ground from a high seat, you must think of what your backstop is.

It does read in your origonal statement like your suggesting one bullet type needs a better backstop than the other. Imagine someone reads that and thinks " so i can use varmint bullets safely without a backstop, thats handy" they would be very,very wrong

You will need to establish the best type of bullet/s for your specific land/requirements.

But lets not be silly about this, hit a fox in the right place with a .222 cf bullet of ANY sort, and it's lights out!

+1 :good: good shot placement :yes:

They are absolutely fine, I use 85grn soft points in my .243 and really the damage they do to foxes can border on extreme. Maybe less destructive than vmax but I'm not sure as what you get has an entry and exit whichever angle you shoot it at. Front on it temds to turn everything fron the front to its **** hole to musha

OK away from the other calibres, I have shot .222 for a good few years and sp`s are fine, with the proviso that shot placement is crucial.

I shot one cub which was a chest shot and needed another shot and another,which was just before I got into reloading big time, which was a little further out than I thought (my fault and not the cartridge) and the shot was low and tore the belly out of her and she needed to be dispatched after I found her 20 minutes later.

V-max`s have never needed, apart from a moving fox, another shot and both of the above would have not needed another IMHO if the rounds were V-max(or similar).

As others have said a centre chest shot with any bullet will drop charlie on the spot. I would have no issues using soft points and do actually use Berger match bullets myself in 20 and 6mm with no issues at all. A good backstop is of course essential for all forms of firearms use, soft earth is the best one.

A