Durham shootin?

MM

My thoughts are with everybody affected by all the awfull events I've heard since christmas eve, what the hell has happened this christmas? it's been like a killing frenzy.

Might have more than a bit to do with the pressure from needing to buy presents for people when having no money and/or a stack of debt. Not a great time of year if you're skint.

• Replies 172
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My thoughts are with everybody affected by all the awfull events I've heard since christmas eve, what the hell has happened this christmas? it's been like a killing frenzy.

No disrespect, but the alleged shooter in Salford of the Indian student gave his name as, "Psycho Stapleton" in court. Hmm, he's not going to do himself any favours with that attitude.

What a sad turn of events. My sympathy to any relatives.

Its just too easy for anyone in power(politicians, councillors etc) to turn to the fact that he was a legal gun owner. If he had used his car to kill his victims would they be saying we need to review the licensing process and include a mental stability test to accompany the other 3?

Its not the fork that makes us fat!

I take your point about Bird, but in my opinion a suspended prison sentence for theft is a good reason for concern and I feel that the police should have given him a few more years before allowing him a SGC, never mind FAC.

I feel sorry for the victims, and even more so for their families and friends.

His conviction was over 20 years prior to the killings.

How much longer would you have proposed.

Without sounding too gung ho, Bird had more than "done his time" with regard to his tickets and in his case it was the Flicked Switch problem rather than a Police failing.

I have the utmost sympathy for the persons involved in this latest tragedy but lets not do the Antis work for them with suggestions such as that just made.

If it would stop these killings I would willingly give up my guns.

Sadly, we all know it will not.

We must all however seek to support any dispassionate and objective inquiry into the causes of such incidents and be prepared to meet any obligation for owners which flows from such an inquiry.

My sincerest sympathy to all who have lost loved ones and to anyone close to such a terrible crime.

Would all those tempted to quick condemnation of gun ownership and shooters please remember there are very many of us and we do not kill people simply because we are gun owners or keepers.

If you wish to kill, a person will.

It is not the availability of lawfully held firearms which triggers such a crime, it is something far more personal, individual.

If we could develop a test which properly could identify those who might kill, I would willingly take such a test as a prerequisite to owning firearms.

It would be an unreasonable thing though to suggest that because I hold firearms and have done so since I was eleven that in all those 50+ years I have been a risk, since, in my case, and that of countless others, it simply cannot be true on the available and obvious evidence.

If there is an answer to this we all must look deeper or in a different direction than simply owning a gun.

No disrespect, but the alleged shooter in Salford of the Indian student gave his name as, "Psycho Stapleton" in court. Hmm, he's not going to do himself any favours with that attitude.

No disrespect taken, your point is spot on, I was actually focusing more on the fact most of these events have been stabbings, no amount of gun regulation will prevent stabbings.

BBC News 24 channel just been on -the slot where a guest journalist reviews tomorrows papers.

Obviously this story has made front page on quite a few.

The journalist (John Torode* I think he is called - a Guardian writer if I remember?) just asking the question

"even if he was the most sane person in the world, why does a taxi driver need a licence for six guns in the first place?".

Lets hope his sort don't get too much of an airing.

Edit to add link to the writer.. http://www.battleofideas.org.uk/index.php/2010/speaker_detail/4843/ He was surprisingly difficult to track down on google to say he is a regular on the program.

Edited by HW682

His conviction was over 20 years prior to the killings.

How much longer would you have proposed.

Without sounding too gung ho, Bird had more than "done his time" with regard to his tickets and in his case it was the Flicked Switch problem rather than a Police failing.

I have the utmost sympathy for the persons involved in this latest tragedy but lets not do the Antis work for them with suggestions such as that just made.

He got his FAC in 2007, I thought it was sooner than that, however his SGC he got in 1995, I think that was 4 years after being convicted.

As I understand it, a 3 month or more prison sentence requires a minimum 5 year ban from firearm ownership. The police considered a suspended sentence did not count (I think this has now changed). I also believe he was convicted of drink driving, though I can't find when, and considering this I don't think he should have been issued with a SGC so soon, as that does show irresponsible behaviour. I don't know how many years should pass, I think 20 is enough if nothing else happens in that time, but 4 years? I do think the police did not do their job.

Of course, I'm not saying that if he had applied a couple of years ago he shouldn't have been granted a cert as I don't know enough about him, and even if he hadn't as he clearly did 'flip a switch' I'm sure a knife would have been adequate for him needs.

BBC News 24 channel just been on -the slot where a guest journalist reviews tomorrows papers.

The journalist (John Torode I think he is called - a Guardian writer if I remember?) just asking the question

"even if he was the most sane person in the world, why does a taxi driver need a licence for six guns in the first place?".

I just saw that too and the answer is he " satisfied the liscencing conditions" the other point is it made no difference if he had 6 or 600 he used only 1, part of the reason he potentially had do many was due to the liscencing laws and regional variations .22LR for rabbit .223 fox, .243 deer, a 12g O/U, a . 410 hush power, a 16G SxS for example ( or a 3.5" semi for fowling) I had to explain this all to the missus

Very sad, but where is BASC, I thought they had just built a multi million pound media center to make sure the the beeb and such like don't go on a witch hunt., and to put our point across.

Well it is a bank holiday, but I am sure they are working as hard as they can, and hopefully they can prevent incorrect media assertions but the media only want to sell papers and website hits so if the editor thinks a photo of an AK47 will sell more papers or get more hits they will and the muppetry will eat it all up!

Education of the general populous is the only way to get our view heard

I just saw that too and the answer is he " satisfied the liscencing conditions" the other point is it made no difference if he had 6 or 600 he used only 1, part of the reason he potentially had do many was due to the liscencing laws and regional variations .22LR for rabbit .223 fox, .243 deer, a 12g O/U, a . 410 hush power, a 16G SxS for example ( or a 3.5" semi for fowling) I had to explain this all to the missus

Totally right, 1 or 100 would have made no difference. It just helps to sensationalise the story though when they can quote a higher number.

Very sad, but where is BASC, I thought they had just built a multi million pound media center to make sure the the beeb and such like don't go on a witch hunt., and to put our point across.

I hope they will try to do something, though I don't know what they can do, I suppose they need to be on the TV interviews and so on putting our points across to try to make the public understand that guns provide sport and important pest control, that 'being a taxi driver etc' doesn't mean they can't be held, and that the number of guns is irrelevant.

It is rather difficult when the people who have the loud voices (i.e the media) know nothing about guns whatsoever, and are usually just looking at ways to promote all guns as bad, and just using the terms 'legally held' etc as extra ways of making it all sound bad.

The public seem very happy to just lap it all up.

The journalist (John Torode* I think he is called - a Guardian writer if I remember?) just asking the question

Edit to add link to the writer.. http://www.battleofideas.org.uk/index.php/2010/speaker_detail/4843/ He was surprisingly difficult to track down on google to say he is a regular on the program.

I saw that too, the media really seem determined to stir up a ****storm around this. What really annoys me is that if these killings had been committed with a kitchen knife (which sadly does happen all too often), it would not recieve anywhere near the amount of media coverage. :angry:

Anyway, my sincere condolences to the family and friends.

and thats part of the problems FAC/SGC holders face with the public.

I feel sorry for the innocent in all this :no: :no:

CA have been quoted by the BEEB...

And having read the coverage on the express site I can only think they let the s dozy girlfriend write the coverage after she had watched Rambi.....

Edited by HDAV

Did the police do enough in this case? could this have been prevented? they are the lmain questions that need asking. I know that the fault lies with the shooter, but could things have been different? We are subject to such strict rulings, so why do the loons still get through?

Dear All,

Yes it is very sad indeed.

Of course we are on top of this - regardless of the Bank Holiday.

Our regional teams in the North and Midlands are giving live interviews to local media today; our national media team are dealing with the national press and media.

Until the reports come out from the police investigation it will be wrong to draw any hypothetical conclusions.

We will be calling for calm and no knee jerk reaction

Regards

David

What will be the likely upshot of Durham Police putting themselves before the IPCC??

Especially for those of us who have just put applications in??

Are BASC really gonna condemn the police for not taking appropriate action, if it transpires that that is the case?