Durham shootin?

MM

Will be interesting if the toxicology reports are released... sounds very plausibly like the actions of a drunk...

I can't believe anyone would be stupid enough to leave firearms in a car overnight unless absolutely unavoidable!

Edited by Vipa

• Replies 172
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just a paste and copy but it does seem to shed some light on the matter....I would call for the ban on drinking first as this seems to be what fueled the killings...and as for keeping the shotgun in the car.... not a responsible owner by any stretch of the imagination..think the police obviously got this guy very wrong

A man who shot his partner and two other relatives before killing himself was not depressed, the detective leading the murder inquiry has said.

Taxi driver Michael Atherton, 42, blasted Susan McGoldrick, 47, her sister Alison Turnbull, 44, and her daughter Tanya Turnbull, 24, on New Year's Day at his home in Horden, Peterlee, County Durham.

Detective Superintendent Paul Goundry, speaking to reporters after inquests were briefly opened, said: "We have spoken to health professionals and his own GP and there is no indication from any witness that he was suffering from any mental illness or depression."

Police did not believe Mr Atherton pre-planned the murders, which followed "a relatively trivial family argument". Mr Goundry said: "Michael had been out to a local club and returned home soon after 10.30pm. Susan had been out with Alison and Tanya with other friends having a drink.

"Susan came back and soon after an argument started of a minor nature. Michael then left the back of the house and went to his vehicle where it appears he retrieved a shotgun. He went back in the house and within seconds he had killed the family."

The shootings were not premeditated because he had made an arrangement with a friend to hunt rabbits the following day.

Mrs McGoldrick's daughter from a previous relationship Laura, 19, was hit by the spray of shot aimed at her mother. She ran upstairs and escaped through a window with her boyfriend.

Mr Atherton and Mrs McGoldrick's son Michael junior heard shooting and ran outside. A middle-aged friend of the women who was in the house at the time also walked out to safety.

Mr Goundry said: "Laura and Michael junior and all the family members are fully supportive of the police investigation and like us, all they want to know is why their father committed this heinous crime."

Coroner Andrew Tweddle opened inquests at Chester-le-Street Magistrates' Court, where he confirmed the names of the dead, their ages, when they died and the likely cause of death, which was gunshot wounds. He allowed their bodies to be released so funerals can take place.

Edited by PWD

:blink: Getting the gun out of the cabinet and putting it in a slip on the bedroom floor the night before going shooting is naughty enough, but putting it in your car the night before and then leaving the house to go out on the sauce!? :no:

Sounds like someone who should have never had a certificate :/

Copeland Labour MP Jamie Reed , has said that it is tougher to buy children’s medicine than it is to buy bullets. See here:

http://www.newsandstar.co.uk/news/easier-to-buy-bullets-than-calpol-claims-cumbrian-mp-1.912329?referrerPath=news

What an ill informed lot of twaddle! Shocking! :no:

BASC is writing to Jamie Reed MP to correct his opinion and has given a quote to the newspaper.

Last time we checked there was no requirement to produce a valid police-issued certificate when buying children's over-the-counter medicines.

David

Copeland Labour MP Jamie Reed , has said that it is tougher to buy children’s medicine than it is to buy bullets. See here:

http://www.newsandstar.co.uk/news/easier-to-buy-bullets-than-calpol-claims-cumbrian-mp-1.912329?referrerPath=news

What an ill informed lot of twaddle! Shocking! :no:

BASC is writing to Jamie Reed MP to correct his opinion and has given a quote to the newspaper.

Last time we checked there was no requirement to produce a valid police-issued certificate when buying children's over-the-counter medicines.

David

:good:

when i first heard the news i was looking at sky news i then heard the sky news bloke mention that the person who done this has up to 4 licences for firearms, ( if only they new the truth of how it all works ?)

and then heard a shooter on the Jeremy vine show state that he had been shooting for 30 years and he then stated you cannot get a firearm without being a member of a shooting club ?? (done us no favour there)

but to cap it all was this one on the same show.

i guy emailed Jeremy from some place in Plymouth i think, stating that he could get Jeremy any gun within the hour should he like one, and he was offered

wait for this,

a Russian sniper rifle that is accurate up to 1" at 3000 mtrs and that would only set you back £2,000, just where do these people come from, dream on,

the final comment maid by another shooter was that guns don't kill people,,people kill people,

sad news indeed, my thoughts are with the families at this time.

bob

Edited by Cranfield
Edited to remove a comment about a previous post that has been removed.

How to contact Reed:

http://jamiereedmp.com/contact.php

My effort:

'I was shocked at the irresponsible claims attributed to you in news reports today. The licensing procedure for the procurement of ammunition is very stringent, to claim it is easier to purchase childrens medicine than ammunition is simply wrong. Are you and Diane Abbot in some kind of contest to make the Labour Party appear foolish?'

I expect others can do a lot better than me.

David

Nor indeed a limit on the number of bottles one could keep at home. Or the restriction that you can only buy the types you are liscenced for.

Sent to Mr Reed

Dear Mr Reed,

I am shocked and stunned at the comments you have made to the News & Star Online regarding the recent tragedy in Horden. To suggest that purchasing ammunition for restricted firearms is akin to purchasing children's medicine not only exposes your complete lack of knowledge on the subject but the utter contempt that you must treat your constituents with many of whom will be licencees of Firearms and Shotguns. Your position as MP is to represent your constituents not to express your personal delusions and agenda.

Edited by HDAV

"It is still harder to buy Calpol for a poorly child than it is to buy bullets"

I have never had to produce a photographic identity certificate, which has been refereed by a person of authority, supported by a Police Firearms Enquiry Officer and ultimately signed by the Chief Of Police for my local force in order to buy Calpol. You are an absolute idiot, you know not of what you talk about. But at least you are getting your name in the papers, I'm sure Mothers Against Guns all over Copeland will be voting for you in the future while your ridiculous comments damage legal shooting sports further. Please, don't say any more to the press.

:oops:

Absolutely 100% just trying to get his name in the lights by making outlandish and ridiculous comments.

I have sent the clown Reid the following:

Dear Mr Reid

Firstly let me say that I am appalled at your ridiculous comments quoted on the News & Star website! Please advise me that you did not indeed state that it was "easier to purchase Calpol than bullets"?

Being a section 2 firearms certificate holder I can assure you and your constituents that it is much easier for me to walk into my local chemist, no actually I don't even need to walk to the chemist I can simply pop into my local supermarket or garage and purchase Calpol and guess what? I don’t even need a licence/certificate to do so! However when I purchase cartridges for my shotgun I only have one shop in a 15-20 mile radius that will only sell them to me once I have shown them my shotgun certificate. The certificate that I was issued by the chief constable of central Scotland police once adequate and statutory checks had been completed on me. I cannot send my Wife to the registered firearms dealer for me nor can I send my babysitter to pick up the cartridges as I can for my Sons Calpol! So please advise in what way s it easier to purchase bullets than Calpol?

If you want to make a fool of yourself with everyone in the UK who knows what the UK's firearms laws are like go ahead as I am sure there will be many voters who don't know the law and will think you are on some crusade to make us all safer when indeed you are simply trying to win votes!

I have been a Labour voter all my life but stupid comments such as yours is seriously making me think that there are more sensible options out there!

I await your response.

Regards

I wonder what bog standard "I didnt actually mean what they quoted" ******** response I will receive!

Just been looking at this chap's website... I hope he met all the specific requirements to legally take that deer with the shotgun he is proudly displaying behind it! :hmm:

thought the exemption was larger THAN AAA or a solid slug his website says he USED AAA so it seems he did not meet the criteria :hmm:

KW

trple A or larger chap

from the legislation chap

KW

Though there are conditions surrounding this exception (most notably that the gun must be no smaller than 12 bore, and the shot size must be larger than AAA or a single slug)

or you can read this

http://www.shootinggazette.co.uk/news/278572/British_Deer_Society_calls_for_an_end_to_shotgun_use.html

Edited by kdubya

This is the actual 1991 Deer Act... http://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/1991/54/section/7

(2)Subject to subsection (3) below, a person to whom this section applies shall not be guilty of an offence under section 4(2)(a) above by reason of the use, for the purpose of taking or killing any deer on any land, of any smooth-bore gun of not less gauge than 12 bore which is loaded with— .

(a)a cartridge containing a single non-spherical projectile weighing not less than 22.68 grammes (350 grains); or .

(b )a cartridge purporting to contain shot each of which is .203 inches (5.16 millimetres) in diameter (that is to say, size AAA).

I am not sure if this was badly written but notice that it doesn't say larger than 5.16mm/AAA or even at least 5.16mm/AAA.

It just says is 5.16mm/AAA, which strictly means only AAA is permitted, not anything larger or anything smaller? (Except for slugs listed separately). Unless I am missing something.