my first shot gun certificate

gemini52

I applied for my first sgc about thirteen years ago,had a section one ticket since 1977, after the pistol ban i could not get into shooting rifles and my brother took me on to a pheasant shoot and i was hooked,so the form went in to merseyside police, about two weeks later i got a call from the feo telling me the form seems in order the only thing to sort out before the visit will be to interview your wife at birkenhead police station to make sure she has no objection to firearms being in the house i asked him why,he replied its the new rules now thats how it is so not wanting to rock any boats i agreed,a date was sorted and she had the interview had the visit and two weeks later the sgc dropped on the matt It was still bugging me as to why my wife had to be involved so gave a mate a call from the pistol club i had belonged to and told him the tale,he said he had heard of no new rules but would find out for me any way the up shot of the story the firearms officer had just came back to work after being off sick with stress there was no new rules he decided to make them up himself,i found out later he had been taken off fire arm duties after a quiet word from the home office. :P

Edited by gemini52

IMO best thing to do is to get your missus to go to interview, pain in the **** but if would be a shame to get refused because they didn't speak to her. I think with these nobs that have been shooting people over the past two years there will be more of these interviews with close friends or family.

Happy New Year,

Lee

My wife was present for both my SGC and FAC Home Visits/Interviews! As I recall when I had my SGC visit the only thing the FEO said to her was how nice it was to visit a home that smelled of fresh baking and on the FAC visit he asked if she spent all of her time in the kitchen baking cos if so he would visit more often for fresh baked cake and cookies!

She certainly knew how to keep that FEO "sweet"! :lol::lol::lol:

Footnote: My original FEO (Peter Wilkinson) was a true gent and had a wonderful manner about him - Polite, helpful, knowledgable and never patronising, I can't speak highly enough of him! :yes::yes::yes:

feo chatted to my wife on my visit, just a general chat about being happy about the

guns and cartridges being in the house etc.

probably checking her out to make sure she wasnt a taxi driver. :lol:

bit strange that you wife was asked to go to the station for an interview in my opinion.

i think its pretty common for the feo to chat to your partner if they are at home at time of your visit.

When you think about it it does make sence to check out the partner as they are the next closest person to be able to unlock the gun cabinets, and it's not only men who go through loopy spells, just lucky and good checks by FEO's that 99.999% of us who own SGC or FAC are good citizens and control any anger to non physical actions.

Unfortunatly most women seem to be brought up to not like guns, where as most men are probably the opposite

IMO best thing to do is to get your missus to go to interview, pain in the **** but if would be a shame to get refused because they didn't speak to her. I think with these nobs that have been shooting people over the past two years there will be more of these interviews with close friends or family.

Happy New Year,

Lee

I agree mate i believe its a common practise in canada to interview wifes or partners its a small price to pay i suppose :yes:

My wife was present for both my SGC and FAC Home Visits/Interviews! As I recall when I had my SGC visit the only thing the FEO said to her was how nice it was to visit a home that smelled of fresh baking and on the FAC visit he asked if she spent all of her time in the kitchen baking cos if so he would visit more often for fresh baked cake and cookies!

She certainly knew how to keep that FEO "sweet"! :lol::lol::lol:

Footnote: My original FEO (Peter Wilkinson) was a true gent and had a wonderful manner about him - Polite, helpful, knowledgable and never patronising, I can't speak highly enough of him! :yes::yes::yes:

I had a visit from a feo from merseyside,wont mention his name went to check out the cabinet and i said to him do you shoot he replied no i dont shoot dont like guns and cant see the need for the public to have guns in the house,needless to say the conversation was cut short cound not wait to get the odius **** out of my house.

When the FEO came for my home visit for grant of SGC the only question he asked was why do you want a shotgun. I told him I had SGC when I was 14 (I'm now 27) and he didn't ask me any questions on safety or handling of guns. He asked if I lived with anyone, I gave him my mrs's name and date of birth, I assume for a basic check on the computer. He took a quick look at the cabinet and..... Job done.

Probably a good thing as I have already tested the water by mentioning a FAC and she wasn't impressed at all so the home visit for that may have to be when she is out.

I had a visit from a feo from merseyside,wont mention his name went to check out the cabinet and i said to him do you shoot he replied no i dont shoot dont like guns and cant see the need for the public to have guns in the house,needless to say the conversation was cut short cound not wait to get the odius **** out of my house.

Sounds like a complete tool to me!! Good riddance!

Wifey was there when my FLO last paid a visit... he said it was a welcome change as most wives are shood out of the room when he turns up. Said it gave him a much better understanding of our relationship etc.. He asked her what she thought, and she told him straight... she hates guns, doesn't really like having them in the house but wouldn't stop me pursuing my hobby..

He was grateful that she was honest and could see that we have a good friendly relationship..

So.. I don't see anything wrong in this, in fact I think it is the right thing to do but not on her own behind closed doors! :no:

I applied for my first sgc about thirteen years ago,had a section one ticket since 1977, after the pistol ban i could not get into shooting rifles and my brother took me on to a pheasant shoot and i was hooked,so the form went in to merseyside police, about two weeks later i got a call from the feo telling me the form seems in order the only thing to sort out before the visit will be to interview your wife at birkenhead police station to make sure she has no objection to firearms being in the house i asked him why,he replied its the new rules now thats how it is so not wanting to rock any boats i agreed,a date was sorted and she had the interview had the visit and two weeks later the sgc dropped on the matt It was still bugging me as to why my wife had to be involved so gave a mate a call from the pistol club i had belonged to and told him the tale,he said he had heard of no new rules but would find out for me any way the up shot of the story the firearms officer had just came back to work after being off sick with stress there was no new rules he decided to make them up himself,i found out later he had been taken off fire arm duties after a quiet word from the home office. :P

I'm in merseyside and FEO asked my mrs casually on first visit......... no probs. renewal last year no questions asked of her but she was there. No RULE as far as I know

• 3 weeks later...

feo chatted to my wife on my visit, just a general chat about being happy about the

guns and cartridges being in the house etc.

probably checking her out to make sure she wasnt a taxi driver. :lol:

bit strange that you wife was asked to go to the station for an interview in my opinion.

i think its pretty common for the feo to chat to your partner if they are at home at time of your visit.

C'MON already !!! Leave TaxiDriver Alone :angry: :yp:

I would think if your partner was home at time of FEO's visit it would extremely rude not to speak to them.

have you ever driven a taxi?

OIY Leave It !!!

:shoot:

I can't for the life of me understand why they have FEOs that are "atni guns" or "anti shooting", :no: surely this makes them biased right from from the outset so that they can not conduct a fair home visit or assess things with"an open mind"! :hmm:

ANYONE can be questioned about an applicant, wives, partners, whoever if there are deemed to be any reasons they should be, imminent divorce, restraining orders, anything that MAY have any influence on the applicants suitability!

Then again, many regions and individual FEO appear to just make up the Rules :hmm::hmm: as they go along!

My wife was against me having any guns in the house hates shooting and calls me a bunnie murderer :blink: i put on the form that guns would be stored at my parents house,which the feo visited after doing interview at my home with wife present,he had a chat with her and said it was quite common for wives to not like guns and for them to be stored off the premises and that he had no problem with it...........she changed her mind on me receiving sgc and i had to have cabinet checked at home and details changed.She is slowly coming round to the idea of shooting and my daugther now wants to do some clays :lol:

My feo is a patient man :blush: