a-max and v-max

What's the difference between an a-max and a v-max ? What is one supposed to do over the other ?

V-max are varmint bullets and A-max are for target shooters from what I understand. The V-max's polymer tip is longer and sits further into the bullet. A-max are not recommended for hunting but I've heard of people using them for it. Dont quote me on this but I've also heard that A-max's are not classed as expanding ammunition and can be bought without an FAC?

http://www.hornady.com/bullets

http://www.riflesintheuk.com/bullets.htm -look under the Varmint bullets subtitle.

Hope this helps!

The forum search facility doesn't work on 3 letter words which can be a pain sometimes.

here is one thread from a while ago which pretty much covers it http://forums.pigeonwatch.co.uk/forums/index.php?/topic/184251-the-a-max-controversy-resolved

Then there was this one from the last few days http://forums.pigeonwatch.co.uk/forums/index.php?/topic/191105-muntjac-with-22cfswhat-bullet/

which got closed down and had a follow topic here

http://forums.pigeonwatch.co.uk/forums/index.php?/topic/192262-a-max-and-deer-email-from-basc/ :good:

Edit to add:

a work around in future is to search the forum using google instead. For example type into google the following

site:forums.pigeonwatch.co.uk "a" "max"

and then you get plenty of results. :good:

Edited by HW682

? why do people always chose a max and v max :rolleyes: is it quite simply because the names are so similar?, why not the question

whats the difference between A max, SST, and V max ?

simple terms

A max is for target, that is to say it has been designed as a target head .... to be consistent, aero dynamic and have a high BC .... features of the poly tip .... and nothing else

V max is for vermin, because it has been designed to be consistent, aero dynamic and have a higher BC than a hollow point but also to expand ...... violently ..... expending its energy quickly inside the small ish critter resulting in a quick death

and SST is for medium to large game, because it has been designed to be consistent, aero dynamic and have a higher BC than a hollow point and to expand in a controlled manner .... because it needs to penetrate deeper whilst expending it's energy, resulting in a quick death

all 3 look similar with there red poly tip, but are very different in their terminal ballistics despite what others may say

all we need is for hornady to release a new designe and call it say Z max, how confusing would that be eh?? ;)

Edited by Paul223

woooo spooky, I'll bet within days Ford will release a new car and call it the C max, and no doubt a cola firm will release coke~cola max, or may be pepsi max :huh:

starting a whole new forum debate on which is more ethical, which will give the cleanest kill, z max or c max

Hornady SST looks the same is there any difference????

Basically no :)

They are all hollow tip and expand on impact, BUT (and it's a BIG BUT) it's the description and intended use as given by Hornady that guides the decision as to what they can/can't be shot at by UK law/guidance.

Edited by phaedra1106

Hornady SST looks the same is there any difference????

:blink: no of course not, hornady just like to waste lots of money on development and marketing because the a max does it all :rolleyes:

they are all designed to be different, and act in a different way on impact, otherwise hornady would be marketing the miracle all in one bullet which has 'explosive' expansion on varmints whilst still being able to punch right through the shoulder blade and chest cavity of a big red deer :lol:

I think someone sectioned them recently and there was no difference.

Also in England, intended purpose has no relevance on what you may shoot with the bullet. It does have relevance to the bullet's classification in law however. Those DESIGNED to expand are section 5, others are not.

Its the things you carnt see that make the difference like density,jacket thickness and design. I've haven't been reloading long and I know this

Funny the reply I got from Hornady when I emailed them asking if there was and difference between the two was "only tail profile and ogive length"

It was seen by many as a work around to having the bullets posted to them V-Max is expanding and face to face A-Max is not expanding and therefore postable - I did some home loads with A-Max - the things were bouncing all over the place, I got rid in favour of V-Max, If you hunt live quarry use V-Max, that's what they are designed for

Edited by adymorris

Funny the reply I got from Hornady when I emailed them asking if there was and difference between the two was "only tail profile and ogive length"

Didn't you post ther reply as. 'Just the wording on the box'

I to have e-mailed hornady earlier this afternoon

They must get thredders with Brits e-mailing them the same question over and over.......