1000 acre Walk

sako751sg

Nay going to bore all with usual so will keep it short.

Minus 6 this morning so work a no-no and decided to try a couple of places and one that i only shoot once a season for game but hammer the foxes on it all year round.Had a few wet summers and since its all wild birds its better to keep conservative with the shooting.First place loads of birds round the stubble edges with the frost and managed 6 and the second again was chock with pheasants and a superb number of hens which will hopefully mean plenty of broods this year and had 3 cocks and a hen.Theres a chance of woodcock anywhere really but the last bit is a wee bit of rough that usually holds 5-10on a decent day and with the frost i was pretty hopefull.All in i covered over 1000 acres and luckily in the last ten minutes of the walk Rab flushed 2 woodcock with one giving me a shot.Even then after i dropped it we looked for a good half hour with nay luck until i went 5 yards farrer oot than i thought it had dropped.Couldnt believe it had taken so long thinking about it now but the cover was thick and even Rab didnt get a sniff of it.A lack of cock here and its the thinnest on the ground i have seen them for a lot of years for some reason.

post-18885-0-14849800-1326735171.jpg

post-18885-0-67422400-1326735208.jpg

post-18885-0-37662600-1326735243.jpg

post-18885-0-26459000-1326735277.jpg

Nay going to bore all with usual so will keep it short.

Minus 6 this morning so work a no-no and decided to try a couple of places and one that i only shoot once a season for game but hammer the foxes on it all year round.Had a few wet summers and since its all wild birds its better to keep conservative with the shooting.First place loads of birds round the stubble edges with the frost and managed 6 and the second again was chock with pheasants and a superb number of hens which will hopefully mean plenty of broods this year and had 3 cocks and a hen.Theres a chance of woodcock anywhere really but the last bit is a wee bit of rough that usually holds 5-10on a decent day and with the frost i was pretty hopefull.All in i covered over 1000 acres and luckily in the last ten minutes of the walk Rab flushed 2 woodcock with one giving me a shot.Even then after i dropped it we looked for a good half hour with nay luck until i went 5 yards farrer oot than i thought it had dropped.Couldnt believe it had taken so long thinking about it now but the cover was thick and even Rab didnt get a sniff of it.A lack of cock here and its the thinnest on the ground i have seen them for a lot of years for some reason.

post-18885-0-14849800-1326735171.jpg

post-18885-0-67422400-1326735208.jpg

post-18885-0-37662600-1326735243.jpg

post-18885-0-26459000-1326735277.jpg

Superb picture and it gets better each time I look at it ! :D

Well done. You have some cracking wild pheasant shooting available. Take it the wee man was at school today. He'll be givin off!

Cheers fella.Very lucky yo have a good skelp of ground with a superb mix of game.When i told him was going shooting today he said i cant because hes got school!

Another good one, that looks like a great bit of country you have there. Is that Bennachie I see in the distance in the first photo.

Blackpowder

Cheers fella.Outstanding countryside and couldnt think of much better.That is Bennachie indeed and we are to the North of it.

Good read and a beautiful looking dog. :good:

Cheers on both accounts fella.

Another set of cracking pictures :good: and a good days shooting :yes:

Cheers fella.The two pheas retrieves had an outstanding backdrop for a pic which was spot on.

Well done again Dave.Lovely pics as always.

Cheers Mark.Another fine walk with more seasonal weather which makes it better.

Nice one, great wee write up and great pics.Ready made high seat on them straw bales as well cant be bad :D

Cheers fella.The bales would do a good job right enough.

great pics pal :good:

Ta fella.

Top darts again fella :good: Never got above -2 down hear all day,I had a sindicate day on the

day only seen 3 cock all day, this year over the season we have only shot 2 and normally shot 60-

80 over a seson, so poor down this way as well.

Cheers fella.It was minus 4 on the Jeep a wee while ago so will be a sharp night again.Thats a huge drop in cock numbers,and i would say we would see maybe 20-30 on oor walked up season and have only counted 5 this season.Hopefully its not a down trend and just a regional blip.

Well done :good: :good: :good:

Cheers fella.

Great pics :good:

Ta fella.

Spot on Dave. I like your posts and pictures. A very lucky man indeed with all that walked up shooting!

Cheers fella.I know exactly how lucky i am when i see some folks struggling to get ground.Its been a lot of door knocking and wasted time in places but its all worth it.

easy life :lol: :lol: :lol: well done buddy as alan said theres no many down here the now but this cold weather might bring some in rab,s starting to look a bit old now in some o those photos how old is he now buddy :good: :good: :good:

Its always the colder weather that puts me out for them but theres nay the numbers here the now.A wee drap of sna might increase them a wee bit and a walks nay the same if we dont flush a few.

Superb picture and it gets better each time I look at it ! :D

Cheers fella.

Beautiful countryside, i remember when i lived up there, on a day off i'd just drive into the hills and sit looking about!

It is a top place right enough fella.

Weel done on the Woodcock Dave :good: a rict tasty morsel ;) some dogs can be strange wae them & some won't even look at them :blink: Guid job Mac wisnae there - he wud uv hud a L & R :lol:

Cheers Tam.Rabs had nay probs with cock but it was awfy still and i dont think he got a scent.Saying that he was pretty knackered and probably thought get it your ******* self for a change.We were oot for aboot 6 hours near non stop and we were both on the last legs.Im going to have all shooting when Macs at school just so i stay better than him,lol.

Again Dave very nice Photos well done mate.

:good: :good: :good:

SGS

Cheers again Alex.

Nice write up as usual Dave and good pics. You have some really good ground to roam and looks like plenty of game on it!! That Rab is a fine dog, and from what I have seen gets a lot of work on birds, which in turn only makes him better.

Good shooting, what tubes--constriction are you using for upland?

Cheers Timothy.Very lucky to have some places i could walk round a whole day and still nay cover it all.Rabs a topper,but ive seen a serious slow doon in him this season so am looking to get a pup off him soon to take a bit of pressure off him.I have had 1/2 and 3/4 for everything except steel and never change them and seem to be ok.Im nay a believer in chopping and changing all the time.