do we need to start our game season later and finish later

On my game shoot we dont start to shoot birds untill November as they are just not fully tailed up and are still quite small,the shoot next to mine is a very big concern at that to start late October. As for this weekend being the last, birds are still about and looking at there best. As the winters get later is it not time for a change to these antiquated law regading the shooting of game. coments please.

Shoot grouse August - mid September, shoot partridge mid-September to end of October, shoot pheasant Nov, Dec, Jan its all just a rehearsal for the cream of the shooting year - roost shooting woodpigeon. I certainly would not like to see the end of the game season changed as it would muck up the much anticipated February roost shoots.

Blackpowder

On my game shoot we dont start to shoot birds untill November as they are just not fully tailed up and are still quite small,the shoot next to mine is a very big concern at that to start late October. As for this weekend being the last, birds are still about and looking at there best. As the winters get later is it not time for a change to these antiquated law regading the shooting of game. coments please.

We start very late October/early November on the pheasants - an extension for cocks only say until 15 February would not be out of order to my mind - you can shoot across the border in the Republic of Ireland until the end of February- I think.....

I would be adamant that the end of season for partridge, duck, woodcock, snipe etc stays as it is [ie 31 January] but can see the argument for pheasant - having said that, I will not cry into my boots if the pheasant season end is not extended - I would rather the start was moved back to say 15 - 18 October......

No to keep shooting wild pheasants after the end off the present season would be a disaster. You would be shooting the winters survivors which are next springs breeding stock. And you cant split reared and wild pheasants.

As for changing the start of the season it m ight be ok for big shoots ( which usualy do not start untli November anyway ,but as long as the shooter is selective October is fine to start the season. I used to shoot on a marshland shoot where if you did not bag your pheasants by early November they had all moved off to higher ground once the weather turned wet and cold.

Edited by anser2

No from me. Our duck shoot doesn't start till october and they are all wild birds, not reared they fly in and our pheasants are shot from last week of October till end of Jan. From mid Jan till May there is alot of pigeon shooting to do with a short rest in June then the early crop harvest starts in July right through till the end of Sept so my year is packed full of shooting opportunities, not to mention the start of the Rutting season where I find a few stalking days.

ATB,

Lee

We start very late October/early November on the pheasants - an extension for cocks only say until 15 February would not be out of order to my mind - you can shoot across the border in the Republic of Ireland until the end of February- I think.....

That's an interesting one and may have some mileage!

Pheasant shooting isn't my thing, but I am heavily involved with 2 different ones just the same, neither start until November!

Very simple solution to your problem.......get the poults out to wood earlier next year.

Surprised that it took 11 replies to get the answer in the end :good:

Good try, but it isn't quite that simple, we all know things can be done, but there are climatic seasons, like it or not, how much more shelter/protection/feeding/etc would be required?

Put simplistically that's rather like saying plant your carrots a month earlier if you want them to crop sooner!

Why stop there, rear them all indoors, feed, heat, clean and protect them, then release them into individual drives from the back of a truck, pushing them straight onto guns, that will negate the need for beaters as well.

:good::good: