part worn tyres

mikky

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I bought some for my Range Rover Sport. (I knew I wasnt going to keep it long) I had to go back three times in the end, it was a right pain. (slow punctures) I chose two matching pairs originally and ended up having four different makes and patterns, it was a right old mess.

I hindsight I should have just called around and bought some budget tyres. For the difference in price and peace of mind it would have been worth it. I probably did the difference in price in diesel and aggro and my time.

You live and learn. :rolleyes:

To be honest...

If it was my Lad i would gladly pay the extra for some new ones, as the only contact with the road the car has is 4 hands.

I attended a fatality that was down to a bulge (egg) on a front tyre fitted 2 weeks before, It was a Part worn £10 fitted item.

you do not know the history of the tyre, it may look fine but.... Only stopped on once at a great speed, side wall pushed or dragged.

Sub him some tyres, you would never live with your conscience otherwise.

I attended a fatality that was down to a bulge (egg)

Yep that's what happened to one of the ones I was going to buy.

The guy at the tyre place told me that he allows for 1 in 5 part worn tyres he buys to be a wrongun. It doesn't build confidence does it? :no:

I must admit i always buy part worn for both my car and the wife's car, the guy i use in guyhirn is great and i have never had a problem with any of them, costs me 15 quid each balanced and fitted for my car and 20 quid each for the wife's and they always last at least a year usually more with me doing about 45-50 miles a day,

He said he gets a lot of his from company cars who change them more often than needed.

Wow, why do people scrimp on possibly the most important part of a car?! When negotiating that bend at 60mph the only thing keeping you on the road is the cheap unknown tyres that were bought to save a few quid.

A lifetime of regret if it goes wrong for the sake of being cheap.

Wow, why do people scrimp on possibly the most important part of a car?! When negotiating that bend at 60mph the only thing keeping you on the road is the cheap unknown tyres that were bought to save a few quid.

+1 Tyres , Brakes, Steering are things that one should not be cheap . I would rather drive a car with bad paint worn seats dents all over than try to save on important things like Tyres etc.

For me its a case of as i have a disabled wife and only one full time income i have to have a car to get to work as i work 40 mins away from home as wages close to home are a pittance but i simply cannot afford to put full price parts on, hence why i spend £60 on 4 tyres rather than £160 which would also just be cheap low budget brands only they are new which part worn practically are where i buy anyway,

I also dont pay inflated garage prices so i get a mechanic friend to sort my car for cash when needed to save a few quid and i use universal parts to,

i think the reason most of the people that use them are the ones that cant afford to shell out on name brand luxuries, the ones i have always bought have been excellent quality usually still have the new nodules on the edges and the fitter always gives you them to check first to see that the quality is good, they also still come with a guarantee and will be sorted if your not satisfied.

low budget brands only they are new which part worn practically are where i buy anyway,

i can understand people with limited finances wanting to save money but if as you say the part worns you buy are virtually new why have they been taken off there original vehicle as i posted earlier a lot of part worns come off write offs (especially the ones with good tread ) the reason for the german imports used to be because of the tread minimum limit in germany it was say 6mm min and uk say 3mm so still good for another 3mm wear (dont quote me on said measurements ) i cant remember exactly i for safety reasons would urge anyone to buy new :good:

I heard that they come in from Germany as they are not allowed to repair a puncture over there as of the autobahn. Don't know how true it is.

I ran part worns for 10 years didn't have a problem with any of them. A 3 good pw or a cheap new one.

Another trick is to go round the scrappy and look in the boots for new ones balanced on rims ready to swap over if you don't have alloys :good:

I have bought and used part worns for the last 4 years, even when i was doing 400 miles a weekend from Tamworth to Kent. I have never had a problem with any of them, and happily use them. Normally get at least a year out of each tyre, and that is with normal driving on motorways ( tbh i dont go much over 60 tho .

HTH

Steve

I heard that they come in from Germany as they are not allowed to repair a puncture over there as of the autobahn. Don't know how true it is.

I ran part worns for 10 years didn't have a problem with any of them. A 3 good pw or a cheap new one.

Another trick is to go round the scrappy and look in the boots for new ones balanced on rims ready to swap over if you don't have alloys :good:

They are mostly from germany. You're verboten from running old and new tyres on the same axle out there so a bad puncture means two new tyres and we buy the good ones.

I really wouldn't take the risk. Whatever the story they have a history. When its for your family you would never forgive yourself if anything happened.

Its not just the wear, its how old they are. Rubber hardens with age. You can't see it but its there.

Edited by Vince Green

On the family car I put premium tyres on . On my run around I put part worn at £15 apiece as there is only me aboard . If I had a blow out then I may well take out someone elses family but until I can afford to get the good stuff then that is the way it is sadly . It is all I can do to get myself to and from work as it is never mind having a decent motor . Fact of life in the year 2012 even on a decent salary . Who gives a **** .