part worn tyres

mikky

I would recommend avoiding part worns unless it's for a tractor or agricultural vehicle, you can buy budget tyres as low as £30 a corner, why scrimp on such an important part of the car? If you are scrimping on this you would be better with a bus pass as it would be safer.

Low income is no excuse as i said deals can be found for budget tyres...it's just not worth the risk as you may kill you and your loved ones or have an accident and kill some other child/family you hit - all for the sake of £120 every 3 years on average (that's £3.33 a month!)

Regards,

Gixer

Edited by gixer1

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Used to work in a breakers yard-theres nothing wrong with part worns if you are careful-tyres used to have a date on them so (assuming they still do) check that out first.We used to get a lot of tyres from failed mot cars-people change their tyres before going for a ticket only to find that the car needs a load more work that makes keeping the car a false economy.We also had tyres that had come off new cars-some people are brand loyal and have their favorite tyres fitted before collecting their new car.

Edited by bruno22rf

The average part worn tyre may have as little as 3mm of tread remaining and the legal limit is 1.6mm so the cost of a part worn tyre being between £5-£10 and not knowing the history isn't worth it for maybe only 1000 miles or less. Your getting only 1.4mm of usable tread.

The date code is 4 numbers. I.e ( 2409 ) that means they were made in the 24 month of 2009. Anything over 6 years old isn't any good and will fail M.O.T

I'm sure there's been a slip of the fingers here, the first two digits give the week of manufacture, the second two are the year.

I never used to touch part worn tyres with a barge pole. I used to just buy mine online from germany, brand new for 1/2 the price in the UK, then get my local tyre place to fit them for a fiver a tyre. Unfortunately now, most tyre places I go to want 10 or even 15quid a tyre to fit tyres, which means buying cheap new online is uneconomical.

So, last time I needed some new tyres I went to a part worn place in Coventry which was recommended to me. They fitted 2 "part worn" tyres to my golf for £15 per tyre. Yes, £15 per tyre. I actually looked at the tyres before they were fitted and they had never been used. One was a Goodyear, the other a Michlean. Both would have been about 80quid each new. It looked like they had been originally spare tyres which had been unused, as they both were already on steel rims and had probably been sitting in some cars boot for a few years. They even had the new "bobbles" on them.

I did 20k on them before I sold the car and they were only 1/2 worn. Bargain!!!!

Now unfortunately I have a different car and the tyres on that cost nearly £200 each. Argh!!

Many years ago I used to use remoulds, until the day all the wires forming the carcuss came through the side wall, not a nice experiance. I now tend to use the budget range of tyres as the raods are diabolical around here and can scrub a front tyre in 15000 miles and the last rear ones lasted 25000.

The branded tyres should last longer and if doing a lot of motor way driving I would use branded ones, part worn tyres would not last that long with my car.

On the other hand as some one mentioned, I used to have a preferance of what tyre was fitted, and asked the garage to change the tyres over, so there were some very good tyres that could be reused, just a question of knowing / trusting the company who is supplying part worn are doing their best to check they are putting good part worn tyres on.

Actually a good quality, decent tyre with good road holding and wet weather capability won't last as long as cheap budget ones.

Reason being in order to get the good road holding ability the tyre is softer, more grippy but consequently will wear faster.

Don't have many part worn that side that are any good for road use. I tend to use the rubbish for farm work. I can do a new one for £40 all in. That's cost what I buy them in for. That's for a reinforced 165x13

the trouble is you never wear out trailer tyres.

I bought 5 new ones a few years ago, they have all got cracks now, the treads are like new.

I dont want to divert to far away from the original thread, but i fit Falken ZE912 tyres on all my cars. I pay £52.00 plus vat each tyre for my mazda 6 the cheapest unbranded was 45.00. My mate is a dealer so get them cheapish but before i knew him bought them online and fitted at a local garage for my old Volvo and that was cheapest way.

Very good tyre though I am both ends of the market, i tow a heavy caravan in all conditions but also drive quite hard when in the mood but have never been let down by the tyres in any situation. Also very quiet on the road. (by the way i am not a falken rep :lol: )

Edited by ferguson_tom