223 or 22-250?

adam f

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What's the pros and cons of these two rounds against each other? Trying to decide?

both will do the job at hand

223 = cheaper factory ammo

22.250 = better performance over the 223

if you reload there will only be pennies in it on price

if using a sound mod theres not a lot in it.barrel life again not much in it.

out of the two I would go for the best peformer which is the 22.250 as its faster and flatter over distance

Edited by Ackley

Ackley thanks - exactly what I was looking for.

I did try a search on here to avoid going over old ground by the search facility didnt like 22-250 however I typed it! Ive been offered a rifle at a good price in 22-250 so thats the favourite so far.

there a superb caliber I used one for years you will find factory ammo is a bit pricey unless the rifle likes the cheap privi stuff,reloading is the way forward if you have to start buying all the gear it can get expensive if you have amate who reloads bung him a few quid to use his gear untill your get your own

And 243 is better than 22-250 :yp:

without a dought but hes not asking about that caliber :P the 243 Ackley is better than ther std 243 :lol:

precisely there are so many plus and negative points. Cheap 2nd hand 22-250's are quite common due to barrel wear etc If you are handloading there isn't much in it but on factory ammo the .223 wins hands down due to everywhere stocking the ammo and price isn't as painful

Unless you shoot deer 223 plenty of power.If for foxing only why do you need more power etc.Most foxes are taken under 250y,223 at zeroed

at 200y 1 high 100y.50g accutip. Energy at 200y 700lb 250 about 600lb drop 2 and half in.How flat and how much power do you really need :hmm: I rest my case for the 223. :lol: :lol:

Shot foxes out to 400y in daylight no prob 380ish lb 21in drop.I would not like to be hit by one thats for sure :lol:

Hi there, I used a 22.250 for over 20yrs homeloading a round to about 4000fps also had a 222 which was also extremely accurate...( at one time it held the bench-rest record)...if you're just using it for fox and vermin control it will not make any difference to your fox kills- Dead = Dead...on the other hand if you are Target shooting both calibres will out shoot each other at different competitions as some people will have found a good load/gun/scope combination all which contribute on the range......most target shooters are unsatisfied if their 2nd shot rips the hole that their 1st shot made and doesnt pass cleanly through...a Fox at 100yds to 200yds at night does'nt call for that kind of accuracy.

Just out of interest...when i first started reloading, which was quite interesting at first....until you develope a good load, then you tend to stick with it, the best round I loaded I used for 9 years without change!!....the only reason I changed from 222 was the Police asked me to get a single shot and they would be prepared to open my FAC...which I'd only had for 10 mths and needed..as I was a self-employed pest controler and was constantly being requested by different farms so I purchased a ruger no1 which at that time Ruger only offered it in 22.250 not .222 or I would not have changed.

Old words of advice are the Best ...(often repeated)...spend more money on the scope than the gun!!

Best wishes....Dale.

Really????

I've got a spot for one and been looking for a while. Don't suppose I'd use it a great deal so not bothered about it being wonderful. Haven't seen anything less than £600??

Just saw this comment. You don't want a rifle with the rifling burnt out. Buying a heap 22.250 could cost you more, I'd get new or from someone you know and use of rifle.

ATB, Lee

No chance!! I have both and 22-250 far outshoots the 243. For foxes there is simply no better round (maybe a 20 tactical). I have shot foxes at 300-400 yards with the 22-250 and it didn't move an inch and half from aim to impact. If you match the gun to the ammo and are a good shot you can achieve amazing results with a 22-250 for example a sako/tikkat3 with 50gr sako ammo. Also for fox shooting you want the flattest bullet you can get as when out at night its hard to judge distance. I shoot over 250 foxes a year with 22-250 and about 70 with 243. Never missed or had a runner off either but had some low shots at 300 yards on small foxes with 243.

Only upside about 223 is the price and you can get a AR-15 or a bullpop for playing too. If you ever shoot any targets. Think about the matching of ammo to rifle as I said its a key thing! :)

No chance!! I have both and 22-250 far outshoots the 243. For foxes there is simply no better round (maybe a 20 tactical). I have shot foxes at 300-400 yards with the 22-250 and it didn't move an inch and half from aim to impact. If you match the gun to the ammo and are a good shot you can achieve amazing results with a 22-250 for example a sako/tikkat3 with 50gr sako ammo. Also for fox shooting you want the flattest bullet you can get as when out at night its hard to judge distance. I shoot over 250 foxes a year with 22-250 and about 70 with 243. Never missed or had a runner off either but had some low shots at 300 yards on small foxes with 243.

Only upside about 223 is the price and you can get a AR-15 or a bullpop for playing too. If you ever shoot any targets. Think about the matching of ammo to rifle as I said its a key thing! :)

are you on drugs :blink: the 22.250 outshoots a 243 what planet are you on mate,for starters a 250 eith a 50gr bullet may be doing 3600 fps a 243 with a 70 gr will do that easy not to mention the 243 will hit harder and have a lot less wind drift

at the end of the day dead is dead no matter what you use BUT dont come on here spouting rubbish that a 250 outshoots a 243

by the way you must be some shot to have never missed or had a runner,you claim of being able to put 6 bullets through the same hole on a cold barrel using factory and and a factory rifle seems a little jackonory as well

Edited by Ackley

Can anyone put up a tragejctory chart for the 22-250 zeroed at say 100yards :good:

I would like to see exactly how flat these rounds are !

And out of interest one for the .223 would be good also ! :good:

you will need someone who has done the job right with real time data,and not just guessing of a ballistic calculator,it will give you a little idea but only factory ammo tested

theses links may help you

http://www.chuckhawks.com/223rem.htm

http://www.chuckhawks.com/22-250rem.htm

Edited by Ackley

I find the ballistics software supplied by the manufacturer to be quite good. Even if you aren't using their ammo, it gives you a great comparison between different rounds and won't be far off the mark.

The link to the Winchester calculator is ballistic calculater

Edited by Dunkield

are you on drugs :blink: the 22.250 outshoots a 243 what planet are you on mate,for starters a 250 eith a 50gr bullet may be doing 3600 fps a 243 with a 70 gr will do that easy not to mention the 243 will hit harder and have a lot less wind drift

at the end of the day dead is dead no matter what you use BUT dont come on here spouting rubbish that a 250 outshoots a 243

by the way you must be some shot to have never missed or had a runner,you claim of being able to put 6 bullets through the same hole on a cold barrel using factory and and a factory rifle seems a little jackonory as well

Next time you come to yorkshire let me no I'll take you to stead hall firearms and show you! I don't talk rubbish. I have both calibres and that is my opinion on both. I have had my 22-250 for a few years now and I shoot full batches of sako bullets through a sako made gun. Even the guy at stead hall couldn't believe that it only slightly takes the edge of the hole out. If you come up let me no you can come out with us lamping and you will see that what I said is true.

Also the 243 has the same case and the same powder and the only difference is the size of the shoulder there's no more powder. Yes there is more damage and will have less wind drift but does increase the drop over longer distances. Don't get me wrong I'm not saying the 243 isn't a fantastic round but it is not as good for foxes at long distances as you have to account for its bullet drop with heavy bullets. I haven't shot 70 gr bullets in it only 90 gr. I may change my mind if I did but there's no point in putting 70 gr in a 243 because you can put that in a 22-250 you want atleast 85 gr bullets to have the difference between them. It is obvious the 243 has more killing power but its only a fox you can kill them well with 17hmr and 22 hornet so either of these are definitely going to be the the perfect fox killers in the right hands as them rounds can do the job and there nothing compaired to these.